• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 20, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KRAIG, RON - Another option, though not "OEM" is to use an insulated "Army-Navy Clip" It's a 360 deg. clip with a separate rubber or silicon rubber insert that wraps around the metal. Dad bought a BUNCH of them from a surplus outlet that followed Me home a couple years ago. Summit Racing calls them "insulated clamps", avail. from 1/4" ID to 1-1/2" ID. Also good hardware stores will have similar clamps made from nylon without the rubber inserts, cheaper and non-conductive so may save a Cubbie from burning.

I almost lost My 72 to fire about 5 yrs ago. The light switch was getting "Fussy" about working, Typical hardware store "standard" push-pull switch, plenty of amp & volt capacity for the lights, One night when I was done mowing the lights automatically went out, turned the switch off, wiggled it a bit, turned it on/off a few times, put the 72 away and as usual disconnected the ground cable on the battery. Next day went out to do more yard work and discovered the connecting terminals on the switch had BURNED OFF the side of the switch from the heat of the resistance inside the switch. The switch is mounted in the OEM location so all this was going on less than an inch from the battery. The lead to the switch was fused, 10A if I remember right, fuse didn't blow. The wiring for the switch for the lights was ALL replaced with 12 ga wire, new switch is rated 75A @ 12V, old switch was only 20A @ 12V. I'd almost recommend installing a "Fusable Link" into the wiring of these tractors like used in cars/trucks but I don't have any experience with them.

Any car stereo place would have fusable links available, another good place is Crutchfield and you can order online. I have seen them at NAPA as well but am unsure of how heavy duty they are. They are however fairly easy to install.

Thanks again guys for all the info, I am ripping the wiring out tonight and will start over... Any idea whether this has killed the S/G too. The regulator is done, but I am not sure how to test the s/g without ripping apart... Thx again

Denny "F",
Hey the 8N was STILL a Ford. Just joking. The 8N was a pretty nice setup for the Bush Hog. As a kid of 13 the Model A's was a blast to drive around as a "pickup" on the farm. We would get those thing pretty wound up when the Ol' man was looking. He's would be turning over in his grave if he only knew what we <u>REALLY</u> did with those things. Funny part is no one ever got hurt, not like all those yuppie parents today who weight nown their Kids with elbow guards, knee pads, helment, saftey glasses, ear plugs, (What? I can't see what your saying. Did I mention that all my joints hurt and I have a constant headache?)... HELMENTS!!! We don't knew no stinking helments.

TOM - But the CC 100 looks more like a CAT! And the 8N, well...LOOKS like an 8N. It needs a FUNK Conversion. Neighbor had one with a flathead in-line 6 on LP, was a MEAN tractor on a hay rake! or other light load.

I hear what Your saying about Kids, and even their parents today. Good thing that 40 yrs ago We healed up faster than We do now right? Like My Father-in-law always says...."What Don't KILL Ya' makes You Stronger!"

Tristan - I'm in west-central MN with clay/loam soil, and I've had great success plowing my garden in the fall, turning plenty of organic matter under (leaves, non-vine garden stalks, etc), then using a tiller in the spring. The fall plowing lets the snow settle into all the furrow gaps, providing good moisture as it melts. Those same gaps also allow spring air and sunshine to dry it out well enough to till it up a little earlier than if it wasn't fall plowed. But don't get too anxious and till it when it's still wet, or you'll end up with a lot of 'clumps' in your garden, instead of nice smooth soil. Your composting will pay nice benefits, too. If you don't do the fall plowing you can still get a nice soil bed with the tiller in the spring, but it'll be more work, and fall plowing is fun! Plowing without tilling will leave you disappointed. Just my thoughts... Good Luck with your garden!

Greg - Great advice about the fall plowing of gardens. That was the first use I had for My moldboard plow on My 72, fall plowing My Dad & Sister-in-law's gardens. Hit them when they're dry in the spring with either a rototiller or even a Brinley disc and they work up like a sandbox. The freeze/thaw action during the winter breaks the slabs up or loosens them up so they just fall apart.
The last year Dad farmed I fall plowed everything except for about three acres, something like 153 acres of the 160, there were 4 acres in buildings. We disced the three acres a dozen times in the spring but it still didn't work up as nice and the rest that was fall plowed. When Dad started planting corn & beans it took Him half a day to get the old planter adjusted so it wouldn't bury the seed too deep in the loose mellow dirt. We tried to fall plow a little every year but seldom got more than a few acres done. I started in AUGUST that last year. Alfalfa sod pulls REALLY hard in August. 4010/4020 JD's were 5-bottom tractors around home, but even pulling 4-14's was too much in that sod. I could have made better time with a 3-bottom.

Kraig, do you happen to have good pics of what a 104 in good shape looks like? Thanks ahead

I need some advice I have a 72 cub the throttle cable keeps on slipping at the handle where the set screw is. The set screw is in the whole way and tight how can I prevent it from slipping again like it usually does after it slips the first time. getting tired of spending money on a new one when it is not totally broken help is needed thanks. The throttle cable is model # IH-543918-R1 origial equipment if this helps anybody

Hey I'm new here Just wanted to say Hi, My name is Dave. I'm from CT. I own 3 cub cadets and if any saw nuts in here i have a ton of stihl saws.My cubs are an original, 100, and a fully restored 1200. If you want to know more feel free to ask. Here is a few links to my tractors
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Mopar0096/MVC-012F.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Mopar0096/MVC-014F-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Mopar0096/MVC-015S-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Mopar0096/08PD10.jpg

david welcome, i have a100 myself, BTW i like your tire set up!

Yeah they are cool I had a set of really aggressive 6-12s on it that were loaded but, I put those on my oringinal with a ton of weight to plow so I threw the big guns on that tractor. That 100 really is a great straight tractor and runs well. I plan to leave it as is. I use it too much to put new paint on it and everything. All I did to it so far was to put a new steering stem on it.

David-
Welcome to the forum!
happy.gif

Scott-
It's not a complete tractor, but does this help?
113541.jpg

hey Dave! I see you commented on the STIHL saws!! I own a few myself, most of them are used daily, Did you ever hear of a MALL? Chicago ILL.Two men and a boy to run this saw!!

Overhaul of my CC147 K321 complete, had the starter / generator rebuilt. Now for the carb. rebuild (loose throttle shaft, etc.). I purchased a rebuild kit from my local parts dealer, new shafts & bushings ($$$). Do you guys have any tips, pictures, tools, drawings that will help. Thanks, Jim

can anybody tell me, is the right angle gearbox the same on the tiller as it is on the snowblower? they sure look the same to me, but I'm not sure if the shafts are the same or not. would really appreaciate some feedback on this, I am needing one for my 36" snowblower, so thought I better check before I buy one that didn't quite fit................mike
help.gif

Thanks Aatay! I couldve spent more time checking the one I'm getting out but it was about 2 degrees yesterday and I was definatley NOT dressed for it! I told my wife and she seemed to take it much better than I thought she would have!! Although she told me I haaaad to put it in the shed because she "Didnt want tractors all over the place"!! I will post some pics when I bring it home.

Michael, here's some info from the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup website. I'll let you do the comparison. I will point out the mounting tabs on the two boxes are different.

113547.jpg

113548.jpg

Above is the Tiller Gear Box info.

113549.jpg

113550.jpg

Above is the Snowthrower Gear Box info.

Hi everyone, great forum. Long time reader, first time poster. I just wanted to introduce myself before I started asking questions. My name is Jim and I'm from east central Wisconsin. I've owned a 100, a 2140, and currently run a 169. I'm new to the hobby, but I have some familty members that are already in hip deep.

My question is this. I'm looking at adding a 123 to the family, and I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should be looking at when I go check it out. It's been sitting for a while out behind the guy's shed, it had quit running last spring and has been there since. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back