• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrigham

displayname
Brendan Brigham
Ron...I'm pretty sure everyone would agree, this thread is worthless without a <font color="ff0000"><font size="+2">SOUND BYTE</font></font><font color="000000">....
proud.gif
</font>

Ron,

I went out to the barn and looked tonight like I should have done to begin with instead of going from memory. You're right that they're not straight cut, but they're not hypoid either. They're spiral bevel gears. I'm basing this on the 125 transaxle I have the cover off of in the barn.

Spiral gears are the bevel equivalent of a helical gear. The difference between spiral and hypoid bevel gears is that spiral gears' axes intersect each other; hypoid gears' axes are offset.

You could flip the carrier with straight, spiral, or Zerol bevel gears. If you try to flip the carrier on a hypoid gear set it will off set the pinion axis to the wrong side of the ring gear axis and they absolutely will not mesh.

Hypoid gears are stronger loaded one way vs. the other, but is not like they're weak in reverse. Most 4wd front axles have hypoid gears running on the back side of the teeth. With straight bevel gears, there's no disadvantage one way or the other. In the case of spiral and Zerol bevel gears, there's no practical difference, and if there's a theoretical difference it isn't worth talking about.

Jerry

getting rid of the heavy duty cast iron carrier and going to the MTD two piece carrier,thanks for the advice

Just throwing this into the discussion; both Midwest Supercub and Vogel mfg now offer reverse spiral ring and pinion sets for diesels and other engines that turn the opposite direction. I would think that if there wasn't some demand for them they wouldn't have bothered. They are heavier duty (wider teeth) than stock.

I have been told that the stock spiral ring and pinion won't live very long if you reverse them.
This probably depends a lot on how much power you are trying to put through it. Some of these turbo diesel tractors are probably pushing 100 hp or more. It probably helps to have the heavy front pinion bearing and holder up to a point as well.

For mine, I'm using the straight cut ring and pinion from an aluminum rear-I hope it holds up for a while. But I figure eventually I'll have to go with the aftermarket set.

To go back to Ron's original question with a hydro, If you flip the charge pump, the valve plates and the pump swash plate, you shouldn't need to flip the carrier.

Columbus Winternationals 3 cyl diesel, don't get excited, they are all basic cub underneath

183940.jpg

183941.jpg

183942.jpg

EVAN - Thanks for those pic's. Just seeing that green/yellow sheetmetal on those Cubbies makes Me Cringe!
But I guess that adds excitement over seeing an endless line of red or yelllow&white tractors.

That's alot of fire out of some of those. Is that standard or are they close to burning them down? When the big smokers flame like that a short lifespan is close.

GLEN - I was thinking the same thing! I hate to think what the EGT into the turbo is!

We run 1700 degrees spraying a good amount of water mix, the JD with the flame it was only his second time down the track and his wasn't working right and he said it was 2000

WOW, My PSD blows molten alum. from the pistons thru the turbo around 1300 deg. Even the Cummins 5.9's don't run much over 1500 for short bursts.

Little pistons can handle more heat, shorter distance to the rings.

i am pulling a stock tractor and im wanting to know of any ways i can make the tractor loud please answer
animatedihbear.gif

i also am wanting to know of some other pulling part stores online that i could get parts from i know midwest super cub but thats the only one

Loud?? You could try a chartreuse, bright pink and black plaid paint job......

I figured you must be doing water. The last 10,000lb ProStock I saw blow fire like that was Carrousel's No Fear Deere. Ran like a striped ass bear! Then burned holes in a couple pistons. Those little oil burners are WAY COOL! Love the pics.

Wow, thanks for the excellent pictures of those Cub Cadets. That really hurts, me sitting home in WI, wanting to run but unable to go thanks to NO job yet since the layoffs. My turbo diesel Yanmar powered 1782 is chomping at the bit after seeing those! In time, I know.........

Evan--What brand of diesels are most guys running? Kubota, Yanmar, or something else?

Larry

Our caseih & the massey have kubota, the other caseih has a Shibura (cat/perkins labeled), the two jd's have yanmars, not sure on the allis, I know it's an old motor from something.

Back