• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 01, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glen, looks great!
greenthumb.gif

LUCAS - If anything, would think the fenders on a 147 would get in the way worse than the ones on a 122 but I could be wrong, but interference on the lift bar/pivot would be the only problem.

Thanks guys, im proud of it myself. Ok, so i had my coil tested, its good, as is my condenser...however i did some multi-metering and found that ive got full power on the positive side coming from the ignition switch (same as battery) and ive got the same on the plug wire, and the negative side of the coil as well (all while the ignition is in the run position and the points closed) that doesnt seem right to me. ive got the points grounded to the coil via a wire attached to the screw that holds the spring for the breaker arm and the negative side of the coil. im slowly losing my mind tryin to figure this thing out.

Glen if I understand you right, check the wire from the points to the coil. Take the end off the coil and see if the points still ground the wire and then open when the points open. If that wire is shorted you won't get any spark.

Ive got a feeling my timing is off just a little from when i assembled the engine, the dot on the cam gear and the marks on the crankshaft didnt line up exactly but theyre very close, maybe a gear tooth off at most. im gonna lose my mind if i have to take my engine back apart to try and realign the marks. It trys to start but it spits and backfires out of the carb (or at least shoots out fuel vapor), maybe i need to adjust the fuel or something, i dont know. Just pulling my hair out trying to get it started.

Thats what i was afraid of, guess i gotta pull my engine apart again and make sure all is as its supposed to be
sad.gif

yummy.gif
bannana_guitar.gif

It looks great Glen! Great job! Definatly a thumbs up here! I wouldn't change the front tires...they are look'n great! You could always put the second light in the fenders and aim it outwards couldn't you? Unless you wanted to see what boots you were wearing that night plowing snow?
1a_scratchhead.gif
I can't wait to see more pictures. You going to throw some weights on the rear or you loading the tru powers?

I am jellous....I wish I had your tallent!!

Glen, I agree with mike keep the stones. they steer real nice. I wouldn't switch unless you decide to go with bigger tires on the rear.
I had those firestones on my tractor and loved them, but then i put 26s on the rear and they looked to small so I went with 18s.
the Vs steer like crap especially if you put any weight on the front, but they do look cool.

I have recently aquired an old Cub Cadet tractor with all the fixins, except snowblower.
I am having a hard time finding the serial number so I can find out the model. I do know it has fenders and running boards from early 70's tractor. From what I was told it didn't have fenders to begin with.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where the serial number might be? It's not on the rear end. As soon as I can get a picture I'll post. Thanks
Rob

Mike and Zack, thank you both. I plan on adding weight on the rear now that ive got my fancy new three point, however so far i havent needed it (doesnt snow a whole lot here in Maryland). I agree, the firestones do steer nice, but i got young arms so i think im gonna suffer through the V61's (if/when i do get them), im thinking the larger tires will float some since theyre a good two inches wider than my current tires. on another note, i took the bearing plate off the engine and low and behold, my marks appear to be lined up (the dot and mark closest to gear on crank are in line, unless i needed to use the secondary mark by the conn. rod.) heres a picture, look real close, my camera sucks. Im checking my valve clearance now...idk WTH is goin on with this goofy thing honestly. Ideas?

228332.jpg

Glen-

Your timing marks look right from here. Also, I think Zack is having trouble steering with the V61s because of his duals, not because of the V61s. The pair I have are the best steering tires I have ever used, and I've heard the same from dozens of other people.

Edit: If the valve lash is too tight the engine won't start hot very well. Where were they set?

Getting a better pic of the marks as we speak, the exhaust was only at 0.010" instead of the 0.017/0.019" the book calls for, and the intake had no clearance at all so its now adjusted to the 0.008/0.010" (set it at 0.010" to be safe). honestly i cant think of anything else hindering it from starting.

Matt, haha yeah the loaded dual 26-12s or the 5 42lb suitcases on the front probably don't help
the steering. That's why my next move is gonna be power steering, but i got to find all the parts and tap the rear end for more fluid

btw I did have those tires on it before the duals and the stones do steer much nicer simply because all the weight is on one center rib

Back