• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 15, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ted, you're very welcome (<font size="-2">that's why I'm the Keeper of the Photos</font>)
happy.gif
Yes, very simple really just cut and widen. The belt setup does not change it is the same for both the QAxx and QAxxA. The only change came with the QAxxB which was for the 82 series Cubs which used a 5/8" belt rather than the 3/8" belt that the narrow frame and non-82 series wide frames use so, on the QAxxB the pulley is wider. Hope that made sense.

Todd, check that stuff I sent you the other day, there are details there that tell how to service the creeper. <font size="-2">Also check your email I just sent additional info.</font>

Kraig- Got your email and will check the material you sent this evening. Getting some very light snow today so need to get this beast back up and running before the real snow falls.

Thanks for all your help.

Ted, Kraig,

Yep.. those is my solution
crash.gif
... If I had to do it again, I'd cut the carriage in half to widen, but you'd also have to adapt the bracket that goes between the carriage and the blower housing. what I did works, but I found out why they redesigned the blower lift mechanism on wide frames. The 4 link model lifts the blower straight up, unlike the NF version which actually pivots toward the front grille. My chute hits the grill when I lift, which is a PITA sometimes.. I was going to make an extension to move the blower away from the front, but... I guess it would have been best to trade the NF blower in for a WF one from one of the sponsors...
32340.jpg

Scott, thanks for the update on your QAxx subframe mod and for the additional photo. I think I have that photo somewhere but couldn't find it in the few minutes I spent looking.

OK, another newbie question about the forum mechanics:

When I say I want to view posts for the last 3 days, it will tell me there is blah, blah posts on 3 pages, and list (1) page of posts, but how do I select the different pages? I CANNOT find that little "page" button/icon to go thru the pages of posts. What am I missing?

Scott & Kraig:
Regarding the shute on the snow blower hitting the front of the tractor.
I have a 129 with QA 42 with the same problem (which I did not like). I removed the first section of the shute and put in a 12 inch straight section and then put that section back then the secton that governs the height. I think that this will work. I mounted it and did a lift and it only hits when the shute is all way to the side.
I have to find a pulley yet and then I can mount it and waite for snow and then see how it works.
Earl

Earl..

Let us know how it works out... Mine lifts OK as long as the chute is straight foward or pretty close to it, but off to the side it hits...

OK, since I can't figure out how to view posts from farther back than 11/15, I will attempt to flog the snowblower horse again:

You guys advised me that the QAxx-series are only good for a NF Cub, while a QAxxA-series is good for both NF and WF. I understand that, accept it, and hope that you won't berate me for going there again:

The QA42 I WAS going to go look at for my 1450: The seller ASSURES me that it will fit a WF, that IH made the QA36 and 42 in both NF and WF versions, and that the QAxxA-series is just adjustable for both.

Is he smoking crack, and will I be making a wasted trip to look at it?

Ted, sounds like he doesn't know what he has. The QAxx was made before there were any wide frame Cub Cadets, when they came out with the wide frame Cub Cadets they made the QAxxA snowthrowers that would fit both. Why bother making a wide frame only version? They did later however, (narrow frame CCs had not been made for almost 10 years so there was not much need for new snowthrowers to fit them) but they were not QAxx snow throwers they were the H series (H for Haban the manufacturer) that came out to fit the 82 series Cub Cadets (true for a short while they made the QAxxB that were also for the 82 series Cub Cadets).

Ted, it's rarely a wasted trip to go look at Cub Cadets and/or attachments for them. :eek:)

Earl, any chance you could post a photo of your modification?

Kraig-

Thanks for the history, and it makes better sense now. I think I WILL go check it out, 'cause if it's in good shape, for $100 and the mod described previously, it could be a good deal.

Ted

Ted B. -

You're not missing anything but your browser's "BACK" button
wink.gif

It's a statistical message, not something to navigate with. If you were meant to navigate with it, there would be, as you say, links or buttons to click.

If you don't like the way it works, let the folks at www.discusware.com know
wink.gif

Wire from points to coil was the problem. Jumpered it and started up.

Examined old wire - found a little nick in the rubber which killed it. (Let in salt I presume.)

Thanks Terry

Kraig:
I am going to try and get the blower mounted this weekend and if I do I will post some pictures.
Can someone verify what I think the correct pulley should be.
I have read many postings regarding changing the pulley and went to Grainger to see what they had.
My thought is that I need a cast iron 3 inch OD pulley to fit an "A" belt (which I understand is about 1/2 inch wide)with a pitch of 2 1/2 inches.
Grainger only some a little bigger or smaller so I am going to try a small engine shop.
Am I asking for the correct pulley or will they laugh at me.
I appreciate any help with the pulley language
Earl

Earl L -

Grainger's not the ONLY MRO supplier on the web
wink.gif

Try McMaster...

Earl L.
Here's one of the pulleys that was sent to me last winter. The guys wife had to have the missing piece from the pulley removed from her hip!
32355.jpg

If you do go to a smaller pulley, don't go less than a 3" CAST IRON/STEEL pulley and it's really a good idea to do a complete rebuild of your thrower, bearings, chain, sprocket and u-joints.
They were not designed to spin that fast! So every precaution should be taken.
And a check of everything before and after every use is highly advised!
Remember! Grease is your best buddy, who cares if ya fling it down the street, it will wipe off anything.

Mike,
I see it as a guy lookin to gouge an uninformed IH or Cub Cadet collector with an OUTRAGEOUS opening bid that also needs a spell checker.
That's JMHO though.

Latest posts

Back