• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff B, thanks. I got them last night for Christmas.

Here are some pictures of the driveway cleared, and the pile.

251152.jpg

251153.jpg

251154.jpg

251155.jpg

ID given my wheel weights to my son for his 104 since hes using my old plow. Today id noticed I was spinning a lilso the extra weight would be good to get back on there...

Lucas,are you going to mow the yard now that ya got the snow removed? It sure looks like you could mow it...I want pics when you mow it....LOL

Probably would have melted tomorrow but your pile might last a few days.
lol.gif

Jon Stevens

I dough the pump shaft is worn ; The shaft is real hard and I bet your wear is in the rear coupler. I welded one shut and re-drilled it to get a better fit. Putting a hose clamp over the pin seems to work for awhile. The drive shaft is a pain to keep them good so I used a CV drive shaft off an 1862 .I still have the bushing coupler here and some day I will let it go for shipping to some needy tractor.

Lucas Jones

Looks like you spent some time there moving all that snow. I bet you got off a few times to turn the blade lol. Weather guesser says we might get a bunch a white stuff tomorrow ; I have my fingers crossed because I want some seat time to.
smile.gif

Hi all,
I recently purchased a hydraulic lift unit that I am going to use in place the electric lift on my 126. I am in the process of rebuilding the pump and cylinder. I was wondering if anybody who has done this before has any suggestions as to what to use for replacement O-rings. None of the Cub Cadet O-ring part numbers are available anymore, and I’ve not been able to find any NOS online. I did find the comparable sizes from suppliers, such as McMaster Carr. It seems the correct O-ring material would be Nitrile, since it’s supposed to be the best compound for hydraulic system applications. Does anybody have any suggestions otherwise?

Harry,

"I think most of us call that a "pulley". I've had people tell me it's more correctly called a sheave but most things I've found say they are really the same thing."

If I may, I would like to correct your thinking on the pulley versus sheave subject. They really are not the same thing.

The wisdom of an old Finlander mechanic with whom I once worked taught me that a Sheave is a wheel that is grooved to accept a V-belt. A Pulley is flat to accept a flat drive belt. Thus, a V-Belt runs on Sheives. Most motor drives and smaller width belts are V-Belts to get more bearing surface in a smaller space. A Flat belt, such as a belt that turns a separator or a hammermill on the farm would be driven by a pulley.

Most of the larger and many of the smaller letter series Farmall tractors had belt pulleys on them. This would be correct terminology. The Sheave, as illustrated in the QA photos, is also correct, because it is driven by or drives a V-Belt.

Scott, I don't have any information on the o-rings for the cylinder, but for the shaft seals I use a CR4911 seal. They're small enough you can get two of them in the shaft opening. Just be sure you don't cover the oil return hole if there's one there. For the pump "barrel" I use

251157.jpg

Hope this helps and someone else can give you some ideas on o-rings for the cylinder.

Sorry about that; wrong picture. I purchased these from McMaster Carr.

251159.jpg

Lucas Jones - that is one NICE 122. I 2nd Lew's
greenthumb.gif

I'll bet you had fun out there. I especially like that style of chains you got there. I've seen'm on the big tractors before but not on Garden units. About the only thing I can add here is that must be a "Ghost Rider" tractor. It seems to be moving around pic to pic, the lights are on and I assume the engine is running, but there is no driver in the pics.

Don T and Jon S - besides the issue with the drive shaft coupling Jon is trying to determine if he should have a ball coupler. He currently doesn't and he's seeing parts diagrams that show it. I'm hoping someone with a 782 can help address this question for Jon. Since the 782 was a product for several years by IH and then CCC I'm wondering if there are differences in the production run and it's not real clear in the parts Jon is looking at.

Amy - you must have the really old style bearings that are not sealed if you could see the big ball bearings. I think I've only ever seen those once. I'm pretty certain your replacements via Charlie will be the new style sealed bearings. Also, if your flanges happen to have the square holes for the rivets you can use carriage bolts to hold them on the bearings rather than using rivets again. If you got new flanges as well I'm almost certain they will have the square carriage bolt holes. Now, on the sheave or pulley reversal and re-alignment, I hate to say this but I'm pretty certain you'll have to dismount the thrower. Your access to the set screws must be really limited, and if you can't hardly see already to align the belt you'd really be struggling to remove and realign the pulley or sheave. Good luck with it. I'm sure hoping you have a warm shop/garage to work in.

Brian, Brian, Brian - oh boy, you can certainly "try" to correct my thinking, but on this issue "pulley vs. sheave" I don't think there is any hope. I wish there was a definite authority to go to for a clearly defined definition of each. Please don't get me wrong here. I don't doubt what you or the old Finlander mechanic taught you. I would like to point out if you look back at the 2nd pic Kraig posted (noted as Illust.8) it identifies the "Drive sheave" on the snow thrower. However, it also identifies the PTO clutch "pulley" and the "Drive belt" connecting these two wheels together. It does not identify the Drive Belt as a V-belt but we both know it is. And while you look at this Illust you can also see what is commonly called the "Basket Pulley" (not Basket Sheave) surrounding the PTO clutch. The Basket Pulley is connected using a V-belt to the S/G pulley. So are these really "sheaves" since they use a V-belt? I've also seen info that a sheave is the grooves for a V-belt cut into a pulley, or a sheave is a wheel with a v groove that is mounted to a pulley. So, I just don't know if there is really one "definition authority" for pulley and sheave, but it does make for a good discussion, except I do say pulley probably wins out since most people call a wheel with a goove for a v-belt a pulley. I wonder if the Correct Police might pop in here since I mentioned authority.

Lucas-
Do you know where those chains came from? Those are really neat!

Let me get this straight. Now we're arguing about 'sheave' vs 'pulley'???
bash.gif

Thanks guys for info on the QA-36 grease issue. Not sure what grease was used but sounds like it's a common issue so will probably just live with it. Gonna restore it in the spring so will clean it up good then check everything out. Thanks again all.

I vote we call it a circular grooved keyed and pinned power/torque transfer device/assembly.

1 Each, O.D. in color FSN41946275-00465.......

no wait.....that was 46 years ago when I worked for our Uncle....!!!

Dave S.

Terry D.
The only time you have to worry about slingin grease is if you have a cab on and it gets under the wiper midway through throwing snow, LOL

Lucas--I love the look of those chains on your AG's! My uncle uses those on his Case DC for snow removal and they work great. First time that I've seen them on a GT-COOL!

I got a slide convertor for Christmas this year and I've had a blast digging out my parents and grandparents old slides and converting them to digital format. So I thought I'd post a couple of "slides" from the mid 70's when my dad worked for Chief equipment in Oshkosh, WI.

251164.jpg

Look at the line up of new '66 tractors!

251165.jpg

Here my dad (standing on the ground) and a co worker have just finished setting up a "new" 815 combine complete with corn head.

Josh PLEASE post a bunch of those old dealer pics in the sandbox thread titled base of operations.
We have a good selection of pics started there

Those old pics are very cool, lets see a picture of your converter in the sandbox xmas thread

Thanks Jeff for the redirect. I'll be sure to do that this weekend. I've been on this forum for a couple of years now and didn't know that thread exsisted
lurking.gif
!!! I guess I need to look around a little more
pcwhack.gif
! They just took down the old back lighted Indian Chief logo sign that you see posted on my refurbish thread. I don't know who got it but I sure hope it wasn't destroyed! It was super cool!

Harry,I can lay down on the garage floor an pull the sheave off an turn it around or take 3 bolts off the drive shaft an the sheave comes out where I can work on it on the workbench. Will take me maybe 15 min total ;) The thrower can stay mounted !! The garage is sorta warm,our furnace died but we have a small heater we are using until parts come in to fix the furnace.

Harry,

With all due respect, I believe you are caught up in the common terminology of a pulley as any round wheel that transfers power. I am confident that the Correct Police will back me, but according to the Finlander, who I never saw stumped or found anything he couldn't fix, would promptly correct anyone who would use the incorrect terminology. His manner of correction was usually in the Finish language, and perhaps that is just as well.

I neglected to mention that a Sheave may also be used to guide and convey a cable or rope. These pieces are often called pulleys; and again, that is incorrect. They are more properly called blocks, with the sheaves inside the block to convey the power. There are various types of blocks, such as a snatch block, a head block, a tackle block, etc. All contain a sheave or sheaves.

All too often, we hear of these round pieces of hardware called pulleys in the common language. That nomenclature is very incorrect.

If you can find one, the Handbook for Riggers by W.G. Newberry will define all of this.

Now, would anyone like to discuss the difference between a gear and a sprocket?

Back