• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 29, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin & Marty

Now I'm nervous about my 71 restoration. It's my first and I hope it look as nice as yours. I am also doing the complete disassembly. My trans is in good shape also. Did you just sand and wipe your trans clean before painting?

You both did a great job!

Kevin H.,
Go to your last post and scroll all the way to the right. you will see a pencil and notepad.
Click on it. Then you can hit the enter button twice between the pic numbers to clear it up.
thumbsup_old.gif

I think the edit window is closed for Kevin.
I just found out I could steal Fancy's clipart!
Thank you, Fancy!
193164.gif

I had a good day! I worked on the 71 most of the day. Mowed my lawn then messed around with the 123 and put 1 of the 3 decks I have on it. At 9:30 pm I finally was able to use the mower. I'm sure the neighbors appreciated my 123 at full thottle after 9:30.

I bought my 71 with a bad rod so I wasn't able to use it. The 125 had the sickle mower on it and the carb was jacked up. I had to remove the sickle bar so I could store it in the garage while repairing the carb. Never got to use the pto on it either. As silly as it sounds it was pretty exciting to watch the mower deck operate on the 123. Unfortunately it smokes like a chimney.

Besides that, the Edit button is so far over to the right it takes all night to get there! You did a great job on the 169, Kevin! I've got a chance to get one that the guy said he restored a couple years ago. I've seen it and his idea of a restoration is sure different than what you've done. Maybe I'll show him a couple pics of yours. I steal pics, don't I, Marlin?
193167.gif

Bob,
Don't be nervous, just take your time and don't rush it. You will do fine.
As for the transmission, you will not get every speck of paint off when you sand it (unless you sand blast it).
I don't advise that, because you could ruin the seals. You could sand most of it with a small angle grinder and cup brush.
After sanded, hang it up using a stout frame. A swing style frame made of 4x4's works great.This is where the handtruck and come-along come in handy.
Using latex gloves to keep your skin's oil from getting on it, wipe it down with a tack cloth to get all the dust.
A frame with a tarp on the top and plastic around the sides help keep the rain,wind, and bugs away.
Now you are ready for the primer. Etching primer would be great on this since you won't be able to get off all the old paint.
Make sure you keep the area vented, that stuff is strong smelling!
Allow 24 hours after the last coat of primer before putting on the paint. Let that dry for two or three days and you've got it!
thumbsup.gif

This one was "restored" by the PO too..It was painted yellow and white by the local body shop with extra paint he had laying around.

Latest posts

Back