• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 20, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kehrecke

displayname
Keith Ehrecke
Spent some time Friday night working on the next version of the old 129+. It's getting pretty close to being complete as a 1659. I need to finish up the wiring, tweak a few things and then put it into service as my backup mower. I'm really counting on the sub-frame taking some of the shake out of the old girl.

Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's out there in Cub land. I hope that you have a great day.

Ryan:
Nice IH. I'd supercharge it and put boat headers out the hood. Tub it and plant some M/T's out back with a 4-link.

Weaver:
The other IH V-8 was a 345, not a 348, by the way.

KWeaver etal: Recently, when I got my 1972 IH 1210 pickup (Cub Cadet hauler), it truly rode like a buckboard... b-u-t... as soon as I put some decent shocks on it, it now rides s-m-o-o-t-h... I must say that the Heavy Duty 3/4 ton springs IH used (read 1-ton over at the bowtie & blueoval places) will talk to you inf'n you get on a chughole road without a load though...:)-}....
Myron B

Hee hee... I had a '64 Scout 80 RHD with HALF a 304... that was a cool motor to look at, but it wasn't gonna win any races drivin' Dana 60's at both ends and three gears spaced about 3 city blocks apart... :-}

Dunno why, but I always ran into guys that thought my AMC 304 was same as an IH 304, and that the AMC 360 was same as a Ford 360, and the AMC390 / Ford390 (FAR from true, and tire-tracks to prove it!).

But don't think anyone ever doubted that the IH 152 was from a different mold than the Chevy 153. (at least the IH motor had a crossflow head!)

19694.jpg

Some comments this morning before I get into Cub stuff. I for one think the moderators do a good job on this site. We are given enough latitude to talk about OT items that I don't feel like I'm being censored. I don't remember anyone being chastised for answering someone’s OT question or directing them to another Forum that may have information for them.

I appreciate the No Politics requirement, and the stopping of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd posts on every new page so I don't have to read through that junk before I can get to Cub related topics.

Now back to Cub stuff. Thanks to everyone for the comments on the mower deck. I guess this 38 deck will be a test mod and I will let you know the outcome good or bad.

Steve B. I will leave the discharge baffle off for now. I am concerned about discharge due to the fact that I closed off the left side so everything has to go to the right and there may a bunch up on the left side. I have always used the discharge baffles on the 44A and 50A and C decks but then the moisture content here in the desert is always 0, probably not like what you see there.

Kenny M. You may want to wait until I test this 38 deck before you install the baffles on yours, you may want to make your own. As heavy duty as these decks are I was surprised that the blades didn't line up end to end. I'm a stickler on that point. There was quite a combination of washers so I removed everything and went back to what the stock washer setup was and still the blades didn't match. Then I tore the spindles down and cleaned up everything. Working on 44 and 50 inch decks I have found that rust can get in between metal surfaces and change dimensions. Rust is strong and on the 44 decks I find that between the mounting plate and the deck skin the rust and dirt warps the metal, probably due to the fact that the deck is constantly flexing. Anyway after I cleaned up everything the center blade was still off about a 1/8 inch, then I put a straight edge on the deck skin and saw it was bent up in the center, used a BFH and straightened it out and then all the blades lined up.

Ken W. Now you got me thinking about the grass being bent over by the baffles and weather it will cut okay. It seems to work on the 44 and 50 deck but then they have 3 large blades and I am more worried about the two small blades.

(Message edited by RChristensen on June 20, 2004)

Greetings all, new guy here.
I have a 124 I restored last winter with a 48" mower deck baffles gone and a 125 hydro that has a 42" deck with the baffles still in tact. I have noticed that when mowing tall (10" or so) weeds the 42" deck leaves some weeds still able to stand where as the 48" deck rarley ever does. Do I dare replace the missing baffles? Not at this point.

David D. -

Since your question seemed to have gotten lost...

Just paint it with whatever you painted the rest of the tractor with (assuming you didn't use latex
lol.gif
). <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> didn't use anything special, so you shouldn't have to either.

Certain K-161's that don't have fins next to the exhaust port will burn the paint in that area, but they did that from the factory, too, so consider it "correct."

Ken Weaver-

Thanks for that advice. I certainly don't want to burn my exhaust valve. But I don't quite understand what you mean by "put something in the hole"--you mean something like a washer,or something else? What did you have in mind? I plan to make it about 24" long and not cut it any shorter after I install it.

Ryan,

Nice IH truck. I have had several of them first truck was a 66 1/2 ton but never drovi it it needed two much work, ended up buying a nice 69 D serries 3/4 ton, and drove it for awhile, but wanted a 4X4, and ended up buying a real nice basicly rust free 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive 100 out of PA and bought a 74 4X4 100 rust bucket, and a nice original 74 200 2 wheel drive 60K original mile farm truck, with a 392 IH V8 and combined all 3 and had a real nice 74 1/2 ton 100 4x4 wit the 392 that would out work any alternitive brand truck. I had it painted and realy enjoyd it then it caught on fire on me on the way to Plow Day 3, I ended up fixing it but not driving it much after that and sold it, but it was a nice truck. I will try to post some pics of it somtime.

Hope to see a lot of you next week in IA at Red Power.

Matt G.

I think Ken meant to not just leave the exhaust come out of the tapped hole in the block. Screw in some length of pipe so you dont burn the exhaust valve after warping it on a fast cool down after you shut down. Ken, correct me if I am wrong.

JimE

Hey Everybody!

For those of you that're going to RPRU in Mt. Pleasant, Nick and I will be trolling the grounds on Friday- if you see us, 'cmon over and introduce yourselves, so we an meet'ya. I won't have a CC with me (I'm in DC again, won't have time to load anything up), but Tom said that if Nick gets antsy for a ride, I might be able to drive Miss Daisy... flag me down and say Hi!

Richard/Donny- I've not tried any of my CC cast-end decks, but have found that decks and baffling WILL 'lean over' tall grass and weeds, allowing them to pass uncut. I've found that my Dixon ZTR's 30" single-blade deck doesn't have that problem much, and I'm guessing it's simply because there's so much swept area beneath the deck (by that one big blade) that anything that's pushed-over by the front lip has plenty of time to get sucked back up into the fury as I'm passing over. I doubt that pulling out the baffles will help catch the lean-overs, but if it does, the deck-plugging will become much more of an annoyance.

I've been considering a special type of mowing deck that doesn't use a rotary or sickle blade concepts, but since the development is still early, prototype isn't finished, and patents aren't applied-for, I won't discuss it... but I guarantee tall ones won't get away...

what is the largest HP engine I can put in a 1000 ? I think I burned up my engine when I had a oil leak. Now I can't turn it over with the spark plug out...Is it dead? Are there any short cuts to an engine replacement?

thanks,
Dave

Getting ready for the 4th of July party at my sons house. Have found yet another great use for the 1450, "artillery tractor". the Cub handles the job quit well. Will try to attach several pictures. Ed
19708.jpg

Nice cannon Ed
thumbsup.gif
, I lived in Merriam a few years, I know your nieghbors love it!
swear.gif
err.gif

Very nice 1450!

lurking.gif
wave.gif

David G. You can drop anything from a 10HP all the way to a 16HP in the 1000. If it were me, I jam in a 16Hp. If it were me.
19714.gif

David G:
Jeff is right, you can "drop-in" replace your K241 with anything up to the K341 16hp Kohler. As bad as the 16's shake, though, I'd move to a 12 or 14. My $.02.

What, specifically, are you asking when you refer to "... any shorcuts to an engine replacement"? Are you asking how to NOT have to change out the engine OR are you asking how to go about doing the job?

Help us help you.
Thanks,
Keith

Anthoer new guy here,
I am restoring a 1450, my first one, and would like any tips that you have to offer. Any do's and don'ts or make sure you fix this or straighten that kinda things. I am also rebuilding the engine, so add anything for that as well.

thanks

David G: My experience is that if you do the Kirk Iso-Bar modification then even the 16 will be OK. I've got a 1650 that proves it.
Myron B

Richard,

The 38" and 42" decks were never supposed to discharge out of the left side...only the right like the 44/50 decks. What I think happened, is that the PO lost the bolt on end piece that closes up the LH side.

Don't worry about closing it back up, just don't restrict the main discharge on the right and go giv'er heck.

As you drive forward the "air tunnel" should allow plenty of time/space for the gras to right itself and be sucked back up.

I hear you on the un-square blades too......you are taking the same aproach I do.....MAKE IT RIGHT....in the end it always shows!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back