• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 10, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwilke

displayname
Ryan D Wilke
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:14 am:

....the most cleaning My tractors get is blowing off with compressed air after every mowing. I may wipe them down with Brake-Klean and a rag while I'm working on them.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Dennis F.,
I have adopted a similar routine as well now for cleaning my Cubs. The only difference is I just use fuel oil in a hand spray bottle & a rag for grease cutting and rust prevention. (I realize that the dust will hang onto the fuel oil, whereas it won't hang on the Brake-Kleen since there isn't any residual film left on the surfaces. But I can live with that...)
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Mr.Plow, thanks for the info on the pilot bearing service, it was very insightful and will come in very handy in the near future.

Thanks guys,After reading the above I tried using my leaf blower with the small tube and it definitly cleaned my cub up, it even blowed some of the old grease off it,

Picked up a 73 today,it is all there in original condition,man is it pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!! and only $100 wich makes it BEUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! The s/g was locked up though so it didn't come home today.I freed it up with some wrench juice but I think it's burnt up in the winding cause it wouldn't excite when I hit it with 12v. Anybody know if this can be fixed or should I just put my spare on it and replace the spare?????? Thanx H.cole

Hi fellas,I'm glad that soon I can get back to 3 cub restorations I've had to put on hold for the last 3 years. Got my 1st Carpal Tunnel operation and in 6 weeks the left. I just hate the guilt having the engines just sitting there after rebuilding a few years ago so get ready for the questions soon on 70's,124's and 108 or what ever it becomes.

When rebuilding engines, I use baby oil to wipe down parts and clean them. I do this mainly so I can bring it into the basement in the winter for rebuilding, but baby oil must be better for you than fuel oil or brake cleaner.

Hey everyone I got the PTO all squared away on the 71!!! Thanks a bunch for all the help you guys are great!!!

Now, a little work on the 106 before the creeper drive comes from Chris Westfall. I may get in trouble for this but Chris has been running his cub parts site reliably & responsibly for maybe a little over a month now. Great guy to work with!

I have a .pdf file for my 106 but it’s damaged & can not print it. Might anyone out there have either a paper version for sale OR an electric version you may send me at: [email protected]? I need the ins & outs with servicing the steering & rear end thanks so much!

Hello. could someone post a picture of a 129 so
i know what is white . Thanks Don Tanner

can anybody tell me if a cub k321 crankshaft is the same as a cub k301 crankshaft?thanks rick

Charlie-
Thanks for posting a picture of my old 72!!! Man I sure miss that thing!
56457.jpg

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Chris Busch (Cbusch) on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:16 pm:

When rebuilding engines, I use baby oil to wipe down parts and clean them. I do this mainly so I can bring it into the basement in the winter for rebuilding, but baby oil must be better for you than fuel oil or brake cleaner.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Chris B.,
That's a good point and you're likely correct.
Although not likely to be as inexpensive as fuel oil, I'm sure the baby oil odor isn't as strong as fuel oil!

Baby oil is typically comprised of white mineral oil + <5% fragrance.
Read more here: http://www.cumberlandswan.com/boil.pdf

For info on mineral oil, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Though I use baby oil for drilling and wiping engine parts and such, I always wondered if the fragrance changed the pH of mineral oil. I don't think it does, since I have never seen anything rusty from it. But if one used grape seed oil for example, the oil has fatty acids in it and hence could cause corrosion.

Btw, baby oil works great for drilling. If it smokes, the smoke doesn't smell bad and it comes in handy containers to squirt where you are drilling! (I have a drill press in the basement too and anything stinky is a big no-no.)

Hey guys, I hooked up my 42" tiller today and did a lot o tillin. One thing I noticed was when the tines were really digging deep the clutch on my PTO would slip and I would need to raise the tiller a litte. Is this supposed to happen?

Zach,
My tiller belt dosen't slip, even on hard the hard clay dirt around here. You probably need to tighten up the belt at the mule drive.
I have the best luck on my tiller when I set the long belt tight and the short belt looser.
This way when something jumps into the tines and freezes them up, it's the short (cheaper) belt that squeels.
I'd much rather replace that one than the long (expensive) one.

If it's the clutch that's slipping rather than the belt you may need to check it for proper adjustment. The procedure is in the service manual for your tractor.

Hey, my uncle said a local guy came in his machine shop yesterday and asked if he was interested in a mid-sixties model cub that came from the factory with a Briggs motor and a belt drive rear like a 110 john deere....I don't know of one if there is....am I wrong? He also said the tractor was a almost completely white from the factory. Thanks in advance for any help you might give on the subject.

Latest posts

Back