• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 29, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denny, yes I did notice that, the one farther back, with the lighter blue looks more correct IMO. Though BOTH sets are not quite correct, in color or text placement. The "CUB CADET" should be at the front of the hood as in the brochure photo I posted below. And the script "Hydrostatic" should be at the rear of the hood. I bet they were placed on the wrong side of the hood..... or perhaps Steve H. liked them better that way which is fine, they are his Cubs.
happy.gif
I sure want to see more of his modified "Utility" Cub I sure do like the idea of a Cub Cadet based "Utility" and have plans rolling around in my head for one of my own. Pops is going to try to get me more photos of that one.
thumbsup.gif
Sure hope he's successful!
bouncy.gif

KRAIG - Yep the lighter blue is correct. My Buddy made that same "OPPS" when He restored His Allis Chalmers 210....The decals were over $300 and He put them on backwards like that.
bash.gif

If I screw up the ones on the 72 the dealer actually has a second set! The new decal sets only have the dash decal, the hood side decals, and the headlight panel anymore.

Kraig, its an H-Pattern on the floor... R-1-2-3... clutch/brake

Brian E., does it look like the photo I posted below? If so then it's most likely a model 124. If you do not have a manual for the Kohler engine click HERE and you can download a free PDF file version of the Kohler Owner's Manual. It has info on adjusting the carb and other important stuff to keep it running properly. And as guys check in here over the next day or so they will hopefully see your post on the issues you are having and will post suggestions. There are guys that visit here that are far more experienced in diagnosing engine problems then I am.
happy.gif

Yep,
I'm a master at diagnosing engine problems.

It either runs or it don't.
biggrin.gif

I'll add to that statement above.
If it vibrates and you hear a noise, it runs.
If you can hear your wife hollering at ya to come fix the drain, it's broke and you just as well go fix it.

Brian E.-

Your carb is set too lean most likely. The white smoke is probably coming from the thermal isolation gasket between the carb and the engine. When they get old or weakened by high heat, they get porous and soak up gas if you flood it on a hot start, and the smoke is caused by this getting heated out. Also, if that gasket is real old or missing, you might actually be boiling the fuel in the float bowl. This could actually cause an induction fire during a hot start. (I've had this happen) Adjust your carb back to spec and maybe replace that gasket and you should be fine.

@Kraig: thats pretty spot on... cept it looks alot nicer and there isnt a 250 lb fat guy steering the beast ;)... that and i have nicer front tires!

i did find the manual link in the secondary FAQ thread... and i also found the owners manual for the same engine by scouring the Kohler website... boy 137 pages took forever to print on the company photo copier but now i have a hard copy
happy.gif

could it really just be a carb adjustment? i mean, its running hot! then again the grass filter thing could be clogged... my next time up to the camp in gunna take the air compressor to the fins and grates to clean it up a bit...

Ive never done much in the the way of engine work, although im being told this would be one darn simple engine to take apart, clean and fix up... its a bit overwhelming... I do have a friend that is well versed in model-t engines and offered a hand in fixing/rebuilding the motor, so i may not be completely alone

all things aside im sure it could use a good cleaning id just hate to crack the thing open and have it not work at all after that

i might also add we are running LEADED gas

Brian,
The sheet metal surrounding the engine are a good source for problems on the ole Cubs. The fins plug up with tiny grass blades and do nasty things.

Brian E.-

Too lean will make it run hot, but also clean the flywheel screen and the cooling fins. Air-cooled engines need good airflow around the cooling fins. And why the leaded gas? 100LL I assume, that's the only leaded gas that I know still exists in this country.

Latest posts

Back