• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 20, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
TRISTAN - Actually a Hydro works best for Roto- tilling, gear drives are best for moldboard plowing & discing.
BRENNAN - 7 HP CC's and mowing...I'm going to respectfuly disagree wiih Don T., Those little engines have their hands full moving a CC and running a 38" deck. Grass variety and whether the land is level or hilly makes a HUGE difference too, We have crabgrass in the midwest, grows fast, stays damp, and pulls rather hard when mowing. Most times You have to carefully slide the transmission from 2nd into 1st to mow that stuff or climb a hill. A 10 HP runs a 38" deck well, but then it has 40+% more HP & torque. A 7 HP will mow O-K, but it pulls the engine hard enough it won't last near as long, You'll have to mow slower, and probably more frequently.
When I was really young and CC's were new, We broke that toothed timing beld on the 38" timed deck every year, even in 1964 Dollars it cost $22 back then, and the whole new CCO & deck only cost less than $600. When We broke the second belt in spring 1965 the CCO was traded for the 70 JUST to get away from that belt. Those timed decks do mow well but there's a limit on how much HP You can put to them because of the tiny belt that runs from the center pulley to the timing belt pulley. The 70 mowed everything around Our farm, about 2 acres plus the farm My Folks ended up buying a half mile away, close to another two acres, every week, and after three years the 70 was getting real tired and We had the engine rebuilt, three years later Dad & I rebuilt it ourselves, three years later We installed a complete K181 replacement engine. See the pattern? The 10 & 12 HP K241 & K301's hold up better because they don't work as hard and really don't burn much more fuel. My most fuel efficient mower was the 129 w/44A deck, mowed My 2+ acres on about 2-1/2 gal. of gas. Every other CC I've used takes over 3.

ANDREW C. - Sounds like You have a K241 10 HP. They're a good engine, they act WAY more powerful than their 10 HP rating. It's really simple to drop a K241 into a 7 or 8 HP Cubbie too. Everything bolts right up. IH did their homework up front!

Andrew C: Do you have the wide rear fender pan that began with the 73, 1x6/7 series?? If so and with a K-241 engine and gear shift, then you have a Model 73 with an engine upgrade (it's an easy bolt-in replacement) or a 106 with an incorrect hood/model decal on it. Either would indicate a PO or dealer modification. You can be assured that it didn't come from the factory that way. Besides, I'm sure you will like it just as I do my 106...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Dennis F ,I would agree with you on what you posted about crab grass being hard to mow, but well since most of my lawns were replaced with top loam and reseeded (129 loader needed some work) the O did a fine job and i mow at 3/4 t and second gear.it does take me about 1hr and 20 min to mow with the Cub and then there is all the extra things to do around trees and shrubs ect. My o was (2281) dec 1961 and still has std piston i saw when i cleaned the carbon out and replaced the head gasket.I think its the most enjoyable cub to use to mow with.The O will have headlights and tail light this spring as i bought them over a year ago. just to many things to do and so little time.If i had a bigger lawn i would use my 147 or 149 to mow but they both use more gas that the O. later Don T
113491.jpg

Thanks for the info, my issue is that the wiring harness is only 5 months old, so I am wondering if there is something else I should be looking for. As I said the grounding bolt to the s/g bracket was loose, so I would hate to spend another 75 bucks for a wiring harness 40 for a reg just to watch it fry again...

Kevin Pecor (Kpecor), i have bought these for the ground cable from the s/g to frame and don`t have a problem. they are used on a big truck to connect more than one battery together so they are quite an overkill.
113495.jpg

I really like the Original as a fun to use Cub that does suprise me what it can do for the HP.
113496.jpg

DON T. - My yard is flat, but not level, slopes uphill towards the road more & more as You get closer to the road, plus has a steep ditch right next to the road. When I mow with the 72 & 38" deck it takes 5-6 hours with "Beverage Breaks", I have an AM/FM/Cassette deck on the 72 with headphones and it's ALL about quality seat time! I mow in 1st gear with it, the 19T 2nd is a bit too fast. The 982 w/50C deck takes about 2-3/4 to 3 hrs, the old 129 & 44A deck took right at 3 hrs. When Son & I both mowed with the 72 & 129 We could always get done in under two hours.
I've got something between 80 and 100 trees & bushes in the yard to mow/trim around. Takes a LOT of time. Son & I used to time how fast We could mow a nice open 1/4 acre space in Our yard years ago with the 10 HP 72 & 38" deck and 129/44A deck. We'd fly, watch each other on turns....normally took 5-6 minutes.

Did You ever figure out what was up with Your 54" wide blade about the ends digging in when angled and raised?

It's good to see Your pic's of green grass & trees instead of the sea of WHITE SNOW everywhere around here. Weatherman said it was supposed to get in the 30's this week around here but temps are hovering around 18-20 for high's, lows in the single digits with more below Zero temps coming this weekend! BRRRRR.

Kevin
A loose ground wire doesn't help, but it sounds as if maybe a wire or two was crossed or connected to the wrong terminal. What specific terminals were the two ends of the blue wire connected to?

Myron, Andrew actually the 73 wouldn't have any fenders as stock and if it did have the optional fenders they would be the round ones, similar to the fenders on an Original. The 73 would have a white painted metal dash. Here's what a 73 looks like:

113498.jpg

Here's another photo of a 73, this one has the wrong seat.

113500.jpg

Just to confirm, Will a 104 rear end w/out creeper, fit on my 122 w/creeper? Will the 122 creeper work with the 104 rear end in the 122? I think the answer is yes,but wanted to make sure.

Thank, Brad

Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) thanks , i did discover that the sub frame let the 54" blade tip back and when it was turned left or right the back corner of the blade would dig in. i will modify the sub frame soon.

I do have the same problem with so much to mow around that i have run over a new bush that the wife has planted. well she will the drive a stake in so i can see it lol. a lot of work goes into a yard to make it easy to look after. did i say i love to cut grass lol
113504.jpg

113505.jpg

Kevin, A loose bolt and/or a bad ground shouldn't add up to a wiring fire. I do know they are not funny. Keith L got to fix one of my messes. Somewhere for a wiring fire you need a short. It is a shame there were not fuses on the older cubs. Cannot think of how mixing positives could overheat the wire with the voltage/amprage we are working with.

Kinda' a crappy copy but I dug this up the other day going through some stuff. Picture was taken 9-66 at our farm. The two model A fords were bought from a Country Club that used them for the grounds crew and were going to update to more "modern equipment". "O'l Blue" was a '29 Ford A and the "Gray Ghost" was a '30 Ford A (and in fact my Dad's first car as a teen). That's my Cousins on the A's, Dad on the Ford 8N, and me on the 100. I, like my cousins, were just under 14 at the time of the picture.
113512.jpg

Thanks Guys, there were no crossed wires as I have been running the cub for about 3 months and it ran fine. Like I said previously, every electrical component is new right down to the points... I haven't the first clue about wiring, so this one really gets me, if everything is new, why would it cause a fire...

DON T. - People who landscaped Our yard put a LOT of trees & bushes into clumps or groups, but there's still alternating Maple's & Locust trees with evergreens alternating along both LONG sides of Our yard, two rows of trees every 40-50 ft along the 400+/-ft long sides, plus various types of Maples scattered around the yard. Not enough maples to gather sap for syrup but they sure make a HUGE pile of leaves every year.

TOM H. - Those two Model A's sure look nice.....but I think Your Dad got the short stick in the picture, sitting on the 8N.

Kevin P,

As you remove your fried wiring harness, look for any signs where a metal edge could have been rubbing on the wires that fried that could have worn through the insulation and caused a short. Possibly a wire harness C-clip may have lost its rubber coating due to age and is now bare metal and they can wear through the wire insulation fairly quickly due to engine vibrations.

Kraig has a neat method of restoring the coating on the wire harness c-clips using larger diameter heat shrink insulation for wires and a heat gun.

113514.jpg

113515.jpg

Or you can make your own custom clips like I did for my Original. I couldn't find the size and style that I wanted so I bought some uninsulated clips from McMaster-Carr that were close to what I wanted and modified them.

Wahoo! All this time off has been fruitful! I am now the proud owner of a 104! The guy who owned it happened to be a good friend of my grandfather, so long story short my grandad told me to go talk to him and well, it's mine....for free! The engine turns freely by hand and it has a cab on it with soft sides although its green and yellow so I'm not sure it is a cub cab (maybe repainted). Tires are checked badly and I believe it has an internal brake, Dennis you or Kraig would know that better than I! I havent quite figured out where I will put it and I'm not sure if I should fix it up or take the parts that will also work on my 106. I'm leaning towards fixing. I'm pretty darn lucky to have even seen it from the road, but I'm not complainin!!
bouncy.gif

Latest posts

Back