• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 31, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I wish I could find some of this stuff. There really isnt a whole lot of cub stuff round here, just alot of Green Stuff.
bash.gif

Well that is a very unique peice. Ive seen the originals and gas engines but never one on the other.

Charlie, some possibilities:
1: "Hey, I can really mash them mole hills down, now.."
2: "Hey, I can make tea at the same time I cruise the fairgrounds"
3: "Wait'll I sneak up on Fred and poke him with the spark plug..
4: "Once I get the front brakes on, I'll really be able to do those stoppies"
5: "It'll only take a little bit of cutting on the tin..."
6: "Maybe I'll be able to pass it off as the "original" Cub prototype"
7: "The way this thing vibrates, I'll never get Myrtle off it.."
8: "Paint it green and they'll think it's an '08 J..n D...e"
9: "Where do ya put the coffee beans?"
10:" A little rattle can yellow and it'll pass as a '58 Cub..."
clown.gif

That is nice.
I've got a '22 Novo Junior and been tempted to put it on something, but I agree, the rest of the chassis has to fit the part too. It's tough finding a useful role for a hit or miss, other than entertainment (and ya gotta admit, it's hard not to smile when they're running..).
It's also good for bringing back good memories.. Every time I start mine, it brings back an episode of about 15 years ago when after trying to start it all day, I called my dad who had recently moved about a 100 miles away, and he talked me through tuning a Model T buzz coil on the phone.. ( I was 45 and he was in his 70's....)

BTW - I see it was tea time for Chris..

Wow, I see my tractor pictured.
happy.gif

Yes, I built the frame from scratch with various sizes of angle iron. Yep, it would have been a lot easier to use an existing tractor frame, but I wanted a challenge and wanted to make something that could look old. The other parts where from people selling bits and pieces on ebay. I didn't harm any cubs in its construction. It has a fully functioning hydraulic cub style lift in the back.

The front axle is from a Case garden tractor.
The rear wheels are from a JD plow.
The rear transaxle is a peerless 4 speed from a Gilson tractor.
The steering wheel is a new Ford tractor wheel.
The steering tie rods and drag link is from an Alice Chalmers garden tractor.
The steering box and shaft is from a JD (same as cubs). The hydraulic ram and controls are from a cub.
The gas "tank" below the mixer is a carb bowl from an McCormick Deering 15-45 (or bigger), so I can climb hills and maintain the proper mix at all times. The rear tank was a scrap McCormick Deering 10-20 tank that I repaired.

I have used it to plow, disk, grade (dirt, snow, gravel), etc.

It has a surprising amount of power as the engine has 17.5 ft/lb of torque so it feels like it has 10hp of power. The engine is a throttle governed 2hp dishpan Fairbanks Morse Z. I've put in new bearings, reringed it, put in a new intake valve, put in a new governor bracket and had the magneto rebuilt. I am not afraid to use it hard, which I do on many occasions.

The frame has never bent even though I have bend and snapped (unintentionally) tillage equipment while busting roots and such. I would like to run it in a tractor pull to see how well it would do.

It is a fun tractor to use and drive.
happy.gif

Chris- I like the proportions, seat placement, rear wheels, everything. It'd be tough to fab a set of spoke fronts, but if ya could, it'd pass for an all original.. I spent a few hours a couple of years ago making a pair of dolly style to match a pair baggage cart wheels - steel, no rubber, for the Novo - what a pita..
And to keep this legal - I'm on track for Cub number two this weekend..I guess if this goes through, I'll move from being a user to a collector.. 129 will get a bigger brother 149 (finally get hydraulics !!)
bouncy.gif

Latest posts

Back