• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

106 vs 127 vs 147 Newbie Questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Collard

Hello All! I am new to the forum and Cubs. I've bled green for a long time, and as a kid with my dad had a WH D200 so bled red for awhile too. I guess I just like old equipment! I am looking to pickup this weekend a new machine to tinker with / use around the yard. I'd love to have a Deere 318 or 400 but up here in the Northeast they fetch a ridiculous price and parts aren't necessarily a easy thing to source. D-Series Wheel Horses are growing scarcer than hens teeth and have limited usability with implements. I started digging into Cubs and am blown away at the parts market for older machines, the affordable prices for running vs non-running machines and the amount of implements I should still be able to find.

I am looking to use this tractor to help re-level my yard with a dozer blade and maybe down the line add a Johnny Bucket to move light materials. I wouldn't mind finding a tiller to help out with too. Not really interested in mowing as I have my Deere E-130 for that and it does fine. I also will wind up restoring the machine over time while still making her a runner. Best of both worlds. Doing a quick run through CL and Marketplace I've found three machines that interest me. All are narrow frames which I am a huge fan of the style!

First one; a 106 with the classic "ran when parked, needs a battery" comes with a mower deck. They want 150 bucks for it.

1695748477866.png

Second one; a 127 "ran a few months ago" that looks like it needs a few belts and who knows what else. Comes with weights, a dozer blade and a seized deck. 600 bucks.

1695749249693.png

Third one; A 147 "ran when parked" but has had some recent service done on the rear diff, points / condenser & PTO clutch replaced. Comes with a deck and blower. 600 bucks.

1695749356435.png

I am leaning towards the 147 because of the little bit extra power and torque. I really don't need a blower as I have a Simplicity 1724 but won't sneeze at the thought of getting one in working condition. Is there that much of a difference between the 127 & 147 performance wise? I've been doing some reading about the hydraulic lift vs the electric and it seems to be a pretty even split on what people prefer for general usage. The 106 is appealing with the manual lift but I am worried about being under powered, the price tag is what keeps me jumping back and forth. I figure I'd offer 500 for the other machines and see if they bite.

The wheel weights and hyd lift on the 127 are desirable options. The weights are probably worth $100 or more in your area I would guess. Not sure about the hyd lift. Any of the 3 would be good machines fixed up I'm sure.

The 147 is the LAST of the NF's and the FIRST of the 14HP Cubs.
ALL THREE of them are part and parcel of series #6 made up of the 106, 107, 126 (3rd rarest Cub produced), 127 and lastly the 147. These plus the 73 that was carried over from the previous series.
Series #6 were produced from Sept '71 to Oct '74.
Good luck in what you do.
You can't go wrong IMHO with one or all!! Heh Heh!!

I wound up reaching out to the guy with the 106. Hoping to hear its not been sold yet! I'll have to do some searching on here but does anyone know if a 106 can have a electric or hydraulic lift added to it after the fact? Would it bolt directly on and just require some wiring changes?

David,i added an elec lift to a 108 that works just fine..make sure you get one that holds where you stop it...cheap ones just follow gravity..just had to make a front bracket to mount and bolt it to frame..some brackets came with it..

Attachments

• 100_1631.JPG
    100_1631.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Yes, the 106 can have either the electric lift or the hydraulic lift added. Some drilling and perhaps cutting is required but isn't too hard to do.

Here's a link to the narrow frame hydraulic lift installation manual, it lists the prior series Cub Cadet but the 106, 127 and 147 are almost the same chassis:

Narrow Frame Hydraulics

Here's a link to another scan of the manual that has better images:

Another Narrow Frame Hydraulic manual

Hello All! I am new to the forum and Cubs. I've bled green for a long time, and as a kid with my dad had a WH D200 so bled red for awhile too. I guess I just like old equipment! I am looking to pickup this weekend a new machine to tinker with / use around the yard. I'd love to have a Deere 318 or 400 but up here in the Northeast they fetch a ridiculous price and parts aren't necessarily a easy thing to source. D-Series Wheel Horses are growing scarcer than hens teeth and have limited usability with implements. I started digging into Cubs and am blown away at the parts market for older machines, the affordable prices for running vs non-running machines and the amount of implements I should still be able to find.

I am looking to use this tractor to help re-level my yard with a dozer blade and maybe down the line add a Johnny Bucket to move light materials. I wouldn't mind finding a tiller to help out with too. Not really interested in mowing as I have my Deere E-130 for that and it does fine. I also will wind up restoring the machine over time while still making her a runner. Best of both worlds. Doing a quick run through CL and Marketplace I've found three machines that interest me. All are narrow frames which I am a huge fan of the style!

First one; a 106 with the classic "ran when parked, needs a battery" comes with a mower deck. They want 150 bucks for it.

View attachment 155337

Second one; a 127 "ran a few months ago" that looks like it needs a few belts and who knows what else. Comes with weights, a dozer blade and a seized deck. 600 bucks.

View attachment 155338

Third one; A 147 "ran when parked" but has had some recent service done on the rear diff, points / condenser & PTO clutch replaced. Comes with a deck and blower. 600 bucks.

View attachment 155339

I am leaning towards the 147 because of the little bit extra power and torque. I really don't need a blower as I have a Simplicity 1724 but won't sneeze at the thought of getting one in working condition. Is there that much of a difference between the 127 & 147 performance wise? I've been doing some reading about the hydraulic lift vs the electric and it seems to be a pretty even split on what people prefer for general usage. The 106 is appealing with the manual lift but I am worried about being under powered, the price tag is what keeps me jumping back and forth. I figure I'd offer 500 for the other machines and see if they bite.

Like Meat Loaf said, “two outta three ain’t bad.” Nab the 106 at that price, a very low risk. The 127, with the dozer blade you mentioned wanting and the highly-desirable wheel weights, seems to match your needs well.
But if you’ve got space, three outta three is even better!
Good luck,
-C3

After reading and digging around I couldn't agree more Gary. I'm no tractor snob, they all have their pluses and minuses but for whatever reason out my way the green machines from yesteryear draw big bucks.

There are several later model cubs that would be comparable to the 318 imo. And most likely for a lot less money than a 318.

Figured I'd post an update. I spoke with the guy that has the 106 and I'll be taking a look at her on Saturday! Now to source a plow blade. Pretty excited to get the ball rolling.

David,i added an elec lift to a 108 that works just fine..make sure you get one that holds where you stop it...cheap ones just follow gravity..just had to make a front bracket to mount and bolt it to frame..some brackets came with it..
where did you get the electric lift???I have a 108 and my right arm is crippled and an electric lift would be a must for my snowblower

Robert don't remember co. name but a net search will show several....lb rating matters,you should be looking around 1000 lb lift ...some where in the range of $ 150 should do it...be aware they are not fast but do the job. ..they need secure mounting or something will bend...I made the front mount and bent it once...Your present handle has a hole in the front side,you could leave the handle in..It took serious heat to get mine out,hence burned paint...length of stroke ,you only need between 6/8 inches...good ones have a shutoff trip at the end of stroke,figure that into your mounting...good luck...

Attachments

• 100_1630.JPG
    100_1630.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I wouldn't be worried about power with the 106. You'll lose traction before you run out of power. My 106 is my primary worker of my collection, never had an issue with the power from the k241.

Well I now have a narrow frame plow. Just needs a tractor to go with it! Kid I bought it off of said he found it from a guy on the Cape. A little elbow grease and this thing should clean up nicely.

View attachment 155371

View attachment 155372
best way to scour grime off that dog is to put it to work and let the dog eat!
and i agree with JP: running out of traction before running out of power is likelier than the other way around.
keep after it, DC. you’ll love your Cub.
-CӞ 🚜💨

You will probably need part #'s 20 and #23 to mate with your lift rod #18, depending on which Cub you wind up bringing home.
Looks like you will be on your way!!

Went to look at the 106 and it was a no brainer. Clean machine, I'll be the third owner. Was inside a garage somewhere in CT until the second owner bought it two years ago. They used it a few times and then parked it outside for a year. Really clean machine. A quick power wash will shine her right back up! Oil was clean, no water. Jump box spun it over no problem and the K241A has compression. Probably a little tuning and she'll be running like new. Feel like I won the lottery for $150! My guess is the majority of this tractor is all original.

1696088638594.png

1696088655691.png

1696088675569.png

1696088694003.png

Latest posts

Back