• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 20, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie "Digger" Proctor
Thanks my wife called from out post office where she has worked for all 36 years we have shared. To laugh (and her fellow workers) at the address you sent my blades to ( Little Donnie Tanner), Thanks ,
another place I can`t go lol.
old.gif

I might be making a trip to Maine in the next few weeks,Frank and Don....
I have some of those mr. Tanner!!!I think I may get Poffedededed

What is the difference between the QA42 and the QA42A Blower. I just bought a QA42A blower and think it may have been a bad choice. I am using it on either a 128 or a 149.

Also, does anyone ahve a photo of the 149 engine area, the PO did not ahve all of the engine shield parts on the tractor and I need to really visually see what is missing.

Todd,
The QA42A is for a wide frame like you have or can be used on narrow frames as well. I'd use it on the 149. The 128 would work, but you'd need a creeper to make it work better.

The QA42 is for narrow frames.

Whew. I thought I was right in buying a QA42A.

I think I am going to use the 149 with the blower and the 128 with the blade. The 149 should be easier for my wife to run anyway. My 128 does have a creeper gear.

Just picked up the blower and the 149 today. 650 mile round trip.

I get to play tomorrow!

dunno.gif
One could argue that snow throwers are also technically snow blowers. They throw the snow out, so it can be blown right back in your face.
proud.gif

Todd,
Another thing, that 149 makes it a breeze to lift with the hydro lift. That armstrong lift on the 128 will build ya some muscles, unless its gotta spring assist, too
bouncy.gif

Yep, they are good for blowing snow into the wind, then into the face
crazy.gif

Yep, spring assist too! No workout there.

I'll be making a list for the 149 tomorrow.

Ok, ok, ok - so we don't confuse everyone on here without lengthy tenure, if I recall correctly, IH officially defined a snow "thrower" as being a single stage unit (an auger that performed intake and output), and a snow "blower" as a 2 stage unit (an auger for intake and a fan to blow out). I believe Kraig may have a copy of the official IH definition statement. There was some additional info at some point that IH research of throwers and blowers, identified performance of the size units used on our tractors as being equal, and the lesser weight of single stage provided an advantage to the tractors so they produced single stage units.

Kraig - do you have that publication????

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die - even in snow drifts produced by an IH snow thrower.

Would a k181 carburator of same vintage work as well as a k161 carburetor on my Original Cub Cadet. If I find one of them for reasonable price, would it work okay?

I bought tractor last Friday, and have it pretty well tore down. Carb looks pretty dead and corroded badly. But rest of tractor is surface rust. Will need new belts everwhere and new bearing on front idler pulleys that power mower.

I was so excited to get started I forgot to take pictures of how it originally looked. Oh well. Only bright new yellow and white in near future.

thanks for your suggestions.

Hello, I am new to the forum but am hoping to find some answers from all of you experienced Cub techs. I have a 1450 in decent shape. The engine runs strong, no smoke, cranks very quickly. I have reset points, new coil, new condenser, rebuilt carburetor, new air filter and I currently have the mowing deck removed for restoration. Prior to all of these recent repairs and replacement, the tractor had set unattended under cover for 10 yrs. It now runs well at high idle and low idle as it has been set by the factory specs. Here is my issue: I took the tractor out for a drive this evening and encountered a problem that I experienced right after we pulled it out of storage, but was able to understand today. When driving on flat land at top speed or uphill at slow speed there is no problem. However, if on asphalt I hit a steep incline at top speed the tractor begins to struggle as though the engine was being stalled by force, not by internal malfunction. It seems as through the transmission is dragging and causing the engine to stall. When this problem happens I can prevent the engine from stalling by pulling the shifter back to neutral and then after the engine resumes normal speed, push the lever to a very slow speed. At a slow speed, it will pull the hill. Another factor that leads me to the transmission is the speed of the transmission seems inconsistent when driving on on relatively flat land. It will vary its speed at full cruise. If anyone has a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated. The problem did seem to be complicated when I pulled the hydro lift lever. It seemed to bring on the problem as well. Thanks!

Chad

Bill Rehm - I had nothing to do so I drove myself NUTS over your attempt to mount a QA42A on your 102. WE NEED LOTS OF PICS!!!! You cannot remove that pin you mentioned previously as that pin is to hold the long upper bar. The long upper bar should have a slotted hole. I believe you need to use this hole to mount it on the front of your tractor frame. It needs a loose mounting. To mount on the rear/middle of your tractor frame you have to use the open slot of the bracket. This is the only way I can figure it will mount. You need 2 mounting points so it's stablized. I'm starting to wonder if you have the upper bars for the QA42A.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die - and neither do some wizards

Seeing as Harry opened this up again... last Saturday I took a short drive up to St. Nazianz and made a stop at Madson's to try and figure out my QA-42A mounting to a 102 issue once and for all. After 45 minutes of discussion we came to the conclusion that we can't figure out how it is designed to work. I appears that some, I'm assuming later, 102's had the hitch-bolt installed. I will move ahead with the fabrication of a bracket that will bolt to the 2 holes available in my frame and extend forward to provide a "hitch-bolt" for the thrower to attach to.

Michael GLenn - A K181 carb should bolt right on your K161. They're the same cab, only difference is the elbow on the intake end of the Original CC's carb for the oil bath air cleaner which is just screwed onto the carb itself.

Unless you have your CC's engine apart already and know for sure the engine IS a K161, there's a pretty good chance there's a K181 already in your CC. They were the service replacement engine for the K161 from about 1973. About the only difference was the K161 only had 2-1/2" stroke and the K181 had 2-3/4" stroke for more displacement & HP those little K161's really needed.

Hey terry! Im right by you!! WOO HOO!! St Louis.

Hey, Timothy. I work near Lambert Airport - I can look out my window here at work and see the airport. In fact I hear a commercial jet right now, either taking off or landing. Are you going to Cubarama? It's Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week, Sept. 23-25.

Chad, change the Hydro/transaxle oil and filter,if you haven't already. You will need a differential rear cover gasket, oil filter,oil and a large diameter drain pan (can get sort of messy the first time you do it. Obtain/down load a copy of the operators manual, fluid capacities,lubrication points,intervals and lots of other helpful info in there. The trans/hydro oil can get really bad if it hasn't been changed for a while and even plug the filter, starving the hydro of oil. Wipe out the interior if contaminated (usually by condensation,a charecteristic of these units).

Latest posts

Back