• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 19, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpatterson

displayname
Mike Patterson
MAN!!!!!
bash.gif

Harry,
You needed to add the wooden shim because the chains were hitting or the cab was shoving the fenders down more into the tires? Where's Art when you need him??
Art,
IF you did your cab yourself, did you have it in pieces and assembled it on the tractor piece by piece or you just set it on it completely assembled? Did you find it hard to line things up to make it sit square on the tractor so the doors closed right and the front window pivot freely?

Here are a couple more pics of what I have so far:

The two bolts that hold the fenders to the frame are pretty much between the slotted holes and the two round holes, so would need to drill cab out to use same holes into the frame. This is the part I think would be best to put the wooden wedge into so it sits on the wedge instead of fender pan. This way I could tighten the wedge into the fender surface between wheels flat and tight??
299817.jpg

None of the 4 bolts in the floor boards from the cab line up, so new ones need to be drilled.
299818.jpg

You can also sort of see how the cab doesn't sit on the fenders themselves, only in the center over the frame. I didn't get any "fenders" with my cab so I have to manufacture them.
299819.jpg

Attachments

• 299819.jpg
    299819.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 299818.jpg
    299818.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 140
  • 299817.jpg
    299817.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 142
  • bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 133
  • 299817.jpg
    299817.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 299818.jpg
    299818.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 146
  • 299819.jpg
    299819.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 151
Mike Patterson

In the last picture down it looks like there is a windshield wiper mounted ??? on the back ??? or my eyes are fooling me.

Nope, wiper on the front of cab. What you are looking at is the coiled black wire that used to go to the magnetic blue beacon on the roof. Cut it off because the magnets were gone from it and well, I really don't need a blue beacon in my yard. The way people drive around here, I am NOT on the road when the cars and trucks are coming. I run like a scared rabbit!

Now if the tractor could produce enough power to run the 2nd wiper motor, there is a nice 3/4" or so hole through the cab for it to be mounted in.

Harry, this motor runs so clean, even now with a bad head gasket! I took it (the head) apart once a year after we put it in and never saw the need.

This one has the original plug from the original motor as well! Other than cleaning/adjusting the points.. and cleaning the emulsion tube in the carb.. it's been a real workhorse and sips fuel.

SO other than oil and battery changes.. it's been cheap to own.

Mike
I have the cab on my 1512 and I have yet to close both doors. My doors are soft and are held with a zipper . I find blowing snow I only close up the left side down to my knee. The diesel makes to much heat when working blowing snow. sitting in a cab sure makes moving snow a lot more fun to do.

Mike F - ok, taking it apart once a year to check, I can understand why gasket blew. That's alot of loos'nin' and torque'n and re-loos'nin' and re-torque'n.
bannana_guitar.gif
Keep up with the good maintenance.
(And what kind/brand of gas, and what brand and weight oil are you using - you're doing something right that is sure keeping it clean).

Attachments

• bannana_guitar.gif
    bannana_guitar.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 129
George L.
All you have to do to get the auger out is to remove the bearing on the opposite side of the gear drive.
Just unbolt the flange and the bearing may be a little tough to get off the shaft, but PB Blaster with solve that problem.
After you get that off, the auger will angle out so you can remove the other side.

No secret to the oil Harry.. Mobil 1 10/30. And I change it twice a year. Once before the mowing season.. and once before the winter "snow removal" season. Gas? just regular cheap stuff. I do add in a fuel conditioner so it won't spoil as fast. I also keep a 2 gallon can only.. again so it "moves faster"..

Speaking of oil.
When's the last time anyone saw this stuff!
biggrin.gif

299872.jpg

Attachments

• 299872.jpg
    299872.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 134
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 125
  • 299872.jpg
    299872.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 122
Charlie, your photo is the first I have ever seen that stuff. How old is that?

Kraig,

The Command Engine was introduced in 1987.

Is that about 20-25 years after your tractors were built?

Ken, 1987 would be about 19 years after my newest Cub Cadet.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 143
Kraig,

I found an API chart that lists SH as the standard for 1993-96. API now lists SH as "obsolete" for passenger cars. The current standard is SN.

Hey guys first time posting on here, need some help. I have a 147 ive been restoring its all back together now but I put my spring assist on last night how does it hook to the bar underneath the tractor with the arm all the way forward or all the way back towards me any help would be great thanks

Sam S.
299887.jpg

299888.jpg

Attachments

• 299888.jpg
    299888.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 299887.jpg
    299887.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 299887.jpg
    299887.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 299888.jpg
    299888.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 138
Thanks Charlie when I attach it to my lift bracket can the lift arm be in any position?

Sam C, I believe you would want the lift in the up position, arm pulled back. That way you would be putting tension on the spring when you lowered the lift.

Back