• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 21, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard-

If you don't like dropping $12 on a air filter now and then, pick up the prefilter and use it. If you keep that clean, hardly anything gets to the paper element, and you have to replace it much less frequently.

Matt,
It's not a money thing. For the amount of use my Cubs get OEM stock filters will last a very long time. It's the cool factor. Right now all my Cubs do is cut grass pull a trailer sometimes and soon push some snow. I'm not kicking up dust with a tiller or a plow. And I'm not arguing that they are not as efficient.

When I was about 14 a neighbor had a 55 and a 56 Chevy. Those were the first oil bath cleaners I had ever seen. He explained how they worked. Since that time I have always remembered them when wetting air filters with oil. For me it's an old man thing and has nothing to do with correct or optimum performance.

Richard - it's not performance, it's wear .... Up our way, I see more dust when I'm mowing than any other use of the machine.. The ZTR has a premium air filtration system on it and even that needs the prefilter to be cleaned about once every two weeks when it's dry..

Marlin - let the cat sleep on you legs - my wife's knees ache all the time - the cat works as a great leg warmer...

IMO, that oil bath filter on Art's 10hp Plow Special really makes it a sleeper, hardly anyone notices that it's got a 10hp. Very high cool factor.
thumbsup.gif

Here is my two cents on rattle can paint. Cub Cadet vs. other.

I have used both. CC on the CCs and other on my 17 cu/ft. trailer. For ME CC paint cost 3 times as much as the other. But it sure seemed to me that I used 3 times as much of the other paint compared to CC paint. How will it last? Just did it and used two coast of clear on top of two coast of color. Time will tell.

need some advice I replaced the front wheel bearings on my 72 and now the wheel seems to have a lot of sideways play after tightening the screw up. Should I put like washers in the gap to try and take the play out or is there something better or don't do any thing. Thanks
still learning all the tricks and other little stuff to restoreing a cc this web site is so helpfull thanks to everybody that posts answer or even questions.

BJohnson, if you click HERE it'll take you to where I recently posted some pages from a manual on adjusting the regulator.

Morning guys, just out in the shop and read up on what was posted. Richard I thought I knew what you were asking about the oil bath filters and Ithought they woul look COOL as well. The info I posted I got from the CC parts look up and I knew better than The O does NOT take the same Head gasket as a 10K . But I just copied the info and posted. I like to have something to read here in the am,lol and well its nice to stir the pot sometimes. Later Don T

Donald Tanner,
Seems to me you get all the technical stuff right and then go and leave shop rags where they don't belong and try to start engines without gas.
clappy.gif
I always follow what you are up to.

In our never ending quest to find more wieght for our snow removal tractors, I picked these up from work. They were just going to throw them out, till I snagged them. They are traction wieghts, no pun intended, and it added another 62# to the 106. I figured with that, the 2 sets of wheel wieghts and my 155# butt, that brings me to a total of 319# in the rear. Plus chains, I think I have a good amount of wieght! I should have good "traction" this year!!
clappy.gif

179912.jpg

Richard P
I`am starting at the back of the 129 and working forward to check all bolts and connections Before I install the bucket and put it in use.I know that I have to check everything as i do get distracted and well there is usuall more than just me here and things get missed. Have a great day. later Don T
179920.jpg

Kendell/Richard P-
Look at it this way, if you run an oil-bath filter and end up wearing out an engine because of it, that just means you now have an excuse to build a HOT ROD motor to replace it!
Shift.gif

Just make sure you remember to EMPTY the oil-cup if you ever put that tractor on a trailer. The first time I didn't, the bouncing and 65mpg trailering winds gave that entire side of the tractor a much more "glossy" appearance by the time we got to Blunier's Plow Day event a few years back.
roflol.gif

Kraig-
beer2.gif

Art,
Thanks for the tip. I would have found that out on my own someday. My CCO with oil bath canister is gutted with a Briggs foam filter in there. It was rusted out beyond usability but I wanted to keep it on there and didn't want to buy another one. I got another O with oil bath filter and was gonna put oil in it this time.

Keith:
I was going to suggest looking for something like a small K&N that would fit inside... Great tip!

Art - put a baggy around it from the bottom and rubber band it ??? My luck I'd get there and forget to bring oil...

On the paint issue - seems like I prefer the "suede" look, after a few of my efforts... I spent a bunch of time on painting the frame on my F-100 after I put the Volare front end in it - used good Imron with hardener - looked really pretty till we dragged the tailshaft of the transmission across it when we put the engine back in, then scraped it some more fitting the front fenders pack on it......
bash.gif

Aaytay,

Well I could wait till I hear how yours totally screwed up your engine. Now that you mention it... I really have yet to see where the oil bath cleaners are destroying the engines on the Originals.
1a_scratchhead.gif

RICHARD P - Granted there's a DOZEN, heck maybe even a HUNDRED reasons, but 50 yrs ago car engines lasted 50,000 miles, farm tractor engines lasted 3000 to 4000 hours. Now days with today's improved oils, better air & oil filtration car engines last 200,000+ miles, tractor engines run 12,000+ hours.

We ran a CCO for two years with the oil bath air cleaner before it was traded for the 70 with the dry pleated paper filter. Mowing two big farm yards every week the 70 required rebuilding about every three years. Seeing as that was 45 yrs ago it's tough to say how much longer the CCO would have run without a rebuild, but it only mowed both yards a couple times the last year it was run, not near the hours the 70 ran every year.

Both My FARMALL's have oil bath air filters, but when the Super H gets rebuilt it will have a dry type installed. Since the FARMALL's are semi-retired it's not as big a deal now but back when they were doing fieldwork regularly there were times when both tractors were stirring up so much dust I could barely see beyond the end of the hoods when I was going with the wind.

And here I go agreeing with KENDELL again, lawn mowing is the dirtiest operation I do with ANY of My CC's. And when I mulch and vacuum leaves in the fall it gets unbelievably dusty & dirty. I also agree with Kraig, Art's Plow Special is a really sharp tractor, looks like a 7 HP at first glance, then You notice the engine seems "Different", then You see the custom decals.

DOUGLAS S. - Yes, a couple 3/4" ID flat washers behind the wheel between the washer welded to the spindle removes all the play in the wheels.

Dennis:
Let's get back to normal....
1: The earth is flat
2: The moon is made of green cheese
3: Leaded gas was to add power
4: The 1x8 and 1x9 series were the best looking of the IH built Cubs
5: Hydros rule
6: Loose tire chains work best
7: The Slanty grill 125's are goofy looking.

There, that oughta do it ....Heh Heh Heh
clappy.gif

Latest posts

Back