• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

106 vs 127 vs 147 Newbie Questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air cleaner did indeed come with it as well. It's a little soggy and needs a new filter but otherwise all there.

1696092476103.png

Looks great! Too bad the previous owner left it outside, however. Take your time with this. It doesn't appear there is anything that can't be fixed or restored!

So its been a long day but I have my new 106 home. Picked the UHAUL up in the morning and made my way over to get the machine loaded. The gentleman I bought it from was kind enough to help me get it on the truck. Brought it home and promptly got it unloaded without issue! I was dreading wheeling the thing off the back of the truck bed. Never had a problem but you can not be too cautious!

I started tinkering with it a little bit this evening and low and behold a new battery and some starting fluid and she cranks and sputters well. I then got brave and added some fuel to the tank and began cranking away. I'm not sure how long it will take to reprime the system with fuel but can see the sediment bowl and fuel filter refilled. My best guess is the carb is in need of being cleaned.

Based on reading my snooping around the forum this machine appears to be from the 1970 batch based on the serial number. Looking forward to messing around and updating everyone as to my progress!

1696206046893.png

1696206091903.png

1696206156683.png

1696206200183.png

1696206217317.png
-

Robert don't remember co. name but a net search will show several....lb rating matters,you should be looking around 1000 lb lift ...some where in the range of $ 150 should do it...be aware they are not fast but do the job. ..they need secure mounting or something will bend...I made the front mount and bent it once...Your present handle has a hole in the front side,you could leave the handle in..It took serious heat to get mine out,hence burned paint...length of stroke ,you only need between 6/8 inches...good ones have a shutoff trip at the end of stroke,figure that into your mounting...good luck...
IMG_0497.jpeg

I used a VEVOR linear actuator. As mentioned, these aren’t the fastest to raise/lower but they hold position and are extremely reasonably priced. Were I to plan on using mine as you do yours I’d look for something else. My Gravely zero uses a stand alone hydraulic lift which turns out to be an inboard/outboard trim motor. It is much faster than the electric option. The boat dealers price on those is ridiculous but they’re available elsewhere. Good luck with whichever route you take. I haven’t sourced a cylinder yet as I had mine resealed.
IMG_0499.jpeg
IMG_0498.jpeg

There is a good source of parts on this forum from our sponsors..If you have a question, post it with a picture and you will come to appreciate the wealth of info the guys here have and are thrilled to help.Since many fasteners are a bit rusty,if you have the time,put some PB Blaster or something of your choice and let it work.A thread restorer kit and a wire brush will help,when you reassemble it.Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.

Did some muddling around on Monday afternoon. The carb was "moist" to say the least. That little bit of surface rust behind where the carb mounts shouldn't be an issue correct? I ordered a new carb kit on the Bezos express along with new fuel line & some clean new air filters. Also unstuck the lift arm and removed the mower mule deck. Not bad for a couple hours of work.

1696442978881.png

1696443006847.png

1696443025820.png

1696443393963.png

1696443129510.png

You could have hit or miss results with one of those cheap carburetors, though it looks like the one you took off the machine is already one of them so I guess you don't have much to lose. In my personal experience, the carburetor that has been running my 107 since I got it back working in 2020 is one of those cheap knockoffs. It's had it's share of hiccups, including the plastic float being unreliable in the way it mounts (and having to purchase and swap it out with a brass one found in the flea market area of a show I had it at just recently).

It's always run the tractor fine, but the big issue is the idle circuit does not work at all. It has to be tuned solely off the main. It does not care whether the idle screw is completely closed or removed from the carburetor entirely, it will not affect how the engine runs. Some people have good luck with them, I personally, got a dud, but at least it works good enough to run it. I plan on eventually taking the parts from it and using them to rebuild the original Kohler carburetor for it.

I would clean that area really good.
That rust scale is hard stuff and I would not want it floating around inside an engine.
Both the throat and the surface the carb mounts to and use new gaskets.
Carb looks to be in real need of a complete rebuild.
Pull the head, inspect and resurface.
Check the block for cracks leading into the valve area.
Check the fluids for water.
That unit may have even been underwater for all we know.
Good luck!

You could have hit or miss results with one of those cheap carburetors, though it looks like the one you took off the machine is already one of them so I guess you don't have much to lose. In my personal experience, the carburetor that has been running my 107 since I got it back working in 2020 is one of those cheap knockoffs. It's had it's share of hiccups, including the plastic float being unreliable in the way it mounts (and having to purchase and swap it out with a brass one found in the flea market area of a show I had it at just recently).

It's always run the tractor fine, but the big issue is the idle circuit does not work at all. It has to be tuned solely off the main. It does not care whether the idle screw is completely closed or removed from the carburetor entirely, it will not affect how the engine runs. Some people have good luck with them, I personally, got a dud, but at least it works good enough to run it. I plan on eventually taking the parts from it and using them to rebuild the original Kohler carburetor for it.
I have had the same problem with the knock off carburetors that the low side does absolutely nothing. You probably will not be able to use anything off of it to rebuild the original one. Sae vs metric

Been a week so I figured I'd give an update. Over the weekend I swapped out the carb and changed the oil. Happy to report the oil other than being dirty was free of any containments. The tractor fired up for the first time strictly off of fuel and runs. It runs rough. But it runs! Very exciting. I then began investigating the ignition system and put an order in for a complete redo as its clearly long over due for a refresh. Once that's done I'll see how its running and determine my next move.

I am not a huge fan of the choke clip. I managed to crack two of the tabs trying to reattach the choke cable. I have a 3D printer so I am contemplating making a new one that might be a little more durable.

1697071905505.png

Latest posts

Back