• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 06, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry:
Cubs are the most reliable, but just like any machine, they need adequate mainenance.
First thing to do is grab the engine and see if you can move it. If it moves a lot, you will need to fix the motor mounts. Hopefully the pan bolts have not vibrated out and let the engine rock around and damage the pan.
If you find that the motor mounts need attention, you may want to visit the FAQ section regarding the ISO mounts and upgrade it with a cross brace.
The 14HP is a relatively smooth engine and will vibrate much less than the 16hp in the 1650.
I have 4 1450's and 4 1650's. Like the 1450 better because of the reduced vibration but still have the use of the hydraulic lift.

I pulled the head back off of my K301 today. I cleaned the block and I checked the head for flatness on a sheet of glass. I sanded the head on the sheet of glass and I reinstalled it with a new head gasket. I put oil on the threads and tightened it up to 30 ft lbs. After putting it all back together I fired her up and it is still missing. It also shows a small amount of black smoke with the exhaust. When you put a heavy load on the motor most of the missing goes away. I double-checked the timing again and it was correct. Other than doing a compression test, is there any other way to tell if the head gasket isn’t sealing? Also, will the head gasket not sealing cause the missing that I am having?

Thanks

Chris C. .

Christopher C.-

This probably isn't your timing or head gasket. Black smoke and the problem disappearing under load means your mixture is too rich. Turn the main needle on the carb CW until detect a slight rise in RPM at full throttle.

If that's too vague or technical, say something and I'll elaborate...

My 149 runs no more...
Mmm... While mowing with it, it would suddenly stall and then I could start it up and mow some more then it would stall. I noticed that if I had it at idle it would run but higher than that it would stall. I cleaned the carb while on the engine by removing the needles and spraying carb cleaner, but I had no luck. I pulled the carb completely apart and didn't notice anything clogged. I will reassemble and reinstall. Could it be a weak spark? I'll guess if it doesn't run this time, I'll replace the coil. It does spark but maybe its weak, it was more of a purple color rather than a true blue.

Chris B.
Are you getting good gas flow to the carb?
My father had a simular problem with his new mtd cub, ran fine at idle, but would stall out if you mooved the throttle, problem was a blocked fuel line.
Check the condenser, make sure the bolt is tight and the metal is not rusted/corroded.
Another thing to check is the points, check gap and make sure they are clean.

My old 102 acted the same way than just died.
very weak spark, I cleaned the points and reset the gap but no luck. I ended up replaceing the points to get it back up and running.

Can someone sned me a pic of a complete carb assembly on a K161, I think I may be missing parts on my unles CC Original I'm painting he bought it with a junk motor I found one but afraid I may need parts to assemble all correctly.

Jason C- Go to the top of the page and find the little box that says "Cub Cadet Parts Look Up" Click on it. In the model/number search box, write "Cub Cadet". You'll get two choices, and since you didn't ask a question about a snow blower, click on the one that says Cub Cadet. To the right will come up a list that, on the top of the list, says Illustrated parts list. Click on that, then choose Carburator, or any other part of your CCO. You'll get a blown up picture of your carb, plus all the part numbers.

Not exactly, I need to see how the throttle hooks up when engine is put in the CC original. Nice diagrams though, thanks for the help

Jason- Sorry that didn't help. Try this and see if it gets you a little closer. Mat Dominic posted a picture on June ist at 09:31 am. It shows basically what the carb should look like.(everything but what you're looking for, of coarse) Go back to the page that says "thru 05-31-07 and about 2/3 down the page. At least it's a picture of the carb. Not on an original, but looks just the same except for the air cleaner.

Chris,
I thought it was a 147? Hook a timing light up to the tractor. If you loose the timing light when the tractor starts to stall then its an ignition problem. Two of my 147's all of a sudden stalled this year. One was a condenser and one was a coil.

Yeah Curt, I saw that pic I actually need to see how the throttle cable hooks up to the carb, if possible like it would have been from the dealer.

Jason, how do these look? These are of Dan Hoefler's restored Original.

59084.jpg

59085.jpg

59086.jpg

Oops, I cropped off a little of the throttle cable on one of those. Here's a better version. Also a view of a K161 as in a model 70.

59088.jpg

59089.jpg

Here's two of an Original that belongs to Mark Plotz.

59091.jpg

59092.jpg

Now those pics are just obscene... Those engines look like 1000% better than mine...

*looks at his original and wonders if it will ever be that perfect.

Thank you Kraig exactly what I needed, now if I can find a belt the right size from starter/generator to pully on crank I'll be in good shape....
ihrotate.gif

Stevenson, I've seen a bunch of Dan's projects and one other of Mark's Cubs, (a beautiful 982 Diesel) I'd have to say anything either Dan or Mark does is near perfection! You can see your reflection in the paint, and I'm not talking about a hazy reflection I'm talking detailed reflection!

Latest posts

Back