• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 02, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the seals will be installed according to the drawing, as i think....bass-ackward...open side out......pics will be coming.....

I'm all for lubrication, but 3 pumps after EVERY mowing is unnecessary IMHO. Most ag applications are never shorter than 10 hour intervals......that translates to every 5 to 8 mowing for most Cub Cadet users.

I hit mine about once a month......more won't hurt, but it might not help either....just wasted grease
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

3 pumps every mowing is not only unnecessary, its not good for the bearings. Too much grease is just as bad as too little sometimes.

I learned that along time ago at a bearing seminar

From the manual for the 38", 42" and 48" mower decks:

297081.jpg

Mike C
Here is one I just took apart today. It goes pulley, washer, upside down seal, spacer, bearing,
split washer, bearing, upside down seal and spacer.
I have had about 30 of these apart and only encountered a few with the top seal the wrong way.
This is the first one thought that the cup and spindle shaft separated.This one has a bad keyway so....

297089.jpg

297090.jpg

297091.jpg

297092.jpg

thanx for the pics Lewis...i just got to that point tonight with two of my spindles....got the spacer where it belongs...
297103.jpg

got the cone pressed in...
297104.jpg

then i found this....redneck engineering...i've done my share but c'mon...a piece of pipe for the cone spacer inside the spindle.....nothing a call to ccs can't fix...
297105.jpg

We are rapidly losing those of "The Greatest Generation"......
If you still have a relative that was there, tell them "thank you" on this anniversary of D-Day ....

297108.jpg

297111.jpg

my spacers all mic about .367 and on the pulley end, that is still enough to get above the seal and provide a surface for the washer. But on the cup end(bottom) the spacer sits below the surface by about .025-.030, and the spindle cup runs on the spindle housing not the spacer. some of the spacers don't have a radiused outside edge almost as if they were surface ground at some point. Seems like they should be .500 or something more than .375. I might get 7 more. why 7?....I posted a pic of one of my cone spacers(internal) and it looks like a po made something to fit from a piece of galvanized pipe at some point so if I get 1 extra, I have access to a surface grinder and will make one up and cut the opening at the same time.

Hi guys,

I got the mower deck attached to my 129 and the engine didn't want to start. Finally took the mower drive belt off the PTO and then the engine started no problem. I rebuilt the engine and PTO this winter and I'm usually pretty good about following instructions so I think I got everything put back together and adjusted on the PTO properly. Any hints? The PTO clutch is a bit mystifying to me. Should the PTO spin freely on the shaft with the engine off? I replaced the PTO shaft bearing also. Any help would be appreciated.

Adam

FAQ #7

http://cubfaq.com/mechanical_pto.html

The PTO drive pulley should spin freely when the PTO center button is pressed in and lock up to the crank when the button is not pushed in.

If the PTO is locked up to the crank when trying to start, the SG will likely not spin engine fast enough to start.

Jim

Back