• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 21, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klorenz

displayname
Kirk Lorenz
Steve & Bob,

Interesting and useful comments you have concerning what style and direction of tires to run on the front of a Cub Cadet. I have the ags mounted on my 100 mainly for looks and interesting conversation. I have tri-ribs mounted on my 70 which look more correct, steer easier, and grip better on hill sides.

All-

If I may be allowed to digress here a bit . . . .

When just a youngster my dad bought an 8N Ford tractor with the tall single rib tire that was standard equipment for that tractor. Somewhere along the way he decided to put wider tires on the front. That poor little 8N that you could steer with one finger now required the infamous "armstrong" method. I think they remained on the tractor for about a half a day on the side delivery rake and they then became history.

Those little tri ribs are the cat's ass for steering ! ! ! No floating across the freshly tilled soil with the tiller lifted. Try 'em and you'll be junkin' those funky lookin' snow thrower tires.

They kinda remind of some fat middle age guy in a sports bar with a bad hairpiece. Nobody wil really laugh at you to your face but . . .

Bob, wow, 2 posts in one day! Good to have you back posting. :eek:)

Love the last line Bob!

Steve that makes perfect sense that the bracket should be on the outside. I'll have to look closer after PD and see if I can figure out why the spring was so tight against the frame mounted the proper way.

As to which tires go where... I think the tri-ribs look "correct" with ags on the back. I've had good luck with ags on the back and the turfs on the front (And Steve is dead on - the MT CS stick like glue!)

I finally got tri-ribs for the front but have yet to find the right front rims.

I just look at what the guys who farm for a living use. They know what works and what doesn't for given conditions.

Kraig- Received your scans. Thanks! I have to remove it any ways (at least the front bracket) to replace the bolt I used for the correct pin and spacer. Nice to have all this friendly help available.

Charlie, I feel better knowing someone else just may have some NOS filters too. It's better than thinking the filter maybe hasn't been changed in 30 years.
yikes.gif

Hi, all,
I just installed an overhaul kit in the manual pto on my 129. Prior to this, the thrust button had fallen out and was lost. I put in the kit, a new thrust button, etc. but I guess I didn't adjust it properly--it now doesn't disengage. Can anyone shed any light on what I did wrong and how to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.
David

Bob, I think one of the first times I ever saw (and took notice of) tri-rib tires for a GT was when you posted these back in 1998 or 1999.

31581.jpg

31582.jpg

31583.jpg

31584.jpg

31585.jpg

31586.jpg

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on October 21, 2005)

David, does the fiber button fully depress the clutch when you disengage it? Or perhaps the fiber button is missing and that is why the thrust button fell out due to wear. The fiber button is #16 in this drawing.

31588.jpg

STEVE B. - I agree with You on steering axle tires. Also on the 23-10.50" 'Stones.
thumbsup_old.gif
Plan is to put a set on ALL four Cubbies.... 12.00's on the 982, 23-8.50's on the 72, 6-12's on the 70.... and the 129 is waiting for the 23-10.50's... (and it may have to wait a very long time)

KRAIG - BOB - That one of Dan's belly blades? People may not think You can do "Much" with a 7 hp tractor that only weighs 700# but They would be Wrong!

Kraig-

Kinda made me nostalgic for that Brooks trip of 2001. Here are a few more shots of the Original and the 70 w/Haban sickle mower over in Jerry Bliler's Paloose country. Right about where Lewis and Clark were 200 years ago this time of the year.

31592.jpg

31593.jpg

31594.jpg

31595.jpg

Kraig,
Thanks for the quick response. I seldom post, but am so impressed with the helpful responses when I do.
My 129 is a later model that has the pto disc brake setup, so, as I understand it, it doesn't have the fiber button. Is that right?

David, that's right I forget about those. This would be the correct drawing. I'm not at all familiar with the brake setup perhaps Steve B., will jump in here he has a 129. Oh Steve? :eek:)

31597.jpg

I got Bob to post for the 3rd <blink>AND</blink> a 4th time in one day!!! :eek:)

Hello, where is the best place to buy Slip Plate coating and are there similar alternative products available in stores? I have just finished a mower deck with POR-15 and I have heard that Slip Plate is good on decks (and snow throwers). Thanks

Back