• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 30, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roland:

Thanks for the advice.

Now you have me thinking; CAN one guy lift the engine out? I hadn't considered a hoist, but I may have to rig one.

What do you bolt to on the engine?

Ted B:

My 1450 (K321) has this bracket:
32671.jpg

Ted, I use a "come along" and an overhead mounting point. I have a tuck under garage that has a steel I-beam for support, that makes for a handy place to attach to, but a rafter or collar tie should be able to support the weight of a Kohler. If you like your back you'll improvise a hoist. I lifted the 12hp out of a 125 once, I removed the starter/generator first but it was not something I'd want to do again.

Bryan, what did you use when you replaced the mounts in your 1450? :eek:)

32673.jpg

That SINGLE attach point is enough?

I have a chain hoist, and I thing I can lag a couple of attach points into my ceiling joint(s). Thanks for the heads-up, guys, I was ready to attempt to lift it myself.

Roland-that's one CLEAN-looking engine. What's that cross-brace I see from the front of the cylinder to the muffler mount? Is that another standard modification I missed? That gets me back to my starting point; my whole fiasco started when I broke the exhaust elbow off in the cylinder!

Ted, I believe that is one of David Kirk's "Muffler Crutch". David has a website where he sells stuff for Cub Cadets.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on December 02, 2005)

Whew -- where did yesterday go? Well, I got the first couple of decades of the Paymover story knocked out and a few other tidbits too -- did you know that IH/Hough didn't have an articulated PayLoader until 1964?

Dennis -- I only have 91K on my "new" '03 truck. The '98, (last of the 12-valve B-Series engines) which has been parked for a year and a half was the one that had the rubber noodle scare. It is at 167K (or is that 176K) miles right now I think. It got replaced when Kate dragged me off kicking and screaming in June of '03 because she wasn't going to travel cross country with me and 3 dogs in a regular cab truck again. My goal for '06 is to sell it. But I have such a hard time selling stuff. I put a Gear Vendors 2-speed behind the transfercase in that truck so it has 7 effective forward gears. And yes folks when I say I put it in, I did everything except reweld the yoke on the end of the shortened driveshaft.

Jochua -- you can order my book by following the link at the top of the page or going directly to tractorshop.com

Speaking of books -- I have in my hands an awesome yellow jacket that goes on Ken's new book. And when I get the whole book, It will have to live on my desk, or in the windowsill in front of my desk because I am plumb out of bookshelf space but I want to keep it close...I have piles of books beside my desk, on my night stand, on the floor in my closet, in my shop, in the garage, in the attic --- you can never have enough bookshelf space.

Wow just started snowing here...cool.

You can lift out a Kohler by yourself, but wrangling 100# of CI isn't fun.....

Pull the motor with the engine rails OFF, comes out of the frame 100x easier.

DO the rail modification (makes bolting it back in easier too)

Lock-Tite the pan bolts.

Over head lifting:

I installed a boat winch to some very heavy (attached to the wall/built in) 2x4 shelving I have in my garage. I looped a chain over a rafter and installed a small pulley/block. Instant over head hoist for Kohlers, implements, unloading stuff out of the truck, etc. If I ever get my loader done I'm guessing it will do most of that work as well!!!

Ted B:

YES, that is a custom made muffler support I made. As indicated in Kraig's post, it can be had from Kirk's Engines.

YES, that single lift bracket will work just fine.

Kraig,
Since Bryan is out of the office this morning, I'm safe for a while anyway, LOL
I think Bryan used Day Old Krispy Kreme's for his ISO mount replacements!
biggrin.gif

Kraig -

It's one of the cheaper little come-alongs from F&F. Works nicely. And yes, that appears to be a muffler crutch (TM???) in Roland's pic.

Charlie -

CAUGHT YA!!!
lol.gif

Ted, find a hoist of some sort. You won't regret it. In the past it was throw a chain over a rafter and use a come-along. My brother had one of those 120 volt mini winches he wasn't using so I'm "storing" it for him. When I got the winch I raided the scrape pile and came up with this. Hanging a cub is a real easy way to work on electrcal under the dash.
32680.jpg

3 pieces of Unistrut bolted together for the beam. Trolley made with 2 wheels from casters.
32681.jpg

TED B.,

If you don't have a hoist or lift, get a friend or one of your older kids, if you have any around, to help you. You may be able to get the engine out by yourself, (I have done it more times than I care to admit to!) but putting it back in by yourself is a real good way to find out how good your disability coverage is!

Everybody should have one of these hoists, I don't know how I ever got by without it. I pulled two engines and installed one the other day and my back didn't even notice. I lift the front of the tractor and remove the 4 bolts in the oil pan just sitting on my stool, you can just push down on the axle to get into the bolts over the axle. Then lower the tractor and pull the engine.

32683.jpg

Ted, since your going to do the rail mod here are some suggestions, my same old spiel.

This Mod.

32684.jpg

Since you have a spare oil pan mount the pan under the rail just opposite of this picture, so you can weld on the other side and hold the rails at the correct distance.

32685.jpg

Once you weld in the cross piece and remove the oil pan you will probably find the back of the rails have pulled in just slightly. You will want the holes to line up perfectly so the engine installation goes easy. I usually use my porter power to spread the rails back but you could use a small jack.

I don't know what you want to do about the ISO mounts but here are my suggestions.

If your rails were loose you probably ruined the original rubbers.

If I can find 4 good rubbers (usually the top 4 are still okay) I will buy a set of Moog K-5252 car suspension rubbers and put the 4 good old ISO rubbers on the bottom and the 4 Moog rubbers on top like this picture.

32686.jpg

If you don't have 4 good old ISO rubbers then buy a complete ISO rubber kit from your Cub dealer. The new kits are different than the original rubbers. When you go to tighten down the new kit only tighten it enough to keep everything in place, usually about a thread left on top of the nut. If you tighten them up too much you will get a lot of vibration.

I DON'T RECOMMEND using all Moog rubbers as you wind up with too much vibration.

Just MY .02 cents.

Thanks for all the great hoist ideas, guys.Glad to provide a reason to show off your creativity!

I will probably do something very temporary from something spanning a few rafters in the garage.

Richard: Thanks again for posting the rail mod pics, but about those rubber mounts:

If I DO use (4) "good" existing rubbers on the bottom of the rail, how hard do I cinch the bolts down then? Do I just snug them up like your suggestion with using a new Cub kit, or do I compress the rubbers 1/16" or so, or what?

Charlie:
It's 2:40pm CT. You can talk now. Bryan's probably gone b/c all the computer people leave the city early on Friday. . .
destroy.gif

I see Richard isn't afraid of green and yellow. That was once my color choice.
bubbly.gif

Darn green thing wouldn't keep running in the cold. Had to bring the old 782 out of the barn to move snow. It hadn't run in 5 years, but popped right off with very little effort.

If they only engineered the attachments as well as Deere had......

Ray -

Tsk tsk. Don't you know that the techno-elite work from home on Friday's?
lol.gif

<font size="-2">...and unfortunately this week, on Saturdays...</font>

Ted
The rubber mounts have a raised portion that fits inside of the metal hole in the rail, I just tighten the bolt to the point where the top and bottom rubber are just touching so the rail won't slip out. It doesn't need to be overtightened as the weight of the engine is all downward.

Latest posts

Back