• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 13, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgallagher

displayname
Timothy S. Gallagher
Ok, I'm sure this has been talked about here before...

I have an 86 and I was wondering how these engines stand up to long durations of running on a left to right angle?

I.E. mowing around the sloped banks of a pond or as I see picures of here moldboard plowing.

Brent,

I'll try to validate what you are seeing. The picture in the FAQ is correct buts stops short of exactness. The main caption says sleeve hitch adapter but fails to say that it is comprised of the parts painted BLACK. The other confusing factor is that it talks about 2 different u-shaped pieces and the one that is part of the 3 point ("the yellow U-shaped piece (between the drawbar and trans cover)" is not obviously u-shaped in the picture. Of course, neither is the u-shaped Black piece obviously u-shaped.

The bottom line is that the yellow casting, the yellow u-shaped piece bolted to the rearend, and the lift rod to the lift handle/cylinder comprise "the cub 3 point". The Black u-shaped adapter with a sleeve and the lift links connecting up to the end of the cub 3 point comprise the "sleeve hitch adapter to the cub 3 point lift"

One final note, Kraig's diagram would be more correct if the words "sleeve hitch" in the upper section were deleted or the bold horizontal dividing line did not jog under the words but instead was drawn straight across above the words.

Once you get one hooked up and plowing you will forget ever being confused.

Brent L:

1) A hitch requiring a sleeve is on the implement (plow, for instance).

2) An adaptor containing a sleeve is required to attach the implement to the tractor. A pin is then inserted into the plow hitch through the sleeve.

3) Some sleeve hitches are used on fixed drawbars with the hole in the drawbar being the "sleeve".

4) At International Harvester, Cub Cadet (and other mfr's) incorporated a lift into their tractors, to which you must install a sleeve(d) hitch adaptor so you can use your sleeve hitch plow.

5) Brinly-Hardy is a most well know maker of hitch adaptors with sleeves.

6) The illustration Kraig posted originally came from a MTD publication and that upper label of "sleeve hitch" should not be there. At the time MTD was apparently using local college students to edit those pubs. These so called editors obviously didn't know anything about a tractor, much less know anything about implements or accessories. They just mislabeled it. And not being Ag folks, the CCC/MTD gurus didn't either, so it went to print that way.

7) Check TC-113,157 & 193 and for most Cub Cadet models you will find a correct description of the IH 3-point. There is NO mention of sleeve hitch. You need that 3-point lift hitch for a tiller but NO sleeve hitch adaptor is used.....
3-points are just 3-points. Plain & simple.

7) Maybe we can pursuade Kraig to edit that graphic to remove the misleading labeling. You will notice that at the very top and the very bottom the labels are inserted using a totally different font showing the correct labels.

8) Below is shown a front of a Brinly brochure which accurately depicts a Sleeve Hitch.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom
53216.jpg

Not to step on anyones toes but this is how I rember the difference.
3-point = the part that is bolted onto the tractor.
Sleeve hitch = the part that attached to the tractor via pins.

Terry, Myron, Jim, and Lonny:

Thanks for the detailed explanations. I understand now. Basically, this validates what I had originally thought. And what I had originally seen advertised (and purchased) was indeed mislabeled. I needed another 3-point anyway, just wasn't expecting it. I appreciate all the help and hope that this information will also help newbees like me to become better informed. So now I'm off to hunt for a sleeve hitch adapter to go on one of my 3 points (did I saw that correctly? lol)...

Brent
thumbsup.gif

Brent F: Yep, you got it right...Many forum members go to great lengths to help others get a better understanding of our hobby/addiction....You'll get your turn as you gain knowledge and experience.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Here's an improved version of that Cub Cadet 3 Point vs Brinly Sleeve Hitch Adapter I posted yesterday. Many, many years ago I added the smaller descriptive text and lines pointing to the various parts. Yesterday I added the divider line and the larger text. I should have deleted the original incorrect labels yesterday when I was adding the divider line but I was in a hurry, sorry for all the confusion.
happy.gif

53246.jpg

Thanks Kraig, that clears it up perfectly for me.

Terry: A great idea to make my own - however my welding skills leave a bit to be desired (meaning that if I don't burn down the garage, I'm doing well!) and to farm it out to somebody would probably cost more then what I can buy a used one for. Great job on yours though!

Whoops I noticed one other detail that should be fixed with this version.

53248.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with making a bolt together version if you'd like to enjoy your attachment now.Use straight bar and angled steel. The straps can just be drilled. I thought it out but my buddy found before we could make it. If you do, my personal opinion is to use 1/4 inch steel, 2 inch wide, same applies for angled steel, and grade 5 or 8 hardware. That's another thought. I personally use grade 8 hardware on everything. 1/4, 20 shroud bolt goes missing, replace it with grade 8, I stocked up couple weeks ago and bought over $40 woth of grade 8 hard ware. Hmmm, where did I see something about a bar tire... maybe I have a grade 8....

Hey Kraig...lets modify the 3-pt & sleeve hitch graphic one more time.

Myron B
53254.jpg

Not to be picky Myron...

But shouldn't the new graphic then say "Used to attach sleeve hitch attachment to garden tractor with cub cadet 3 point hitch" rather then "Used to attach sleeve hitch attachment to garden tractor with sleeve hitch"

The way the graphic is currently stated, it sounds like the accessory is used to attach an implement (like a plow) to a garden tractor that has a sleeve hitch already on it. This is where I was confused in the first place! Confused again...lol

Brent

Jeff B., here is a 48" deck that Brian Jordan modified with front wheels. The 42" deck is quite similar to the 48" deck so a setup like this might work for you.

53259.jpg

53260.jpg

Jeff - Rollers work good too. My 42" kept dozing off high spots. I used existing holes for the mounts.
53269.jpg

53270.jpg

Hey I started up the ol 127 yesterday ... 11 year old battery and still going ... must have a bunny in it.

Latest posts

Back