• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 07, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschwandt

IHCC Supporter
displayname
David Schwandt
Thanks for the comments guys!
The hydro lift got added in January when I replaced the cork gasket and my son glommed onto it right away so it's been living at his place!

But now the front pump seal is leaking as well as the hydraulic cylinder. Always something!!

I don't think the cylinders are repairable?? And I hope the seal replacement is a fairly straightforward easy fix. Gotta get the seals ordered yet, maybe should stock a couple extras?

I have all the Chrysler service tools packed away in a cabinet. Have 3 peg boards full, they are the Miller boards that dealers used "back in the day" The board are coming down this summer so I can finish up the steel on the walls and ceiling.

DAVE S. - Your CC engine hoist is a little fancier than mine. I use a cable come-a-long attached to one of my loaders.

Best tool ever invented for removing/installing the frt engine mount bolts in the frt axle channel on a CC is the 5/8" straight GEAR-WRENCH, the non-reversable kind you flip over to change direction. I've got several sets, SAE, Metric, long & shorts, I don't use my sockets & ratchets a fraction as much as I did before getting Gear Wrenches. They're my "Go To Tool" for 90+% of my work.

I really hope the guy that invented Gear Wrenches is relaxing on some sunny sandy beach on a quiet island down in the Caribbean sipping on an Umbrella drink right now.

Yeah, They are OK, but the flex head part is too loose and floppy IMO. And you can really scratch stuff up with them. I learned that the hard way installing a brand new polished S/S cover on my Kenworth APU a few years back.

I think if a guy was really gonna get into this engine work business, I would rig up an over head trolly setup.

I'm thinking maybe bolt a 3X3 or so up near the ceiling bolted/lag screwed to the wall the length of the shop on both sides and fasten an angle iron to the top of it w/the pointy end up. Then make up a couple sets of rollers to ride on it w/an I or channel beam to span the room and support the lift hoist, come-along or whatever.

Would sure be slick and a lot easier tha trying to maneuver that engine hoist around in a tight space. Of course, I still have the Chrysler sub-frame w/drivetrain plugging up my shop plus the welding table I have the engine fixture bolted to, plus the welder and cut-off saw all in the way too!!!

Yeah....!!! Just like I need another project!!

DAVE - You mis-read my post, the SOLID straight Gear Wrenches, the ones like a ratcheting combination wrench, only straight, NOT the flex-head's. I took one look at them and put them back on the rack when they first came out. That was one of those situations where "New and Improved" was marketing hype.

I saw NO situation where that adjustable flex head was a good idea, and the latching mechanism was a pretty lame design.

DOUG - I can have the engine ready to lift up out of a CC in about 1/2 to 2/3rds the time it takes to remove the frt axle, and with the frt axle & steering still attached, I have a rolling chassis I can move out of the way while I attach the engine to my engine stand.

It's like when I replaced the vacuum pump to run the power brakes on my '96 F250 PSD. The Helm's factory shop manual starts out with, "Drain the coolant, remove the radiator". By the time I would have drained eight gallons of coolant, I had the vacuum pump removed, the old pulley off and installed on the new pump, and had it installed back in the truck.

I always get flamed when I say this, but I NEVER remove the hood & grill when I pull a CC engine. Plenty of room to get the engine in/out with the hood & grill on. I did finally remove my FIRST grill casting on a CC a year ago, on the 70, was planning on replacing the casting, but couldn't come up with the replacement casting till 3-4 MONTHS after the 70 was back running. So I painted the old casting and put it back on.

The house we bought last August and now live in has the best 2 car garage I have ever seen. There is a large I-beam running the width of the garage and no joists - a vaulted ceiling. While dumpster-diving at the junkyard at work I found an I-beam trolley. Combine it with the chain hoist I found there years ago and I have a great engine-pulling system ready to go.

That being said I pulled the engine in my 1450 two weekends ago and the engine in my 1000 Wednesday night. I picked both up, walked to the bench and set them down. I didn't even think to use the hoist - duh.

I got the 1000 back the beginning of January and the 1450 the end of January. A neighbor from when I lived in Illinois gave me the the 1000. My dad had it and gave it to my youngest brother who abused it. Fortunately the clutch linkage broke before he could do a lot of damage. I had it shipped out to me in California along with some other things I left in IL. You don't see many Cubs out here.

I replaced the ISO mounts on the 1000 about 10 years ago before I knew about the mod. I want to fix it right this time. The mounts looked as new when I pulled them out so I expect years of service with the mod.

The 1450 is a basket case found on craigslist the end of January. I still can't believe I found it. It came with a #2 tiller, 3 pt hitch, IH wheel weights, a 44" deck and a Brinly BB-360 scraper. It will be a dedicated tiller when it is done. I am glad to have these machines and look forward to getting them running right.

Bob you found a cub with all that stuff in Cali,,,WOW

I was amazed I found it. I just got my 1000 delivered and I checked craigslist for the heck of it. The tractor was a mess from the pictures but I e-mailed the seller anyway. I had him send pictures and saw that the package was complete and the tiller was in excellent shape. Over a couple of weeks I talked myself into it then I talked my wife into it. Funds are tight right now - we bought a real fixer upper here.

If I scrapped the tractor I would still be way ahead considering what I paid. I have used parts on the way from a guy here on the forum. He said that he parted out better tractors than this one. It's worth it to me because for what i have in this tractor I couldn't buy a better one new. Even if I doubled what I have in it I couldn't buy a better one new.

My plan is to get it in usable condition this year then tear it down and paint it next winter.

The 1450 is different for me. Before I drove it I hadn't seen much less sat on a hydro drive. Everyone had gear drives where I grew up.

This electric hoist is the best thing I ever built. It has saved my back for years. Built it out of some heavy angle iron I had, put casters on it, and a electric hoist that rolls back and forth in a track.

I can lift the front of the tractor, drop the mower deck and roll it out the front for maintenance.

284350.jpg

Removing engines is easy since it will move any direction easily, and with one hand on the electric controls you can raise or lower the engine smoothly. I used to have a car engine hoist and it would only move forward or back and then I was trying to reach behind me to raise or lower the hydraulic jack.

When you remove an engine you can roll the unit over and set the engine down on a work bench without killing your back.

284351.jpg

Richard C - nice electric hoist you got there. I also see several other special tools in your pics (press, sander, parts washer, etc). I also see something there that would normally be for use in a bonfire. Are you having one soon?

Harry

naughty boy ! I bet we could find some guys that would argue on them green tractors with yeller wheels. They will find there way from the drake side lol; Give them a cub for a weekend and well .I dropped in on my dentist as requested and he was cutting grass on his Zero turn JD . I said let me help you finish . I unloaded my commercial grade Toro 22hp . I made a cut for 10' to see I had the same length cut, adjusted and started mowing . well he stooped me after 10 minutes with all kind a questions. I told him to take it and cut some grass.He cut grass for 21 minutes ! never stoped , said a word
1a_scratchhead.gif

I`am in my shop putting a cargo Carrier on the back rest on my Fat boy .

Ready to spray paint on a set of 125 fenders .
I did get delivery of a new seat and don`t know if it would be better on my 129 loader.It could use something to dampen the bumps. with chloride filled rears and 100 lb wheel weight , it does not ride smooth.

284354.jpg

Like Frank C my Bad !

Don, Got one just like that, damn near new , on a 125 I picked up last spring. I thought it looked downright outta place & awful! It's the 1st thing I took off!! Replaced it with the correct white/blue one.

David Schwandt

I got the blue strip and a good pan . but for now I think the 129 loader will get that new seat and the 125 will get the 129 seat . until I get a seat refurbed for the 125 ; the loader seat I will remove will have to work. This 125 is for my wife to learn how to run.Just no fun on my 2 acres with my zero turn , it is all over to fast to enjoy lol.

fence.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif
beerchug.gif

Talking to Don T. and I decided that the perfect Girl's pre-1981 mowing tractor is a 125 and I think he should put that seat on his 125 and let Dawn fall in love with it.
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

Frank
I did get to spary some yeller paint lol. I`am waiting for the hardner to set so I can recoat the 125 fenders.

284358.jpg

I'm newbie as an owner of a Cub Cadet. Recently restored a 1960 Original, 7HP and it actually moved snow. I think chains would help, but having fun.

Can "My First Cub" be manipulated out of the Refurbish thread and into its owm thread in the Sandbox?
1a_scratchhead.gif

John de Sousa

welcome
groupwave.gif
. What month was you Cub built ? lots of info here, probably the best place on line for Cubs .I have a Nov 60 and a Nov 62 Cub. they were a great start that has proven that Cubs are great tractors. ask away there is no such thing as a dumb question ! Expect some people to go into more detail than me .

Wow Charlie just corrected me on my Cub . It has ser number22814 which is Dec 1961 I believe . But it was built the first year the Cubs were build and that is nice To me having an early Cub .

Back