• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 04, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kraig!! I take it the pulleys are adjustable by loosening the bolts and re-positioning them at a different angle?

No, its a bending thing. Looking at them, I'd leave them alone...looks like they match the belt angles ok and arent twisted. If it runs smooth and doesn;t flop the belt all over I'd just go mow with it.....

Don M,

Also make sure your mule drive pulleys both spin freely and that there is no slop in the bearings. A bad/loose bearing will cause the belt to fly off quickly as well.

I'm with Kirk and Kraig on your pulleys being bent inwards towards each other a little too far, but give it try first as Steve B suggests. If it works, than you are good to go for a while.

Don - I'm gonna weigh in on your pulleys. I'm leaning with Steve's side and think they may be fine. I'd go ahead with trying it. Also, we really can't see your pulleys in any of the pics so I want you to look at the pic Kirk posted again. The pulley on the right side of his pic has a worn inside edge. That's telling me the pulley isn't in alignment and the belt is wearing the edge off. If either of your pulleys has an edge wearing smooth (either side looks different from the other) then you do have a mis-alignment and need to do a little tweaking BUT I'd still give your new belt a try to see how it works. When you tighten that front bolt you do want the belt pretty tight. I'm not sure I understand the IH instructions you mention - so what I will say is using your hand you should barely be able to compress both sides of the belt together to touch each other. When you think it's enough start her up and engage the deck and have a look see BEING VERY CAREFUL. The belt should be running smoothly and there should be no bouncing in the areas from the deck pulley to the mule drive pulleys. If it's bouncing on the sides you need to tighten that front bolt. I don't recommend you tighten it while it's running for safety reasons.

Also, before you go checking how your belt runs, I agree with Ron about checking each pulley. Yes they should turn freely but they shouldn't have any slop/play.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Harry, Edges of pulleys look and feel even to me. They are worn, but worn evenly. Camera angle on first pic may have been deceiving. I'm thinking my set-up MAY be close to right. The pieces of metal that the pulleys mount to are perfectly flat. Not bent. They are welded with a slight angle in two directions on the rod that they swivel on.

Who knows? May have been welded on a Friday close to beer-thirty....

322822.jpg

Kirk - yup, camera angle and distance must have made the right one look worn. They do look good now.

I completed the flame 100 renovation last night. Had to paint the hood twice because the "enamel" clear I put on the first job did not agree with the base coat. This caused a change of strategy on the second try meaning that the flames needed to be perfect because sanding and general basecoat cleanup will not be a step available without using a clearcoat.
The mistake worked in my favor because during the first paintjob I didn't notice that the lettering on the decal was cutout, thus exposing the paint behind it. The first flame paintjob would have shown through.
The biggest pains were waiting for enamel paint to dry enough for masking, and the amount of planning that had to go into flame location when combined with the decals.
I couldn't be more satisfied with the final product, and my wife (who demanded the flames as part of the tractor's history) loves the results.

322828.jpg

322829.jpg

322830.jpg

322834.jpg

322831.jpg

322832.jpg

322833.jpg

Back