Archive through July 11, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 102 been gettin a workout this week. My wife's kids have been wanting to go in the woods so we have been riding down one the 102 with the wagon. Got to where my tree stand was, ya was...some jerk decided they needed it more than I, and mowed down some of the goldenrod, weeds, and brush. This stuff has to be 5' tall. Note to self...GET THAT SICKLE BAR DONE... If I can't find a universal to fit the F-Cub PTO I guess I'll have to throw together an old deck for a brush cutter for the 73. We've been down there 3 days now on the 102, the kids have been lovin it.

i saw in the past that ih-1 was a correct exhaust for the 100, also ih-2 worked. i know you connect it with pipe of the same size 1-1/8 inch i think, but i heard that you need to have brackets holding it in place so as not to crack the head. need some more info. thanx,
Micahel R.

ART URBAN...just a note on proposed primer. As I recall Rusty Metal primer is deep red color. The yellow paints seem to be a bit thin on pigment and you may need many coats to cover your primer. Consider using Loctite EXTEND rust neutralizer. Its a clear spray, then Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer. Its almost a white color that yellows cover nicely. Maybe others will comment on primer colors. Did this this Spring and was very happy as opposed to the red stuff.

I figured I'd stick my toe in the water and say, "Hey". I've got several CC's- a 122, a 70, and a recently acquired Original. I've given up on trying to post pictures for now (I'm an old fart that is pretty weak on computer skills). I do have a question on paint- What do you thin the CC brand paints with? The can doesn't offer a clue- doesn't even say what kind of paint it is! Thanks for any help!
J

Just got my 104 out of the shop. Had the front PTO replaced. Just put the extra chrome on today. Runs and cuts great. Thanks to those who answered questions!
88768.jpg

88769.jpg

Allen-
Good points on the Loctite and primer. Thanx.
I do have some of the rust converter, different brand though.
However, I wasnt impressed with it the couple times I tried. Granted the rust I used it on was pretty heavy, as the road salt in NY is nasty, and I'm not sure my prep work was all that great.

I am putting together a couple electrolysis buckets I want to try on the Cub, so might not have any rust to deal with, just the pitting.
The only reason I was thinking of using the Rusty Metal primer, is because I already have a few cans, as I use a lot of it on my rusty old Toyotas, and as a finish coat for metal ammo cans for use as geocache containers. (The redish color blends in WELL with rotten old red pines, forest floors matted with pine needles, and dry leaves.)

BUT, since you bring up the point about the Yellow covering a lighter color, maybe I will spring for a few cans of the Clean Metal primer.

ALthough, I remember a posting not long ago, verifying that IH actually used a red primer originally on the Cub Cadets.

Gordon, WOW! Beautiful 104. Love the full ags and hubcap look. Are the fronts 16x8.5's?

582 not charging properly. When the engine is on and running the amp gauge needle is only about 1/4 inch on charging side of the dial. It never moves any more than that, even when first started. When I turn on the lights, the gauge shows discharge. My brother owns the 582, and says it never did charge well and that the voltage regulator was bad. I replaced the voltage regulator, and though it does show a slight charge it doesn't seem to be charging enough. Before I replaced it, it didn't charge at all. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

John-David Reaves - Roll Tide

Gordon - that looks like a Harley air cleaner..does the Kohler idle now sound like "Potato, Potato, Potato, Potato" ?

Art - Keep us posted on how the electrolysis works out - I've been really happy so far . I would knock off loose rust before starting, as all the crud ends up floating in the tank. I'm just about ready to set up a small stock trough to help get some bigger industrial stuff de-resuted..

Art U. I had a 'rust protector' primer a while back that looked like black paint. Wasn't thrilled with it. The Loctite is thin and penetrates well...you know when it works as the rust turns black and seems to be well sealed in. Down side is a 24hr dry time. P.S. they do ugley stuff to roads here in Central Jersey in winter also. Raises hobb with grass on road edge!

Cub Cadet Yellow spray paint. I found that ACE Hardware SCHOOL BUS YELLOW enamel spray paint is virtually identical to the Cub Cadet Yellow paint. I restored a 126 with this color. It looked great. After spraying the School Bus Yellow enamel, I oversprayed with clear gloss lacquer spray paint, just as the enamel dried to the touch. It has held up for about 8 or 9 years now. The lacquer paint provides a super hard coating on top of he enamel to make it more resistant to oil and gas that might drop on it. I use ACE products because I have found them to be quality products. ACE premium spray paints have additives to help fight and cover rust. They are manufactured by Krylon for ACE.

I'm not affiliated with ACE, I just use their products.

Thanks for reading,

John-David Reaves

Kendall-
I have a 7 gal bucket, and a long, shallow fiberglass bin to use for Cub frames, and Toyota axle housings...
happy.gif

Heres the 123 rear in it after a cleaning with degreaser. I think its maybe 40" or 42" long...

88773.jpg

88774.jpg

I got a bunch of scrap rebar from a nearby bridge the town replaced, to use as electrodes.
I also bought a jug of the pH Balancer for pools to use.

Cant wait to get it all up and running, so I can see how effective it is against 20 yrs of NY road salt...LOL

Good evening all, I just got home from attending the Tuckahoe Steam&Gas show held annually here. I spotted a few cubs(the theme this year was green ones
angry.gif
)
88790.jpg

88791.jpg

88792.jpg

Honey, cub stuff followed me home again. Can we keep it, I'll take care of it.
roflol.gif

88793.jpg

Allen,
Where do you buy the spray cans of Extend? I haven't found it in awhile.

I got this 682 about a year ago and it's been sitting behind the garage all this time waiting for it's turn to get some attention....I've been too busy with the yellow and white ones!

Well, today I finally started in on it...didn't have a clue if the engine was any good. After new points, condenser, plugs and wires, and alot of cranking and adjusting, it sputtered to life.

Now I can't believe how nicely this Series II runs; it starts on the first crank and purrs like a kitten. Never been a big fan of these red ones, but I'm kinda liking this one.

Unfortunately she will have to wait awhile for some new paint...too many narrow frames ahead of her. But I'll probably start it up pretty often just to hear that sweet sound.

88796.jpg

Sorry about that last post Charlie; I thought I was on the CCC/MTD Forum.

Michael M, glad ya got the 682 running! I have one too, but I have the Mag 18 in mine. I have also been too busy with my yellow and white cub to get to the red one...
thumbsup.gif

Latest posts

Back