• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allen: I don't NEED one, I have one and am using it. I got this one from a guy that paid $20 for it at a yard sale and brought it up here from New Hampshire. I gave him $100 for it because (of this forum and confuser, not neccesarily in that order) I knew what the original ones were selling for. I'm just wondering what it would cost to replicate one of them today.
Hatches battened down? Kitties in their special lower drawer of the bureau in the bedroom?
happy.gif

Wayne - before that wind gets going to strong you need MORE BATTERY power. You mentioned before you measured 12.2V at your battery and I didn't think that was enough. I just went and check my 2 year old battery that I keep on a float charger and I measured 13.08V.
As far as your dipstick popping up, check the rubber O-ring, and the cap before you start diggin to much deeper.

Speakin of trailers / carts ,, I bought one of those Agri Fab 17 cubic foot trailers from lowes,bout ten years ago.It came in a box,had to put together.It was the biggest one I could find at the time,as far as lawn trailers go. The only problem at the time was the craftsmen I had with a 20horse kohler or whatever it was back then wouldnt pull it up the small hill in the backyard. even with weights, it would,but you couldnt put a payload in it,and bck then I was selling alot of firewood,thats what I was using it for,eventually got rid of that mower,had a few others,that were even worse pul;ling it up the hill so then it pretty much sat for a long time. When I got my first cub a few years ago I started using it again. Once I put the ags on the back, it'll pull it pretty good,even loaded up,I decided to repaint ashortly aftyer I got my 104,Took it completely apart,stripped it down wirewheeles,everything. lol I did use rust-oleum,brushed it on,but it came out real nice,doesnt look like a crappy brush on job,took about a month or so before I was done. Since it sits outside I decided to go with all stainless steel hardware on it, Its a pretty good lil trailer,It still lookes pretty good ,its got its normal scuffs & scratches on it , the bed is pretty wavey kinda like a old pickup truck thats been used to haul stuff,throwin logs around but its holdin up. I probably could have bought a brand new one,lil heaver built at tractor supply for a lil more then I had in it redoin it but that would have takin the fun outta it. The ss hardware cost a small fortune,but money well spent since it sits outside,I cant stand painting somthing then a few weeks later sittin outside you get rust spots around the bolts,grrrr, I'm sure glad I didnt sell it a few years ago when I didnt have a tractor. lol

Harry: They'll always read higher right after you take 'em off a charger, float or otherwise. If it's reading close to 12 volts <u>under load </u>(cranking the S/G), I'd say it's OK. I'd get a voltmeter and start checking voltages at the starter and coil to make sure they're both seeing the same 12 volts as at the battery....

Is it normal for the gear at the front of the differential which is driven by the hydro to be loose enough on the pinion shaft to wobble maybe 1/16 inch? This is my first Cub which is a 1250 I'm trying to build from a pile of parts and I don't have much info on their previous condition other than what I can see. I have two rear differentials and the gear wobbles on both so I guess it is normal but it sure seems excessive to me. Thanks, David T.
247938.jpg

ALLAN, FRANK - One thing DAD taught me decades ago... never mess around with little carts, trucks, etc. Go RIGHT for the big stuff. Hense, 3/4 ton truck when I'd driven 1/2 T's for 20 yrs, and instead of the el-cheapo Menards 10 CF dump cart Dad gave me 30 yrs ago that you can bend the steel on the box just by looking cross-eyed at it... I stumbled onto one of THESE, http://mail.solexcorp.com/productfiles/pronovost/503.html

I'd been kicking around the idea of building something similar, but I wouldn't have built it NEAR as nice, and I'd have had more money is the steel & wheels/tires than I paid for this one. It was "slightly used", think all it ever hauled was a couple bales of horse hay. I use the heck out of mine, it has 6" tall side boards on frt & sides, and I load it right up with dirt & rock. The aux remote on the 982 dumps a full load at idle. I wish it was a couple inches wider, or that one of my loaders had a hyd. dump bucket instead of both having trip buckets, then I could load it MUCH easier. I stored it under the deck covered with a tarp the first winter I had it, and from now on it winters INSIDE. Took half the summer to get the floor shined up again so it would empty out properly when I dumped it. This summer I pulled it around with the old #70 hauling mulch, tree prunings, etc. Worked fine except I couldn't dump it.

I still use the old Menard's trailer, for the lawn vac & spraying. It's not worth the shed space so it winter's outside.

Dennis....Thats a nice lookin trailer that you p0osted the link too. I'm sure theres not a guy in here that wouldnt love to have one of them. Only problem,for somone like me,what if you gotta go up small hills and you dont own a supercub! lol I'm sure my 104 would pull that thing around with a decent load on flat ground that is,dont think it would fit through the gate in the backyard. I often thought about building a nice trailer someday with some kinda hydro lift or electric. But it would have to be a lil smaller. It is a nice peice of equipment I must say

JONATHAN - I have had two loads of dirt that I have had trouble dumping with that cart. I had the whole cart heaped up over two feet above the side boards, and filled to the very top of the sides & front. I normally pull the cart off the Cat 0 to sleeve hitch adapter so I can raise the cart a little more for complete dumping, so it's hooked farther back than normal, and the frt tires on the 982 get off the ground when it's loaded like that when I climb hills or pull the cart through ruts or over humps. On a normal CC hooked to the drawbar you shouldn't have a problem. When I trim trees I pile the trimmings up 2-3 feet above the sides and let them hang out off the back and the old #70 idles around the yard with it no problem. But I imagine if I loaded up a heaped load of firewood I'd have to be careful how steep a slope I tried to go up, more due to traction than pulling power. The cart actually puts a good bit of weight on the hitch of the tractor for better traction for pulling it. My old Menard's cart the box is actually set back from perfectly balanced over the axle so it dumps with little or no effort when loaded, so it takes weight OFF the tractor, just what you don't want!

Think the spec's say that P503 is 54 inches wide, just a bit wider than the 982. But I grew up pulling 8 ft wide hay racks & 7 ft wide wagons through some pretty tight places with 6 ft wide tractors so I'm used to pulling wide loads. I don't have any fences so no gates, but I'm used to driving my full size Farmall's around my yard, so even a 982 with the cart seems small in comparison. I just wish I could afford to get a bigger, 10,000-12,000# dump trailer. I could keep busy for a month or so with it.

To any and all...how would one go about getting around this situation? It's a perfectly good coil.

247991.jpg

You can see the proper threads at the bottom. The funny thing here is I had it installed and didn't discover the stripped threads until I went to install the wire (yep, real funny).

Wayne I might try wrapping the wire around it with a little solder on it..or I once saw a PO mod where he wrapped it around a few times and put some silocon on it

Hauled some yard waste into the neighbor's woods just before dusk last night using the (OT) Scag ZTR 'cause with the narrow trail (high ground with ditch on one side and dropoff on the other), it's easier to jack the big trailer around than with the 129... Dumped the stuff and decided to run the rest of the way back to see if any more EHD victimes in the area (already got one doe carcass about 100 yards bck on my side of the drain). Didn't find deer, did find two hunters in tree stands. Shut the Scag off to explain to one of them that he was on posted property (he's not from the area and the adjascent landowner lets people hunt but doesn't seem to care on who's property). Starting to get dark, went to start Scag - sounded like bad battery, starter spinning, not engaging. Walked the 1/8th mile back to my place, got a starter pack, walked back - still no go. Getting darker - guys had taken their tree stands down, came over and offered to help, I told 'em, I could get it - one of them had a four point to track.. Walked the 1/8th mile back to my place again and got out the 129 and jumper cables- thank God for those big Chevy headlights I've got in the grill, 'cause by this time it was DARK. Drove back, hooked jumpers up and still no go - starter or solenoid must be toast. Hmmmmm - I'm by myself after dark - well, I'll make a train... Unhooked the trailer, hooked the 129 to the Scag to drag it around in a circle and remembered the dump valves had to be open to tow it. Tried to use my 25 year old Uncle Buck's smallest blade in the hole on the dump valve nut, broke the blade..Drove the 129 the 1/8th mile back to my place to get wrenches, did remember to tow the trailer - so no train. Went back, released the dump valves, dragged the Scag (BTW - it's a "Tiger CUB" )around in a circle in a wide spot in the trail and headed back the 1/8th mile towards home. My Iphone goes off - text from daughter wondering why I'm late to Halloween party by two hours. Tell her "On my way-have beer and food ready!!!". Dragged the Scag into the barn, hooked the 1000 watt booster/charger to it, still no go. Hope I don't have to pull the motor to get the starter off.

Moral of the story - all homes need at least one IHC Cub Cadet in running order at all times!!!!

greenthumb.gif
247994.jpg

Wrap a short peice of stranded wure around it and solder it, either solder or crimp a male plug connector onto the wire and a female end on the wire supplying it. The coil can handle heat very well the heat from a soldering iron shouldn't harm it at all.

Wayne.. Wrap it and epoxy it (hey, hey hey - time for JB Weld!!!)
1AA_dance2.gif

I'd also do it with a short pigtail with a plug connector on it, so you can take it apart.. You really should solder it , but the epoxy over the wrapped connection would work,too..

Wayne,

I'd run a die over it, even if you had to go undersize.

Wayne Shytle
If that coil was mine I would just get one of the extra long nuts and put a washer on the stud .Then you could just add another bolt for the coil wire .
old.gif

Thanks guys-

Norm, I'd do the die thing but don't have one that small. I guess I'll do the soldering with a pigtail. I can't remember if it's the + or - and if it's the - I guess I'll need two pigtails.

One more electrical question...will 14 ga wire be ok for the points wire? I have 12 ga but it's red and too large to go through the points cover grommet.

Gerry-

You seem to have the same problem I have this time of year...poachers. That's what I call anyone that hunts on posted property. They know better and that's what makes them poachers in my book. I have even gone to the extent to get on my big tractor and take a run at daybreak and dusk through the woods. Just last week I found a tree stand that had been there so long the tree had started growing around it. People know that nothing will happen to them in this day and time as far as the law goes so....

Sorry Charlie for the OT stuff.

Wayne talking about poachers reminded me of a story of living on the family farm. We always kept a lookout for "poachers" and would run them off whenever they showed up. One day I did just that and they informed me that they did have permission to hunt there, from my neighbor. Evidently Dad had sold the farm about a week earlier and neglected to tell me. Made me look like an idiot!

Wayne - I like Dave S's idea.. look for a push on connector..

These guys were shown where to hunt by a neighbor who's a d..k.. They were not told where the boundaries are and this neighbor at one point thought the land was his - we're talking like 8 acres..The guy who owns it (my next door neighbor Mike), actually had to get a plat map and prove it to him - and he was still arguing until Mike double padlocked all the tree stands and promised to call both the law and DNR.. I've always had the run of the whole 11 acres - that's where the wood in my profile pic came from. Lots of area that only the 129 could handle - the paths are pretty rough and some good enough grades that the traction the 129 has is the only thing that'd pull big trailer loads out (couldn't get his full size Alis CA in some of the trails..).

Latest posts

Back