• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 04, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchamberlin

displayname
Jeremiah Chamberlin
I want to thank everyone who posted info on their "A" and "C" decks this past week. After reviewing the posts, and thinking about it, I've come to the following conclusions:

1. IH never made a deck with spherical "patio" wheels; they all had 1/2-round runners; the spherical "patio" wheels were an MTD innovation.

2. IH never made a deck with anything but the "water-pump style" bearings, or with cast iron, straight roller bearing spindles as found on the 48" decks; but never an aluminum-bodied, replaceable tapered-roller bearing: the taper-roller, aluminum-bodied bearings were an MTD innovation.

2. The distinction between an "A" deck and a "C" deck is the center pulley; the "A" deck was designed for a 3/8" PTO drive belt, the "C" deck was designed for a 5/8" PTO drive belt. (44A Decks with with S/N 81741 or earlier came with 5" dia center pulleys; 44A decks with S/N after 81741 came with 4-1/2" dia center pulleys; 50A decks were never fitted with 4-1/2" center pulleys P/N IH-126393-C1, but only came with 5" dia center pulley P/N IH-59703-C3.)

3. "A" decks did not have a third hole in front; there was no need (however one can be added, as many have done).

4. "C" decks had a third hole in front to allow for retrofitting to an "A" sub-frame.

All this being said, which is consonant with the facts as reported by more than one forum member, and is stated as the consensus of the "experts" who have attested the same; if anyone can PROVE the statements above false, I think everyone would be at least mildly curious to learn about it.

Offered for what it is worth to help others decipher what they have in their hands, answering the question, "Is this for real, did it come from the factory this way?" or "Is this a modification by a previous owner, dealer option package, or a later model from MTD, not IH?"

Just thought I would keep it going until everyone got clarity.
smile.gif

Jeremiah - I "generally" agree with your facts below. What bothers me is your numbering, which makes it hard to attest to your facts. Generally 3 comes after 2. You have 2 after 2 and then 3. Probably to late for any editing, unless you have the POWER!!!!

Now that's just picky! (But what attention to detail)!!
happy.gif

Sorry, Harry. I thought I fixed that. I re-arranged their order to bring like-to-like, I guess I forgot to re-number them according to their new order.

(Note to self: Draft all posts in word processer, print out, review and edit, submit to Harry Bursell for final approval before posting.)

On second thought, scratch that, use bullets, no numbering, and everyone figure it out for themselves.
happy.gif

Paul,

That is a Simplicity/AC plow, made with mostly Brinly parts.

246377.jpg

Thanks, Steve. I guess I should have known "Mr Plow" would know!

Just recently bought a 982 cub love the tractor in the process of redoing the tractor. Didn't kno there were so many cubs around in my area.hoping to have it ready for plow day and see how it does

Jeremiah,

Now you have me curious about my 44-A Deck. Currently it hangs in the storage shed and is farther down on the restoration list. Now I am curious about bearings, blades, wheels and the like. I need to get out my notebook.

Harry,

I agree with the numbering sequence. In music form we call that A-B-B-C-D etc.

The only things that should be green and yellow are the NDSU Bison. GO Bison!

What year car do the brake pads come from the ones used on 82 serier disc brakes?

Mike,
I have heard of using early 90's model Chevy S10 pads on wide frames, would think they would work on 82 series also. I buy the lining material from McMaster-Carr and make my own. The thinnest they have is a bit too thick and has to be sanded down. It comes in different widths and is sold by the foot. I glue it on the CC metal pads with Liquid Nails. Works for me.

Welcome Billy!

If your 982 is in running shape by the end of October, you can catch a plow day about 400 miles North of you in Illinois. There is a bunch of great posts in the plow day section. I hope to own a Big 9 some day!

Be sure and read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules as soon as you can, if you already haven't. This is a great place to learn and the sponsors are some of the best out there, so don't be afraid to look them up when your hunting for those hard to find parts!

Michael/Paul-

I've heard that too, and I don't believe it. I have never seen pads from any car or truck that are that thin. Even a worn-out set from my dad's S-10 was way too thick to work. I use the McMaster-Carr lining, too.

MATT - ha-ha.... Yeah, like ANYBODY ever uses brakes on a hydro.....

Just throwing a little gasoline on a discussion topic we had several weeks ago. ;-)

And those of you who make your own brake pads for the external disk brakes, make sure you use respirators while sanding then thinner and plenty of air movement. Yes, most or all the asbestos was removed from friction materials decades ago... but who's saying the stuff they replaced it with isn't worse and we just don't know it yet.

Just in case you southern boys don't know, LOL
This is the first snowball of the year, made this morning!
246384.jpg

And this is the first fire in the stove to keep the hydro's warm for the winter.
246385.jpg

Keep that stuff up there for awhile. We don't need that white stuff yet.

Latest posts

Back