• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 19, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis F - I agree. The parts prices seem to go up.

That's funny, you mention 18 years about a 72. Well, I got my 72 in '96 non-running and still to this day, non-running!

I'll tell ya. I'm having a time figuring what to do about removing the left rear axel carrier. I remember quite well we had this discussion a short while ago. Today when I went to tighten up the carrier cap screws, 15 minuets later I noticed a faint yellow fluid coming up from between the carrier and case.

I have no doubt now, That I got to replace this gasket. My problem is that the carrier seems to be really stuck to the case and gasket. I'm too afraid to start with hammer and block since I never had to replace such gasket before.

Would you have any tips I could use to help to remove the stuck carriers? I now have the carrier taped up with blue painter's tape so I don't foul up the sealer primer.

I almost had a fit today. I got my new gasket for the case and reduction housing. That gasket seems to be "special thin" , so I figured I better order the correct gasket for the job. I cleaned up the mating surfaces, applied a thin amount of Permatex High Tack #98H Gasket Sealant to the case and laid down the new gasket.

Next I applied another thin amount of gasket sealant to the top of the new gasket, and respectably the reduction housing area. I did manage to stay away from the outsides of the surfaces so the sealant did not squeeze out too much and cause me a mess. Torqued down two cap screws with copper sealing washers, and two cap screws inside the reduction housing, all in a criss - cross pattern as to tighten down evenly 80 ft. pounds.

After that it's when it hit me. I could not install the brake disk, and thought "Oh Boy", a real fine mess I'm in now! Got to looking in the GSS-1398 manual and came to believe I could install the brake disk if I removed the brake retainer. I removed that, and I was able to install the brake disk. Now I'm waiting on a O-ring.

Installed the bevel to bearing, washer, and cap screw torqued to 55 ft pounds at the moment, and that's where I'm at now. Oh, don't worrie the 72 will come to life soon! I just about got everything worked out, and looks really, really good on paper!!!

Edit: " bevel to bearing, Flywheel, washer, and cap screw with loc washer". would be the correct sequence.

Dawid, welcome back!
wave.gif

Back