• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 21, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Everybody,
I have a tiller from a 1650 hydro, some of the carrage bolt holes have egged out and worn through so the shaft for the tines is wobbly. I feel a little overwhelmed about tearing the thing down, having the holes repaired/redrilled and getting it all back together. Is there anyone that has done this before? Should I tackle it myself or hire it done. I don't pretend to be a mechanic but don't mind some grease and grime under my fingernails. Any thoughts ?
confused.gif

Eric P,
You should not have carriage bolts.
You should have pins and cotter keys holding the tine shafts on.
You might take the bolts out and see if the pins would tighten things back up, but I suspect that things are wollered out to the point that you might have to go to the next size up from original.

With winter coming up, which means snow removal, I have a couple of questions.

I have a 125 with 8.50/23-12 turfs on the rear and 6/16.50-8 "smoothies" on the front. I have a weight bracket with 250 lbs of weight for behind the seat plus myself ( 210 lbs). I have chains for use with my QA-42.

I found a set of 10.50/23-12 turfs off a Sears tractor for $10 each.

Which are better for snow removal- 8.50s or 10.50s? Ags or turfs?

In talking with the owner of the mower shop where these are located at, he said chains on ags are a waste of time and money.

Your opinions please on this.

I don't have room for the 10.50s with my 42" mower deck.
sad.gif

Thank you very much
wave.gif
Jeff

Thanks Charlie,
The carrage bolts are not on the shaft themselves but are located inside the guts of the tiller. The best way I can descibe it is as the chain housing?. The head of the bolts are on the inside and run to the outside. Through a bearing(?). It looks as if the two halves are held toghter by about 12 small bolts around the upper and lower curves. Thanks for the picture of the tines/shaft. I will keep that handy to reference later on.
eplummer

Chains on any type of tire are far and away better than any type of tire without chains on a GT in the snow.

I personally run ags on all of my stuff, so I just chain up the ags.....without chains, even ags are a pig on ice.

your 8.50 rubber is just fine (probably better than 10.50 in snow), chain it up and go move snow.

(Now if you want the ultimate dirt traction, go get some 8.50 Stones to replace your turfs.....nothing stops them in the dirt!!!

(Message edited by sblunier on October 23, 2005)

Revised phone number

I noticed a post about cadet in NJ, I have a couple attachments I want to transport from NJ back to TN or Indiana, I put a post in the hauling section. If any body can do it, I will help with gas or trade some parts in exchange.

Dave Hull
765-463-4267

Hey Guys,

Almost have everything I need to get my M18S together, got the flywheel the other day. Still don't have a # 2 cylinder jug (left side) that's in good shape. My old one has some corrosion pits that I don't think will come out and a new one is way too high.

I hope asking plow questions is allowed. I bought a 1650 for $100 and it came with a Brinley plow. 10 inch? 12inch? How do you measure it to tell? I did not get a sleeve hitch with it.And I don't know if this Cub ever pulled this plow.(my brother and I are making a hitch)Whats the best way to start setting up this plow? I never saw one before this one.Haven't got a clue. Any hints would be very much appreciated.
And thank you Charlie, we found the demensions for the hitch on sketches you posted awhile back.

Michael,

Start by looking at the FAQ section...there is data there on plow set up. Then go to the plow day topic, click on the main plow day website link at the top, select the current event, and scroll down to the bottom...there you will find a link to the Brinly set up instructions.

Measure your plow perpendicular to the landside across the bottom of the share (lower cutting edge)...don't measure along the lower cutting edge, the idea is to measure the width of cut at a right angle to the landside (rudder like piece sticking out the back)

31707.jpg

Charlie, yea its getting to be that time of year where you only have to mow once a week. Kind of nice to take a break.

31709.jpg

Jinx....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

(you might be faster, but my pic is bigger!!!!)

Welcome back Bob! Nothing like pictures of your "wild and crazy days"

Charlie,

Well if your gonna play that way........at least pee on a Deere while you're at it!!!!

31721.jpg

Going to bed, gotta wake up early and get the fall weed-n-feed on the wet grass before I leave for St. Louis this week.

Back