• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 10, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkortkamp

displayname
Larry
Well, got some cub time tonight. Last weekend I got the deck put on the 127. Could use some new parts, but I greased everything, oiled the tensioner pulleys and sharpened the blades. It's kinda noisy, but I'll get around to new bearings at some point. The deck has been patched up on the rear edge, but functional.

After mowing with my 149 tonight, I fired up the 127 and tried it out. Wow, mows pretty nice(better since that deck has training wheels on the outer edge to help keep the scalping under control. My yard is horribly rough--that is a whole other deal). I bought wheels for the 149 deck, but never got around to making the brackets. Now that I have samples, I'll duplicate them.

I've done nothing much other then rebuild the front axle pivot, spindle pivots and new tires. I just put fresh oil in it, some fresh gas(with Marvel Mystery Oil) and it runs really well. It didn't really smoke...til I got it under load. Looks like it could use a rebuild before I really try to work it too much. It rides really nice with new tires(compared to the antique rock hard tires on 149). Along with the nice tight steering!

I have a nice picture with the pair in the driveway...only problem is I can't seem to downsize enough to get it to load on here. Even resizing it to literally a spec, it is still too many KB. These new phones have way too good of camera's in them.

Larry, if you would like, you can email your photo to me and I'll get it posted.
happy.gif
Email address is in my profile.

Kraig M,

Earlier this year you posted David Kirk's engine break-in procedure that he gave you for your Killer Kohler engine after he rebuilt it. I thought I made a copy of it but now can't find it. Could you repost it again? Thanks.

Is 18 and an eigth inches sound right for overall
length of the drives shaft for a model 72? I am trying to make a pile of parts into a tractor again. Thanks

Question for the forum. Having a K161 rebuilt and the shop has found that the piston sits proud of the block by approx. 0.150 inches. Any suggestions? Shop has checked the rod twice and the piston is standard size.
320503.jpg

Here is the K181 that was rebuilt last year after running for ten minutes - don't want to see that happen again.
320504.jpg

And since it is off topic Friday - here is a photo I took last August at Cape Canaveral AFB of the Falcon Heavy in preparation.
320505.jpg

Jim- It looks like you need a k181 rod, they are 1/8" shorter than the k161 rod. The 181 has 1/4" longer stroke and I think they use the same piston so the rod is shorter.

David S, a #1 (32 inch wide) tiller is listed at 200 lbs, so I would guess a #2 would fall between 225 and 250 lbs. Which sounds about right if you have manhandled one around before.

Jim K.
We really need to know what the part numbers are for the rod and piston. The spec number for the block would cool too.
beerchug.gif

Is it still OFF Topic Week??
Thought I'd through this one out there
happy.gif

12.5-lbs

320516.jpg

Well not much done here, rain today. I did help my friend move his original in pieces today, some here at my house and some in his garage. He gave me parts of a 42" blade. So all in all a good day.

I've been cutting and welding the rot holes in the mower deck for the 73. Mother Nature trying to take it back!

Started late too, dang grass looks like a forest.
err.gif

Add on hydraulic pump question...
Are pumps such as some guys use to power loader hydraulics on a Cub Cadet different from one another as to use via belt drive or direct shaft drive?

Example, a pump mounted directly to the crank on an engine as compared to one mounted underneath on a mule drive frame or elsewhere and run from a belt off the PTO or rear of the engine.

I have heard there is a difference in side pull (belt driven) pumps compared to direct drive pumps. Pumps rated for side pull or not.

My 149 project uses a belt driven pump from the flywheel end of the engine and I want to possibly duplicate this set up on a custom install for a 128 w/creeper for a hydraulic lift in a tiller operation.

Thanks guys!!

David.... a pulley driven pump needs bearings that will take the lateral pull of the belt. When comparing shaft vs. belt ratings remember to look at pressure and gph at operational speed and then on belt driven calculate that speed taking pulley ratio into account..

Just personal experience, I'll let the hydraulic experts cover the important stuff..

Latest posts

Back