• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art - well I don't know if we are arguing about "sheave" vs. "pulley" but I'd sure like to get to the bottom of this. I was sorta hoping the IH Police on here may have an IH Dictionary to settle this. I'm also waiting for Brian to come back with some response to my info in the other posting. I'm more confused than anything.

Brian (under edit) - ya snuck in on me when I was typing. Now I'm still more confused than anything. I do think if I walk into the auto parts store and tell them I need a sheave for my alternator, or I need an "idler sheave", I think they'll look at me funny, but if I say pulley on my alternator, or idler pulley they'll know what I'm talking about. Doesn't mean it's correct, just that they know these parts by "pulley". Your thoughts???

Amy - geez I sure hope you're right about only needin' 15 minutes. I think those 3 bolts you mention are likely mounting the gear box to the thrower frame support, and removing those will just let the box dangle. The sheave (or is it a pulley) won't come thru that oval hole as long as it's still on the gear box. Let us know how you make out. And I sure hope your furnace parts arrive soon. Seems you're running a little short on luck, BUT it will come back.

JOSHUA S. - Neat pic's of your's there, the old dealership's from back in the 1960's. An 815 combine was a pretty good sized combine in it's day, the 915 was the only one any bigger that IH made, and it wasn't that much bigger. To put things into perspective, the steer tires on the rear of the new combines are as big or bigger than the drive tires on that 815.

Guys on another forum, RPM's forum, still use 715, 815, & 915 combines on a few acres every year. Couple guys have 615 & 315 combines sitting in their sheds too.

Harry,

Here is the easy and short answer.

If it has a groove, it is a sheave.

If it is flat, it is a pulley.

Explanations are posted previously.

Under edit. The automotive alternator is an interesting question, as the serpentine belt runs on both sides and is flat on one side and grooved on the other. (One of those things that makes one say: "hmmmmm.") I don't know the answer to your quandry, and unfortunately, the Finlander has passed on to supervise the cranes and paving crews in the hereafter.

To get this on track, I know I said that my 1250 nightmare was my first and last Cub Cadet. I am seriously considering a 129. I now must really be crazy.

Amy, that's out in the field, it gets mowed about twice a year if its dry.

Don T, getting off to turn the blade got old FAST.

Harry B, that 122 showed up as a plain no options tractor, everything but the three point and tires that is new on it came from the forum sponsors.

Art, Joshua, I found them on Craigslist brand new, the name on the bag said tirechains.com. They worked good on the ag tires.

Here are some videos of my snow removal. The first one I was plowing a path to my grandparents house in 3rd gear. In the second one I was compacting my pile, on the last good ram I noticed my blade came up to far turned out the already half broken u-bolt that holds the lift bracket on broke, fortunately I had a spare on had.

http://youtu.be/qNCopQqXREU

http://youtu.be/wDMhcUBSwH4

Harry must have misplaced his Machinery's Handbook...It contains a section for "flat belts and pulleys" and another for "V-belts and sheaves"
wink.gif

Matt G and Allen S - hey thanks for those references.

Now, I guess the "sheave vs. pulley" debate is settled. Sheave has a grove or groves for a V-belt and a Pulley accepts a flat belt. I'm wondering if Brian is going to volunteer to go out and educate the general public
happy.gif

Lucas - great videos and I can sure tell you were having fun. It is a little scary tho to be using 3rd gear with a blade. If you happened to catch a rock/stone or something else it will throw you right over the top of your 122. Lets be careful out there.

What about cog style belts/pulleys as used on the Original timed deck? The Operator's Manual lists the pulleys as pulleys not sheaves and they are neither flat nor grooved. These type pulleys resemble a sprocket...

Aw gee, soon we will be back to 'motor or engine...'
Anyway, a sprocket is what a chain goes around, like on a bicycle. What a timing belt goes on is frequently refered to as a 'flanged pully' <font size="-2">and it looks more like a gear to me.</font> JMHO

Kraig - if they resemble a sprocket can't they just be called one?

Allen - I know one thing that is mounted towards the front of my tractor, and starts and runs when I turn the key, is one sweet "ENGINE"!!!!!

Back