• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 14, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnolte

displayname
Bruce Nolte
Guys,
A rough morning up here, the storm left about 4 inches of sleet, which roughly translates to over a foot of snow. Got out at the crack of dawn, with the storm apparently winding down, and had some success with the 129 moving some of the sleet with the blower, but the wide slick tires rode on top of the sleet, and skidded sideways, while another wave of sleet pounded my face. I headed back to the garage to try lowering the blower a bit for a better bite, when suddenly the left front wheel falls off about 10 feet from the garage. Somehow the bolt undid itself. Cursing my apparent negligence, I found the parts, got the jack and got it back together, but the wheel tightened before the bolt, and tended to unscrew the bolt again. I decide to park the 129 for now and figure it out later, and got out the 102.

I abandoned the plan of plowing everything out nicely back to my neighbor's house, and attempted to widen the path I made with the blower, with my boots soaking through to my wool socks, and the pager for work going off. I made a couple of rounds down to the road, and noticed the engine losing power. Bad thing. It would recover, then misfire again. Figure it was a fouled plug (the engine smokes pretty bad), or water in the gas fouling things up. Mercifully, it died off to the side of the driveway, where it sits, and I went inside, took a hot shower, and went to work.

I checked the spark plug when I got home, and it wasn't a black oily mess, so now I have to do some serious troubleshooting, but it sets where the wind is currently funneling through at about 45 mph. It will have to sit until the wind dies down a bit.

The 129 has an issue with the hub on the wheel, which was worn oversize when the PO ran it with failed bearings. The bearings never really seat, and want to push out when under load. I might be able to shim the spindle bolt out a bit to give a little breathing room, but a new front wheel would be the best thing.

Jeff. Kewl video of Kraig wished it was longer hehe.
Bruce, I had the same problem on my 109 so I got a piece of brass shim stock & wrapped it around the brg and reinstalled to the wheel. it is a temporary fix till my new rims arrives.

Is this the Seventh Sign??
worthy.gif

Or is someone else posting in Ken's name???

Not gonna do anything tonight, with the wind and the snow squalls moving through, but I'll check for water or ice in the bowl. If I got water (or ice) in the trap, I probably have it in the carb. Here's hoping that's all it is.

As for the JB Weld idea Ken, I will take it for what it is, knowing how fond you are of that stuff. I got some shims for my work stuff that should fill the bill though. Guess I could also steal a wheel off the 102 for a while if the motor is down for the count and I need to blow some snow with the 129. The narrow wheels might even work better!

I'll be ok, the old '94 4WD F-150 has pretty good ground clearance.
wink.gif

Bruce - water / ice in the carb isn't that pleasent at those temps. I had a 2 week old carb on a truck burst wide open once from freezing !

Ken,

This is a test that Kohler recommends in their service manual. It's used instead of a compression test. If there's too little vacuum (or even pressure) in the crankcase, there's too much blowby.

I'll post the words from their manual later.

Lee

Thanks for all your help. I got the 124 running again. Charlie was right. There was gunk stuck in the needle/seat.

Jack

Here's what Kohler says about the crankcase vacuum test:

51725.jpg

51726.jpg

51727.jpg

Does anybody else do this to decide if an overhaul is necessary? Does it work?

Lee

Kraig: i check the volatage regulator and im only getting 13.35 at full throttle. So its not blowing them because of that but ill definetly need to clean some grounds

Here's how the 129 worked with a QA36 (yup it was a narrow frame model..). I was getting about 25-30 feet of loft.. (I see that picture is dated 4/20/99). Kraig - your archives go back that fur??
51731.jpg

That's going up a hill without weights too.
thumbsup.gif

BTW - I played that video on a different computer - forgot I had the audio turned up - had Kohler surround sound !!!

Latest posts

Back