• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 07, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug the tiller out of the storage shed, installed it and then found a hole in the bottom of the gear and chain box. So I blew some air in the hole to check for mouse debris and a whole lot of rust dust came out... This no.1 tiller turns really good and is very quiet. No bad bearings and definitely no grease in it. Looks like I have to take it apart and weld the hole up with whatever else I find in there. Is there a gasket kit for this or am I making my own? The gardens couldn't wait so I turned it upside down filled it with grease and went ahead and tilled the gardens with it with no problems. So I am ready to tear it apart. I hope this is cheaper than finding another one.

Oh and thanks for posting pics on the inside of a tiller. I know what its supposed to look like now.

Keith O.
Your on your own with the gasket thing.
uhoh.gif

Harry I have had them apart and not found a master link and none is listed in the parts lookup.High torque can make the spring clips come out.
dunno.gif

Keith O - you could check with Dave Calkins on the gasket. I know he made his own up. Rather than taking it apart you might be better off just filling it up with grease thru the hole you have and then covering the hole somehow. I know the more Dave tore his apart the more he discovered wrong. If yours is basically quiet then your bearings and fla ges must still be good and the chains must still be ok. The rust dust you got out probably came from the inside walls of the case and is easily covered with grease. If you check with Dave Calkins I'll bet he will recommend against taking the case apart unless you absolutely have to.

Mike - Ill check with Dave but I'm pretty certain it used master links to begin with.

to all that has a tiller ,or wants one ,be carfull of the good deals ,this tiller came with a 124 with creeper gear box and had hyd with it as well ,and a very hard life ,all the bearin gs had to be cut apart ,as they were froze in place .two gears were vere bad so i replaces them with the six bearings and a had to machine the main tiller shaft ,and build up the shaft on top for the pulley ,the pulley was bad as well .another $35.00 for it and need to make new upper arms .the gasket i made ,some one had did a repair on this before ,and not very well the chain was bad and took out the bottom of the case ,so that had to be dealt with .and it has a zerk in the case now right on the lower case ,in one of the manuals it shows a zerk fitting ,,so now now it has one ,i have about $200.00 in the tiller ,thats what i do fix things ,the right way ,so w/o out a lathe and torch set and welder ,you may not want to try this ,and being a machinist for over 40 years may help .some one up hear will be happy with this tractor ,but it will cost ,David

I should have known I'd have to make my own gaskets. Thanks Harry for the good advice. I'm going to put a quart of 80/90 in it and a tube of grease then weld a patch on it for now. I can always take it apart later when it breaks. As the saying goes
<u>Don't fix it if it ain't broke...</u>

Mowed for 4.5 hours with the 73 today...I decided to have the K181 overhauled last winter and it purred just as expected all afternoon. After some precision fiddling over the last few weeks, I finally got the 38" stamped deck set up perfectly and with a new set of blades and a set of gauge wheels it now mows beautifully...

Thanks, John Boelens, for providing the opportunity to buy this deck out from under your 800 earlier this spring ... I'm in business now
happy.gif

OK guys...Got a question about my 122. The ground clutch went out today, which I knew was gonna happen. Here is the real problem, the bottom front part of the pedestal has broke on both sides. Short of replacing the whole pedestal , has anyone got any suggestions or ideas on how to replace or repair that section? It is the section that the release lever hooks to. Thanks in advance to all.

Back