Archive through July 12, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff check the air gap on th electric pto clutch. Should be set @ 0.10

Hi I am looking at getting a second cub cadet.
I have been running a red 782 ser1 for the last 9 years winter and summer. in spite of the many hours spent replacing parts and keeping the tractor in service, I am hooked and my wife is genuinely concerned. she caught me today in the middle of the lawn jacked up, deck,panels wheels and front axle off to unfreeze the steering knuckles. I never thought to take those spacers out clean them up and grease. Now it takes two fingers to steer and I can drink coffee while I mow. anyway we are adding a couple more acres and a new house to my 1 acre mow and throw chore.
I am looking at another 782 with the kt 17 I know the engine weakness but I have done fine so far and i have been prepared to repower when the time comes.
A red 782D showed up for sale in the area It seemed clean but I am a little nervous about all the additional parts in the diesel and the cost of repair. Does anyone have a experience with the Kubota How many hours are you expected to get out of them? Are they reliable? any information would be a tremendous help, Thanks John

John Francis S. For heaven's sake.... grab that 782D before someone else gets it. They are awesome tractors. You will love it. Plus when you burn bioWillie in it then the smell of Chinese cooking or french fries will drive everyone nuts.

Ya'all have a wonderful day... work beckons.

Scott, thank you for the suggestion. I took a look and found the service manual which I had not seen before, but it still doesn't show me much.

I can see which way the bolt head faces, and even that the tension adjusting bracket is oriented with the side sporting the weld facing towards the outside. I am missing parts, but which parts and in what order they are installed I cannot determine entirely from the service manual or the owner's manual.

227467.jpg

I guess I could still use a picture, or a good description from someone that has an assembled unit. The parts lookup only pictures a spacer and the pulley, and I'm not even sure that what I have is a spacer and not a washer.

Cory if all the pulleys look correct and in line as they should be, you may have some dirt buildup or rust on the deck pulleys. After installing the belt, raise the deck as high as it will raise, and put the pto in gear at about 1/2 throtle and let it run for 6 to 8 minutes. Lower the deck one notch and let run for a few minutes, then in mowing position for a few minutes. This will heat the belt up and wear the rust off the pulleys. This has worked for me when using a deck that has sat outside for a period of time. Just my 02c

john francis sirois

If you can get a 782 diesel (buy it) . you won`t be disappointed with the diesel for power or fuel usage,they sip fuel . I have a 1512 Diesel and can run it for over 12 hrs on a tank of fuel. Just the savings on fuel make them so nice to have. They have a few problems but mostly are maintenance items like cleaning grounds and replacing filters . And there real easy to resell and the engines go forever with no problems. I would not be afraid of a high hr tractor if the oil has been changed and new filter every 50 hrs or so.I`am a fan of the diesel since I bought a basket case 1512 a few years ago and would buy another if I could find one in any shape.
1AA_dance2.gif

Jeff, Hugh,
I believe the air gap on the electric PTO clutch should be .010 , not 0.10. The position of the decimal point does make a difference.

Jeff, check the fuse, and the wire connection to the clutch at the front of the engine/frame rail area.

Don't look now, but "MAYBE" a REAL early Cub Cadet, #523 has been found. The vultures are already circling.

Denny, ummm, were gonna need more details!! Oh, and don't forget:

worthless.gif

Keith, WELCOME!
WELCOME.gif

I can take a photo this evening of one of my mule drive setups.

Keith, here's a photo I have in my archives. Please note that it is missing the tension spring. You might be able to make out the assembly sequence of the nuts, washers, spacer and so on. If not, as I mentioned I will get some photos this evening.

227470.jpg

Cory Owens,
Please note Keith Adams' post! That gives you a real good look at the belt alignment.

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

I have no way of knowing if this is correct for the sub frame on my 147 , but here are two pictures of how the mule drive pulleys are set up on it. hope this helps ( po did have a deck installed ) Later Don T

227475.jpg

227476.jpg

Those pictures should tell him how to install the spacers and washers .

Thanks Marlin and Don, That was enough encouragement to put me in pursuit. The Tractor is red with the IH logo and name on it. I didn't think IH made these? It looks to be the same as What Marlin and his cat are driving in his profile.That is a cat isn't it Marlin? John

Keith-

One thing that has been briefly mentioned is the spacer which is probably in your yard somewhere. It goes in the hole in the small piece of plate welded to the threaded rod/bolt (the adjuster). This allows it to pivot on the bolt as adjustments are made. A washer keeps the spacer in place which is also probably in the yard. I don't know how well parts look up shows this but you will need both to get her back right.

Good luck.

Don, thanks for the photos but something on the spring end isn't correct on your setup...

Latest posts

Back