• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 25, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JEFF - (I REALLY hate to rub this in, but here goes...) That rockshaft repair where the scissors linkage wears the rockshaft out only takes an hour on an old NF tractor, whether hydro or gear drive. Hardest part is getting the capscrews for the front of the foot rests out & back in. The WF tractors with the assembled rockshaft has to come out in pieces which sometimes isn't possible except with a torch or sawzall.

I've repaired the 72 twice, and the last time I did what IH did with the wider bars to contact the rockshaft so much much less wear on the rockshaft. The 70 while older amazingly showed very little wear or signs having ever been fixed.

Denny,

OR...you can lay under it with a welder and build it back up, then dress it up with the flap wheel..........

BTW, the contact point for the "pickle fork" on a wide frame isn;t the rockshaft.....it's the welded foot rest brace, that won't come off the tractor anyway......so there is no fix short of a welder for the "tractor" part of the wear.....easier to fix the pickle fork.

287879.jpg

STEVE - I know I fixed the 129 once too, but must have just fixed the pickle fork, I don't remember laying under the 129 and welding. I would have remembered setting myself on fire.

I forgot the pickle fork went to the rear foot rest brace. Been a few years since I put the mower deck on the 129.

I checked my 982,and the pickle fork goes to the shaft the individual brake pedals are on. No way for the fork to get back to the fender brace with the brake shaft in the way.

Never paid much attention to decks on SGT's....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Got the Noise Suppression muffler (by Nelson) mounted this morning. Had to tweak the placement of the cylinder head slot by about 1/8" The critical dimension corresponds to the distance between head bolts, so next time I'm going to measure the distance and/or use an old head as a template. I also lengthened the slot for the muffler bracket by the same amount, but if I had tried harder, I might have been able to assemble it as is. I didn't add a cut out for the spark plug because the older "High Boss" head has the spark plug in the center and it doesn't interfere with the muffler hanging bracket.

The sound levels, subjectively, serve the purpose I sought, I no longer feel the need to grab my hearing protection when firing up the K321; but no one will mistake my unit for a Quiet Line.
I'll get better data on the sound levels when I review my notes and have more time to perform tests.

Bottom Line: I'm satisfied with the results.

287884.jpg

287885.jpg

287886.jpg

Got to get to work.

Jeremiah... not necessary.. we all experience different situations and build our beliefs accordingly (I thought the Earth was flat for a long time, until I got out of Michigan and could see farther than a 1/4 mile...). Some old points sets actually had a "ring" contact with a hole in the center, which, if I'm correct and the points clapped together flat, avoided some of the metal transfer, because it had more surface area for the spark to cover - or something like that. I don't have a 123 parts tractor, but a 149 that's either going to donate its hydraulics of become a 129 sooner or later.... Good luck with the conversion project - BTW, glad to see the outcome of the sheet metal fab projects, too. I had a similar problem of the exhaust too loud on my Street Glide - I solved it by trading for a new bike, now that one seems too quiet...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Nice work Jeremiah,
I like the tone of my 169 quiet muffler, pretty mellow. Something about the sound of a not-so-Quiet line has always bothered me.
For some reason I do not care for the exhaust note on them. (Still like Quiet Lines though)
My 148 is a hearing protection required unit. I like the sound....but it is too much on the ear drums.
Most days....I'm just happy if they START!

After all the talk about mufflers, I went out and took the cover off to check mine because it was making some funny noises and found this.
287894.jpg

and the aluminum is cracked.
287895.jpg

287896.jpg

287897.jpg

I think I can fix the muffler but how do I fix the aluminum? weld it or add a plate.

Jeremiah,
Nice work. Good to see the heat shield on, in place, and working for ya! Never been around a sound suppression muffler for the 149's and such, but loved the sound on the 169's I used to own. They had a sound all their own. Nice job!
thumbsup.gif

Back