• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 12, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Troy , start with removing the carb , take it apart and clean it , get a rebuild kit and install the new parts in the carb .
It also sounds like you may have a stuck valve . you can remove the head on top of the engine (which probably needs done anyway) and check the valves + clean any carbon build up . also get a new head gasket . this is where I would start if you have already done the points and set them to specs. do you have good spark at the plug?

Good Morning,
This is my first post on this site so I hope to do it right.
I have owned a IH 782 for almost 20 years and have used it as my only mower to do yard work. I've always been a bit nuts about keeping all my stuff clean and waxed up to look like new,but my buddies think I'm nuts about this cub! I mow over an acre and wanted a zero turn and when I talked about selling this 782 I was told this could be a collectable. This is how I found this site.
Could someone out here tell me something about the history,production,various engines,or anything about this? Does it have value beyond a 20 something year old mower?
My 782 is red with a Kohler 18 horse,44 inch deck,chrome IH wheel covers,and is in great shape except for the seat cover.Heck,I even have a snowblower for it that I got at the same time but from a different person,and it must be close to the same age.
Any info I could obtain would be great so I can decide what to do with it.Thanks for listening!

Charlie-
That's pretty neat.

There's only one person (that I know of) that has prints for a Cub Cadet hitch with true draft sensing, and the old Brinly prints to make it.
82432.jpg

Finally got a combination of decent weather and time enough to try out one of the Cub Cadet Vermeer Trenchers yesterday. It is a model M147A I believe. I actually know of 4 in existence now, all the same. Supposably Vermeer bought 100 cubs from IH, but have no documentation yet. Vermeer bought stripped down 147's from IH and put a small trencher on them and sold them. Was supposed to be a rainy weekend, but we got surprised here in NH and it has been awesome so far. There are pictures and a link to a youtube video of it in operation. The throttle cable is junk so I could only try it at an idle for now, just wanted to see it work before I disassemble and restore it. Have a great Sunday! Eric Finally got a combination of decent weather and time enough to try out one of the Cub Cadet Vermeer Trenchers yesterday. It is a model M147A I believe. I actually know of 4 in existence now, all the same. Supposably Vermeer bought 100 cubs from IH, but have no documentation yet. Vermeer bought stripped down 147's from IH and put a small trencher on them and sold them. Was supposed to be a rainy weekend, but we got surprised here in NH and it has been awesome so far. There are pictures and a link to a youtube video of it in operation. The throttle cable is junk so I could only try it at an idle for now, just wanted to see it work before I disassemble and restore it. Have a great Sunday! Eric Finally got a combination of decent weather and time enough to try out one of the Cub Cadet Vermeer Trenchers yesterday. It is a model M147A I believe. I actually know of 4 in existence now, all the same. Supposably Vermeer bought 100 cubs from IH, but have no documentation yet. Vermeer bought stripped down 147's from IH and put a small trencher on them and sold them. Was supposed to be a rainy weekend, but we got surprised here in NH and it has been awesome so far. There are pictures and a link to a youtube video of it in operation. The throttle cable is junk so I could only try it at an idle for now, just wanted to see it work before I disassemble and restore it. Have a great Sunday! Eric http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhVavWvTCU

Eric,
That's awesome. Can't wait to see it restored and all purdy! I'm jealous.

Charlie...Who is that Male Model with the camera that you took the picture of standing behind Steve B.????
screwloose.gif

Digger how much and how soon? Genuine set up for cat "o" or cub cadet cat "o"? Put me down for at least one. Gotta go and get some seat time the weather here is finally decent enough to get the shreader and 129 in the garden.
thumbsup.gif

For clarification; I am not wanting to sell at this time, please quit sending offers. I want to know where to take the 169 to have it evaluated for value. I use it for mowing and general yard hauling currently. Should it be stored and just do the up keep, or keep on riding? }}

Just keep on riding man. It's a tractor it is ment to be used not left sitting in the shed. Finding somebody to evaluate a cub is hard to do the guys that know what they are worth are few and far between. Just watch the for sale section and look in the archives for stuff like it that has already been sold or posted.

Mr. Edwards please read the rules about asking us to determine the value of a peice of equipment and understand it before someone poofs your post.
banned1.gif

If you are worried about the up keep of this "investment" sell it.

Gentlemen: Thankyou ALL for your input. More questions tho...
1. Brendan, what does CC) mean & how can i find out what the differences are between the models? What years were these built. Thanks.
2. Matt, re: belt vs shaft drives. Does the 70-73 &/or 100 Model CC have shaft drives? I've got a restored 1970 JD110 with an 8HP Kohler that is belt driven & it purrs, even when used to plow snow/gravel or throw snow.
3. Todd, "a IH built cub". who else makes them?
4. Yosemite Sam, what's a Yuppie?
Thanks,
Tom

I finally got! I have a red one! a great 782.
And for the low-low price of... FREE! actually a guy wanted to trade my dad for this manual lift cart thing we never used. so, um, ok! Then he passed it on to me cause he knew i've been on the hunt for about 8 months.

it has a yellow axel cause the guys son broke it when he crashed it into a ditch a full bore. it needs a govorner spring, it over revs a soon as you touch the throttle. It's missing from the carb.

82448.jpg

82449.jpg

the wieghts are reportedly from a crane of some sort. I'm not really sure. but they curiously fit right in the lip of the rim and have the right holes to bolt right on.

82450.jpg

and it came with a plow!

82451.jpg

Tom--

1) "CC"" is short for "Cub Cadet" it is quicker than typing it all out.

2)Unless it is a bottom of the line lawn mower or rear engine rider (the motor is behind the operator) It is shaft driven. There are very few excepting to the drive shaft.

3)"IH built " means just that. Cub cadet was the lawn and garden line from International Harvester from 1961 until 1981 When the line was sold and became CCC Cub Cadet Corperation and now belongs to MTD products as their premeir equipment line. So in short there are no new IH built Cub Cadets.

4) "Whats a yuppie?" Why do you ask? It is a guy that only collects cub cadets with out the desire to actually take them out and get them dirty every once in a while. Yosemite Sam isn't a yuppie he is a redneck.

The green machines sure are getting a lot of time this weekend. We wont have to keep talking about them to long will we.
angel.gif

Tom R.-

All Cub Cadet gear drive Garden Tractors built 1961 to 1994?, with the exception of the 1100/482 and 582 special (not Garden Tractors in my opinion) are shaft drive with a spring loaded 4.5" dry disc clutch. No crappy belt clutch. Only the original has a belt between the engine and driveshaft, and it still has the same type of clutch as the other Cub Cadet gear-drive garden tractors.

I'll also answer your question to Todd. IH sold the Cub Cadet line to MTD in 1981 and formed CCC (Cub Cadet Corp.) Their Garden Tractors are still high-quality machines in my opinion.

Welcome to all the newbies.
wave.gif
By posting and asking many questions we all learn.

Eric T. Sweet.

Nic B. Very nice find. Congratulations!!!

Charlie P. Knowing first hand of Aaron's quality in workmanship and reasonable prices needless to say I'll be saving for one to install on Fancy's 1650. And patiently waiting for the Narrow Frame model (hopefully designed to accomadate a rear pto).

Too messy yet to work outside and a tad bit chilly. I started to tear up the lawn so I put everything away until the ground settles a little more.

Thanks Dean & Matt.
Matt - i went to your site. The "original" you picked up is "the look" i like, with the round fenders. Interesting paint job
happy.gif

I also looked in the Classifieds. There is a gentlemen selling one for WAYYY too much money, in comparison to ... well, you know.
Thanks again.

Rich,

I took the head off yesterday and cleaned all the carbon build up and checked the valves, they work great. There is definitely plenty of spark. As for the carb I haven't done much to that yet. I'm trying to remember if the last time my buddy and I worked on it if he got a rebuild kit for it(there was a day where I was at work and he was wrenching on the tractor and he picked up some parts for it) but I haven't been able to get a hold of him to ask him.

I've been working on it again today, and the same stuff is happening. Keeps backfiring out of the exhaust when you try to use the choke. I'm just wondering if it might be the carb, maybe at some points not getting enough fuel, and at other getting to much.

I'm just running out of ideas.

Tom...which one in the classifieds were you looking at (day and post time)?
When I put CCO it's for Cub Cadet Original. They were just called the Cub Cadet then.

Back