• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again guys...it's already soldered and it was the negative post so I soldered a double pigtail with female terminals. I'll have to customize a condenser now as well as the points wire. I'm not familiar with a "bullet connector" but that's nothing new. Maybe a pic???

Speaking of the points wire, will 14ga work as I asked about earlier?

Gerry: Now that you've got us all to look at your profile pic - how'd you get that top block of wood up there?
coffee.gif
happy.gif

Frank - with will and determination - and a little bit of stupidity, since my back isn't all that great, although I was a youngster when that picture was taken (4-5years ago??). I actually got it up on the tailgate and then stepped it up there. That trailer has now got new springs and tires on it... BTW -that's smoke from the furnace, not the Husqvarna...

Wayne, 14 gage wire will be fine. 14ga is rated at 15amps, power is drawn only when the points are closed, which I think is only a small percentage of the engine cycle.

Wayne: Bullet Connectors are neat. My 1978 MGB used them throughout the wiring harness. They function a lot like quick disconnects (spade terminals), but they are round, which has advantages in many applications; they're also a bit more compact than the standard spade connectors. You can usually get them at Advance or NAPA, although the NAPA units are much better quality. Also, they come in at least two different sized "bullets" with accommodation for different gauges of wire.

So, for instance, I try to stock eight different parts in four different sets; large bullet Male & Female 16-22 AWG (Red), large bullet Male & Female 12-14 AWG (Blue); small bullet 16-22 AWG (Red), small bullet 12-14 AWG (Blue).

The small bullet 12-14 AWG (Blue) is the most common size, depicted below, and a "Motor Cyle" version following it. Some of the configurations I found on a web search get pretty wild; gold, solder connection, etc.

248017.jpg

248018.jpg

here's the barrel connectors that ford used on their cars for years
248022.jpg

or, a modular coil plug:
248023.jpg

You can find both in a salvage yard, or perhaps
NAPA sells them...

In the 70's Ford coils had'em (push-on connectors) from the factory. They can be had from any mustang restoration shop, if someone needs it in the future.

What kind of pin is used in the driveshaft at the coupler on the engine. Mine is a #149, has a solid pin which wants to work its way out. I just made a (a cousin is a machinst) new coupler and drive shaft. I used a 1/4 in. hardened pin and 1/4 in. hole in the shaft. is this a friction fit? should it be a roll pin? Thanks for the help.

Tom it is a solid pin and should be a press in and press out type of fit, never use a roll pin it will break them.

Latest posts

Back