• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 27, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbextermueller

displayname
Nic Bextermueller
As for the Gas Octane comments:

I tried a little experiment with my 128 with a 12hp on the other day.

Usually I run cheap 87 octane in it cause it's well, cheap(er). I mow nearly 2 acres of grass in about 2 hours with it. I mow in first gear just enjoying the ride, not quite at full throttle. I usually run through nearly a whole tank or sometimes just a bit past more.

I put 93 in the other day (I ran the tank dry the mow before) to see what would happen. I did the same mowing again. It ran much smoother and I only used just past a half a tank of gas.

I'm not sure why, but it clearly likes premium better.

As for race fuels in pullers. It's always been my opinion that high octane fuel (100+) is only needed if your going to use high compression, 11.5:1 or higher and alot of timing with it. like 28degrees or more. If your not messing with those ranges, then your only hurting yourself using Sunoco 112 octane cause it smells good.

Don motors running 9:1 with 25d isn't much more than your run of the mill chevy 350. Running 93 at those setting is not needed.

Just as a note, try running 93 octane in a 12.5:1 compression, 32 degrees advanced, big custom cam, 4500+ rpm air cooled puller and see what happens. even forged pistons vaporize in 300ft...

Sorry for the long post. but I thought I'd trow in my 2cents.

Anyone got any tricks for modifying a Cub hydro for pulling? I have seen some pretty strong hydros before but no one has ever divulged any info on the mods to them. I know a hydro is not the perfect pulling tractor. I have been pulling for over 25years but I was thinking of making some people scratch their heads when they see a hydro pulling. This would be for a stock class with a 4,000rpm limit and 14hp engine limit. 800-950lbs classes. So not terribly heavy on the tractor. I want any and all input. I have machining capabilities so that part is not above me doing. I just need to know where to start. Which tractors had the best hydro for this? I have a 107. Are there any advantages for any particular model or year hydro tranny/pump? Again, any help would be appreciated. I watched an Allis Chalmers 14hp hydro nearly win a class like this on a tough sticky track this past weekend and it really got me thinking. It was one of the few tractors that did not choke out on the tough track and only lost by just a couple of feet. Thanks.

Greg I have only pulled a sled once and that was with a hydro. Seemed to pull as well as the gear drives, the ground speed seemed easier to work on the fly than the gears. I do really abuse my 1250 pulling trucks around the yard, boat and flat bed trailers, applicator trailers, skidding logs, pushing snow ect and it has held up very well, new hytrans every fall is all it ever gets. Never had a problem with over heating or breakage, not even a sprirol pin. I'm sure its worth a try.

so im new to pulling and have a good idea for a 10 horse stock class. i am looking to put a 10 horse single cylinder, air cooled deisel into a CCO providing that i can find one. i think the added torque will be a real good advantage. any thoughts?

Kevin-
When you put a 10hp into an Original, be prepared to think about how you're going to make the hood fit, because it won't without making some "shims" for the grill shell and pedestal. <font size="-2">(Unless you want to start cutting things up.)</font> Also think about what you're going to do with the fuel tank because a stock 10hp fuel tank won't fit under the hood either. <font size="-2">...more cutting.</font>

Finally, make sure your 10hp has a FLAT oil pan (not all did) and be ready to drill a hold in the frame for the oil drain plug to protude through.

Drop me an email if you need any other help/thoughts.....

<font size="-2">(been there done that...)</font>

well i am hoping to get it all to fit without cutting it all up. i am aware that new holes heed to be drilled. but it might not be a CCO. i am also looking for a john deere rf. which ever tractor comes first is what im going to make into a puller.

can anyone tell me if balance gears can be removed from a 16 hp. kohler engine without any bad effects. motor has been rebuilt .crank turned ten under new piston ten over new rod . still have knock. wunder if bearings in balance gears could be the cause.any help would be appreciated.

i was told they can. the 16 horse kohlers are going to shake with or with out them

CECIL - Check the end play in Your camshaft while Your in there pulling the Gernade Gears. It's been discussed here before that the camshaft sliding forward & back has caused a slight knocking sound also.

yeah, there was a knock in my fresh 12hp. I ended up only needing another .005 shim on my cam. Then it was purring like a kitten.

Greg E.,

I've given this some thought (using a hydro trans for pulling) and here's how I would proceed. After complete disassembly and check for worn/broken parts, I'd start by smoothing out and deburring all internal passages. Radius all sharp corners in these fluid flow galleries. Polish both swashplate surfaces to a mirror finish, along with the matching contact shoes on the pistons. Be sure pistons are a nice fit in all the bores (almost a line-to-line fit). Use the wide charge pump that's fitted to the external hydraulic-equipped transmissions. I think I'd stick with Hytran as the working fluid as the viscosity is low and lubricity is high (ideal). Once back together and operating, experiment with increasing the relief valve blow-off pressure with shims under the springs.

The hydro will never be quite as efficient as a gear drive, but it can be made to approach that efficiency by careful prepping and assembly. And the little extra power you might loose can be made up for with a few tweaks on the engine.

In theory, the hydro should be ideal for a puller due to the infinite gear ratios possible. This allows you to keep the engine at its peak power rpm as the sled resistance increases. I encourage you to build one up, try it, and let us know how it works.

Here's some Pulling Pics from this past summer.
My son Andrew and his cousin with Andrew's 1st place trophy.
69765.jpg

Here's the start of a 1st place pull by my nephew
69766.jpg

Myself and my nephew with the trophies this 122 won this day.
69767.jpg

Myself on my 122 at a different pull a couple weeks later.
69768.jpg

Great pics! I'm still getting used to seeing the pulling on asphalt.

It's just weird to me. Glad to see those Cubbies are pulling hard.

NIC - First L&G tractor pull I ever saw was on CONCRETE. Pretty disgusting affair actually. 300# Guy with a brand new tractor called a "140" pulled against a bunch of 8 to 16 yr olds with ALL manner of Cub Cadets....and the weight classes were "Tractor Only" Guess who won? Oh well....His Pull, His Sled, His Rules!

I thought i would add a picture. We have about 10 pulls in southwestern Ontario.This is my 8 year old pulling with his stock 104.
70060.jpg

This is our first year pulling.We got a first,two seconds,and a third. We seem to do better on the hard clay tracks and not so good on the stone dust tracks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
70063.jpg

Garden tractor pulling is relatively new in southwestern Ontario. It is growing every year. We have 650,750,950,1150,open stock classes,HP doesn't matter as long as its a briggs or kohler. Then we have 750,950,1150,open modified classes wich are mostly street bike or snowmobile engines mounted into a garden tractor chassis.We are allowed a 16" hitch height.
70066.jpg

Latest posts

Back