• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evan,
Those are nice pics. I was too busy with the camcorder to get any still pics. I recorded both classes plus you and Ken starting your tractors on Saturday. My battery died just after Ken pulled so I didn't get the Allis on Sat. I hope to get them posted on youtube when I figure out how to get my camcorder to comunicate with the computer.

any specific suggested stores to buy pulling parts please list looking for some

I can't take credit for the pictures. They were taken by 3 guys who drove 18 hours from Texas because they are interested in building tractors like these.

Hey guys, I know hey are getting hard to find...because of the discontinue.

But do you know anybody that stills has some 26x12x12 Firestone or Carlisie's still sitting in the shop for sale?

I though I saw a post about that on here but the search doesn't find it.

Thanks

Nic

How much trouble will it be to replace the 10 horse engine in my 104 with a 16hp k341 ?

I was looking thru some old pics today and here is our old IH254 Compact puller. Dropped in a big 4 cylinder turbodiesel Yanmar for 120+hp with the basically stock rearend! Steel flywheel and pulling clutch.
184609.jpg

VINCE, Daniel - Smaller flywheel from a K241/301 installed on the K341 along with the engine backplate & proper tinwork fits too. The flywheel is the same weight, but the smaller diameter makes the mass seem less to the engine, really makes them seem "peppy"

JIM D. - Nice looking compact. I really liked the looks of the 234/244/254, Very much like a 5X88 series. Were the rear tires 18.4 X 16.1's? They look bigger.

is there any possible reason to be able to put a turbo or turbocharger on a gas puller?

RICHARD - What engine are You asking about putting a turbo on? Kohler K-series engines are splash lubricated, no oil pump, so no way to feed pressurized oil to the central bearing of a turbo, one would have to be added. Plus as an air-cooled engine they have problems getting the added heat away from the engine.

There was a "Turbo-charged" Cub Cadet, think it started life as a 129/149 at the IH Red Power Round-up in Penfield, IL back in '03 but I never saw it run. It had a small oil pump driven by the cranskshaft via a belt/pulleys. It was styled & painted to look like a FARMALL 1206. Very nicely done in fact.

The "Pulsing" of the exhaust doesn't make them real effective on single cylinder engines. A turbo actually runs off HEAT energy, and the exh. runs very hot then stops. A twin cylinder engine running at a higher RPM should be able to make enough boost to be beneficial. The little diesel pullers EVAN posted pic's of above are all turbo'd and are deffinetly making some good Boost!

dennis you are saying i would have to get a oil pump put on the tractor to be able to run a turbo on it.

Dennis,

yes, 18.4x16.1 Cepek tires, that is why they look bigger.
Was a fun tractor, used it in the local club pulls, I don't think it ever finished lower than 2nd place. Compacts ran at 2200 lbs so we could really weigh it up.

Richard,

tough to turbo a gas small engine. The ideal would be to try it on a fuel injected (EFI)
model as the fuel system will compensate to keep the correct fuel/air ratio.

Doing that on a small carbeureted engine is difficult at best as the fuel air mixture is normally pulled into the intake..."vacuum" but adding a turbo "pressurizes" the intake so it won't "draw" fuel from the carb. That is the most simplistic explanation for the difficulties of it.

As Dennis pointed out, all turbochargers use crankcase oil pressure for lubrication; a K- series has no oil pump so in addition to the above difficulties, an oil pump would be required.

Yes, it has been done but that adds another layer of complexity......
1a_scratchhead.gif

Jim, assuming one could get some sort of pressurized oil system for the turbo bearings, would a "draw through" turbo work rather than a "blow through" As in, have the turbo pressurize the intake downstream of the carb, yes I know not much downstream of the carb on a Kohler... The 1980 Mercury Turbo Capri that I used to have, had a draw through turbo setup on a carburetored 4 cylinder. Not going to try it just throwing out ideas.
blush.gif

Kraig,

You are correct Sir, draw thru is the other method and common to many turbo gassers. Maybe with a Keihin carb with accelerator pump?? Hmmmm...

In truth, substantial gains can be made with a tuned camshaft instead on the K-series engines. The best start is using the k-361 cam in the smaller k-series, lots of duration there to keep airflow up.
Turbo a command twin? NOT with stock head gaskets, that's for sure!!!

Once had a single cylinder diesel on a mini bike, for kicks we turbo'd it...I made a 'thermo-syphen" lube system for the turbo since no pressurized oil existed there. It works to this day!

Jim, would that be this mini-bike? Your brother Brian showed it to me back in February of 2008 when I stopped to see that "mower" (the one behind the mini-bike) on my way down to pick up the K301 that David Kirk built for me.

184658.jpg

Richard S,
There probably isn't any good reason other than if you just want to because its cool. Most clubs don't allow, or don't have a class for turbo gas engines. They may let you pull exibition just for fun. If you could convince enough other guys to build them to make up a class, then there would be a good reason.

Jim D,
I love that 254! Hopefully the one I'm building will look like its little brother.

instead of going with a pulsating turbo on a single cylinder, a belt driven turbo could be used with sealed bearings, you need sufficient impeller rpms and the right belts, no engine heat, cooler intake charge and no oil system needed, just a blowoff valve. as automotive engine are reverse rotation you'd have to mount it backwards. You'd also need sufficient plenum space for the intake, approx. 150% cylinder volume. You could also make a supercharger from a Toro ($30.00 impeller) leaf blower impeller, making a simple housing. see the Carbureted Blowers group where it's discussed in depth, think there's photos on there too. good luck

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Carburetedblowers/

In regards to using a k-241 10 hp flywheel and cooling tin on my K-341 16 hp engine, for clearance in a narrow frame tractor. Won't this change the cooling ? I might want to mow with this tractor and I dont want it to run hot. thanks ....Danny

Latest posts

Back