• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 11, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith E., I think you're correct in that working on a wideframe is easier than working on a narrowframe, but - due to recent experience with several Quiet Lines, I think I'd rather work on a narrowframe than a QL. With the QL, there's too much stuff to take off before you get to anything that matters!

Operating 'em, now, that's a little different story...

Charlie-
Other than about 5 minutes of a sprinkle and wind, we didn't get a thing.

Went to the grocery store (okay, the long way) and found a collector of a differnt breed of garden tractor . . . . Folks that went to the Little G show with his 400 with a commercially produced loader & backhoe. At least there's one person that doesn't think I'm crocked when I plow the yard and hot rod my Kohler!

Art

Thanks for the picture. William DeTurck e-mailed me the whole manual. I will look at the Pump with the pictures tomorrow. Looks like I have everything except the belt.

Best buy I have gotten at an auction in a while.

I got a Lo-Boy 184 question or two. Know it is slightly off topic but would love to converse via e-mails with anybody that is familiar with the Lo-Boys, especially on the clutch area. Started rebuilding my 184 today and have several questions. Smallest pistions I have ever seen on such an engine. Look like chain-saw pistons. Have to buy a smaller ridge reamer and smaller hone. My regular stuff will not fit those tiny holes.

Rod bearing listings say the rod number is important, but you first have to be able to read it.

Hope the exsting rod bearings are the correct ones.

Matt - you gonna rebuild that 86 or part it out?
devil2.gif
I just got one for myself.

Guess I should say hi! Many thanks to Bryan for his help getting in here!

Live in Naperville, IL. CC 86 is my first CC and probably not my last.

I thought I'd be able to do a good job restoring her and putting her to work, but after seeing the work some of you guys have done, all I can do is hang my head...
buttrock.gif
Definite inspiration looking at some of your machines.

My 86 will be used as a working tractor for a few years until I can get my hands on another one.

Rick

Nate -- they should fit 'casue I stuffed 10.5's on 7.5 rims. It's hard to get the second bead in with the stiffness of the 4ply.

Paul D -- I mowed my front yard last saturday , monday , friday , (3x's in a week!) and raked grass like crazy ... so much for new MTD mulching blades ... I need Gators! Plenty of seat time ... and a lot of gas!!

Rick M -- You're wrong about getting anymore than one cub. Nobody on here wants more than one ... yeah right !!
Watch out for that yeller - n - white fever !

Bryan -- how ya like bein' "nekked" ?

Bruce -- man did you got off to a wrong start ! You're suppose to marry a woman that has matching Cub Cadet colors in her plans from the begining. Good luck to ya ...

Steve @ CC -- your "second" new hobby has ruined a many a mans first hobby ! First you get rid of your cubs , then youre drinkin buddies , then your hot rods then they'll want you to change underwear twice a month !! Watch out !

Boy I'm glad I got married in the 70's before all the New Rules went into effect
happy.gif

Rick-

I'm not going to part it, I'll fix it up, but I am going to part the 128 that came with it.

Digger:

The pic's take you to some very interesting places.

What is sad is that some fool will bid and send money and then wonder why he got ripped off.

The site does not even have pic's of the same cub. Looks like all are Q/l except for a N/F in the lower left.

Frank -- I doubt that anyone in the UK would ever notice. They aren't to bright over there. From past experience with one individual anyway ... I've been waiting 5 years for one guy to send an International Money Order. He emailed me 5 times asking how I wanted paid , 5 times I replied to do it with an IMO. At least I have 6 brass Massey Harris hood latches and he doesn't
happy.gif

Ken:
Then they got to the feed back and post a negative.

Now we know why we had to bail them out in WWII. LOL.

That is why none of my cub items on e-bay are for internation consumption. Don't want the hassel.

Got a shock today when I went to the local parts store(yes they are open o SUnday) to order parts for my lo boy 184.

Rod bearings $12.85 ea, mains (3) $65 , gasket set $85. Hope they are right as none of the books even have the 184 listed. Only the 154 and 185.

Hard to believe that the rod journals are the same diameter as the Kohler in a real cub.

Ken W. -

It's not too bad - my PC passes all of the Shields UP! tests and I'm fully patched...

Would I wanna stay this way? Nope
wink.gif

Damn if it's not coming a down pour right now ! Like a cow piffing on a flat rock !

It's so humid it's hard to walk out here to da shack from the house, kinda like wading through molasses!

Frank -- they all use the same C-60 engine don't they ?

Ken W. -

If I'm not mistaken, they all used the C-60, but the engine kept getting tweaked as time went on.

As you say, too humid to even walk over to the bookshelf and look it up to be sure.

Well my 154-184-185 TC-131 doesn't distinquish one from another. I guess the tweaking for more power came in other areas but the bearings stayed the same size. Wait til Frank bores it out for those big 'ol blower pistons
happy.gif

Bryan that's not humidity , that's lazyness ! Take it from someone that knows
roflol.gif

A few days ago there was a question on how to stop breaking grass screens. I can't say this would solve it 100%, but the parts catalog I have lists a serrated lock washer rather than a simple split lockwasher.
19528.jpg

Made a little more progress today. Prepared the transmission for a larger gear in the front of the transaxle. I'm using 3 plowing gears, so the 26t lower gear is out, BUT there's not room for much of a larger gear. Pullers are probably familiar with this but I didn't really want to spend a lot of time with a die grinder hogging out the front of the housing. I found that if I took the handle and guard off my 4-1/2" grinder, flipped the stone upside-down, I can get it inside to do the work. Comes out nice with about 5 minutes work.
19530.jpg

19531.jpg

Wyatt,
I used a flat washer last year to help support the screen. Evidently it did not help like I hoped it would. Hopefully I will have the 149 running in a couple weeks so if it happens again, I can just switch tractors and keep on mowing. I just need to get the engine back from getting it's valve job and rebuild the PTO clutch. I should get the front gauge wheels put on it's 50" deck and of course the smaller drive pulley. Then it will get the newly sharpened Gator blades I took off the 129.

Ken:

The pistons are so small I had to get a different ridge reamer and hone. None of my stuff would fit. My boring bar has a bigger main shaft than the diameter of the C-60 pistons.

Ken, has anybody tried boring a regular kohler rod out to use insert style bearings? Looks like the C-60's would work since the crank journal is the same diameter.

I may try and build a jig for my bridgeport and see if I can find a cutter that is the correct diameter. If I cannot find a cutter that is the correct size, I do have a friend that has a die making shop who could make me a cutter.

Would be nice to have rods with better bearing surfaces.

Latest posts

Back