• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 21, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerry Ide

Age does take it`s tool. But I try to use a conditioner to keep the seats flexable so they don`t crack.Just another job to remember to do lol.
lurking.gif

Harry,, thanks for the prodding and giving me a guilt trip. I keep looking at the frame and thinking I should start my 1x9 restore with the 128 frame. It is only worth a couple dollars in scrap prices.

so maybe I will drag in for the winter and hang it on the wall for a restore someday, since it's sitting outside by my scrap pile

jeff l baker

I have never parted a Cub YET lol. I think some day I might want to build something IH did not.I have a spare 14 hp and a 12 and 10 .for a few dollars I could make a Tractor .I`am sure the correct police would **** but
noshare.gif
old.gif

Oh with a name of Hydro Harry I`am sure he took some ribbing from the gear drive guys !

GERRY - I agree with you on your "Rant #2". 20 yrs ago I didn't want to spend the price of a new Kohler ignition coil when I could go to the local Farm & Fleet and get a generic 12V coil for $5. Fast forward a couple months and I had TWO Cub Cadets sitting dead in different places in the back yard cooling off so I could start them again and hopefully finish mowing. Eventually both coils died and I had to replace them again... OEM this time!

Yes, the OEM Kohler coils or the Bosch blue coil costs more, but at least you can get your work done. It's been a poor mowing year with all the dry weather, but the last three times I've mowed it's taken me six hours each time with the 72 & 38" deck, and other than a quick check of the engine oil level, couple shots of grease on the mower deck & frt axle, and a couple tanks of gas each mowing, I haven't laid a wrench on the tractor/mower except for sharpening the blades before I mowed last time.

It's just NOT worth messing with "Will Fit Parts" most times. And everybody knows I'm the first one to figure out something different, better, and/or cheaper.

Wayne S - are you really sure you have good batteries? This time of year the weak batteries begin to show up.

Hello everyone, Rodney here from Texas - I am enjoying looking and reading about all the work everyone is doing (Information is very appreciated even thought I do not post much) I have my 147 in pieces for now after taking it out of the barn and unfortunatley I have not been able to work on it now - I am scheduled for back surgery next week - it finally got the best of me and have to do it - Anyway I have found a 124 in poor to below average shape - several things missing (clutch, mower deck, etc.) but it has compression - I have been looking for a 126 but this is the closest thing I have found - how does the 124 rate versus the 126. Any information is appreciated. Thanks and I really like reading all the posts - information is good. Rodney

Mr. Ide: I respectfully disagree with you on the capacitor issue.

Furthermore, and I think your reasoning is flawed in the following ways.

1. You're taking yourself too seriously. This is a forum, not the Gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. ANYTHING posted here is evaluated based on (a) who is posting and what their reputation is (I guess I should be complimented if you consider my advice a threat to the integrity of the forum), and (b) how many posts receive the same "votes" of affirmation. Right now, I guess you have more votes than me, so you're ahead, but I'm not conceding anything, because . . .

2. This is a CAPACITOR we're talking about, the critical criteria have already been discussed. Whether or not it is produced by IH or its heirs is fairly inconsequential. Are you really suggesting that a restoration is going "lose points" because they don't have an "original" capacitor? Are the Correct Police checking the values, now and making sure that "Delco-Remy" appears on the part?

3. In the larger scheme of things, I was trying to help the guy, for crying out loud. I think its been proven that the "Correct Police" approach does more to discourage restorations than encourage them. Getting picky over details like this tends to create an atmosphere that is decidedly "unfriendly" to newcomers. In other words, its not good for business.

So, you can post away with whatever comments you want to make, it is a Forum after all. For my part I will try to preface my comments with, "For what its worth," "I think that," "In a pinch, try," "xxx worked for me." And in the end, that is all I was trying to do for a fellow forum member, suggest an alternative source for capacitors <u>that had worked for me</u>.

Rant over, you can go back to your regularly scheduled programming, I'm going for a walk (now that I'm all charged up), and then I'll head to Mass to ask forgiveness of my sins and leading the faithful on a path of shame.
smile.gif

Edit: I will concede the point about the length of the lead; I had to extend mine, so the restoration would lose points over the butt connector.

Jeremiah Chamberlin

Dennis Frisk

Where would we be IF ? I do enjoy all the posters here! The fix has to get it moving so the neighbors don`t see it stuck lol. I must say I have read every post for years on here and don`t answer every post.But I do look forward to seeing a few paragraph`s that some do. All Good ,As long as we respect what IH gave us
ihrotate.gif

Harry, here are a couple of reasons I thought about scraping the frame due to wear?

247598.jpg

247599.jpg

247600.jpg

247601.jpg

247602.jpg

Thanks Harry-

That's the first thing I checked and it metered 12.2v which would easily turn an engine over from my experience. I keep float chargers on cubs/batteries that aren't being used too often. I have a battery station on my front porch which is another reason I can't have a wife.

Latest posts

Back