• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 24, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
Earl,

Imagine your throttle cable had unlimited travel....what would keep the little speed control arm it hooks to from allowing the engine to overspeed????....The throttle stop. If you loosen the bolt that holds it slightly, it can be rotated to limit the control arm's travel to provide a "throttle stop" at the correct max RPM's then retightened to maintain that limit.

In your case you don;t have unlimited throttle cable travel....in fact it's not enough travel, because your throttle cable assembly is still limiting RPM's to under 3600. Like I said below, slide the cable back another 1/8", set the throttle at 3650 no load, then rotate the throttle stop to hold it there.

Once no load RPM is set (assuming the governor has been set up correctly, per manual, and the governor spring is in the correct holes on the governor arm and the speed control arm) the governor will automatically maintain engine RPM to the throttle setting (up to max no load) under any/all load conditions.

Notice how when the engine is at WOT no load, the carb throttle plate is only open about 1/8 of the way? This is the governor working to limit the engine fuel supply and maintain max no load speed (choked down due to no load). With a deck or thrower on the throttle shaft will be almost wide open...lots of load needs more fuel/air to maintain max speed. When overloaded, the governor opens the carb 100% and max fuel/air is delivered to engine, but load exceeds engine capability and the RPM's drop...eventualy until it dies, or you unload it and the governor regains throttling control.

This is very different when compared to a car engine (ungoverned, but electronically rev limited for safety), as car engines are not meant to run at constant speed all day like equipment engines......your foot on the pedal is the governor (or even better the cruise control).

310408.jpg

Just a reminder October is almost over. Charlie, any snow yet!?

Attachments

• 310408.jpg
    310408.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 127
  • 310408.jpg
    310408.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 117
Mike P -
Agreed,,, Earl's 100
thumbsup.gif

Definitely the best "LooKin" model,,,
popcorn.gif

I'd Love to keep 149 workin, and do a full blown 100 restoration, one of these decades,,,
happy.gif

Attachments

• popcorn.gif
    popcorn.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 119
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 115
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 122
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 117
  • popcorn.gif
    popcorn.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 122
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
I agree Jason--there is something about those 100's that just touches the heart of the average CC owner and earl's is no exception!

We plowed out at my uncle's on Saturday-- a small group of guys maybe 10 or so tractors and the Mule was hands down the favorite plowing GT...I'm on lunch break but I'll forward a pic of Caleb on it to Kraig. If he gets a chance, he can put it up here...

Jason,

I started out with a 129 repowered to 14hp and added hyd. lift (149)....then restored a 100 with all the options..... Sold it to a buddy who still has it.....

I grew up on a 100 and still have a special place for them!!!!

310431.jpg

Attachments

• 310431.jpg
    310431.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 310431.jpg
    310431.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 159
Big Steve's 100, dragging the garden with an old section of IH spring tooth harrow and your's truly as ballast (+/-1979)!!!

310433.jpg

Still have everything on the farm, 100, harrow, Big Steve and I....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Attachments

• 310433.jpg
    310433.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 160
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 123
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 124
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 110
  • 310433.jpg
    310433.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 126
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 113
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
happy.gif

"Yours Truly"
roflol.gif

Boy ALL you guys got a big jump on me,,, growing up around "ON" these super cooL little tractors,,,,,
bash.gif

That's ok,,, I got the pedal down,
thumbsup.gif

Man THAT is a SWEET 100,,, Very NICE!!!!!
And I Almost forgot 2 mention, other than Retaining all that IH down through the years, More Importantly you still have the guy in that pic,,,
thumbsup.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 119
  • roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 126
  • bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 111
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 116
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 113
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
  • roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 116
  • bash.gif
    bash.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 116
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 108
  • thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 112
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
Steve--that is an all time classic photo of you and dad! Epic. I agree with Jason. Great IH heritage in the Blunier family but the individuals are what make your family so special! Can't wait to see you guys in just a few days...

greenthumb.gif

Attachments

• greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 136
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 129
Steve:
Thank you for taking the time to explain the workings of the throttle stop. I also want to thank you and everyone else for the comments that I received to help adjust my 129. My 129 was my brother's and when he passed away I took it home. I have had it for a number of years, but it has never run this good. The power and sound is better than it has ever been. Thank you all.
Steve, one more thought. Am I correct that if I did not use the cable stop and locked the cable at 3500 or 3600, the gov would be limited as to how much it could open the carb. (under load) because the cable would stop it. There by reducing the power when needed.
Earl L

Here's the photo Josh sent.

310437.jpg

Attachments

• 310437.jpg
    310437.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 310437.jpg
    310437.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 119
Earl,

NO problem.

On your other question.....not quite the right logic. The throttle stop or cable travel limit, either or, only control max no load speed (which is NOT wide open throttle). The governor operates the throttle plate and adjusts it to try and maintain 3600 rpm (if throttle is set there) under varying loads. It opens the throttle more with more load to maintain 3600, then closes it with less load to maintain 3600.

If you lock the throttle at 3600, the engine will always run at 3600 (think 8hp Briggs on portable generator). With variable throttle control (idle to 3600) on your tractor, you need to make sure that when the throttle is moved it will always return to the same MAX RPM, either with the stop or with the cable clamp setting.

Fire up your 129 tonight and watch the governor work while you move the throttle....then flick the governor linkage a few times at part throttle and see what happens........you will put a lot of the pieces together in the process.

Hey Caleb,

310440.jpg
greenthumb.gif

Attachments

• greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 310440.jpg
    310440.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 156
  • 310440.jpg
    310440.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 119
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 121
I was wondering if anyone here has a picture of a press to remove the spring off a driveshaft. I remember seeing them on <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> and a few other places but I've been looking for a while now and haven't had any luck. I thought I seen one on Matt G ' s cub site a while back but all it shows now is the one made out of all thread that you can use with it still on the tractor. I know somebody here has one or has at least a picture of it. I'm wanting to build 1 now I finally got a welder. thanks

Jonathan S.-

There is no requirement for the puller I made to be used on the tractor. it can be clamped in a vise to use it on the bench.

Steve,

Its kind of funny when I think about it as I was bouncing around in a lawn cart behind my grandpa's 70 as a 3 or 4 year old. Mowed nearly two acres a week with a 38" mower deck. Ended up cooking the motor in it and shoe horned a 10 hp in place of the 7.

Been gearing up all week for PD 10. Finally got around to the tail lights that I said I was going to fix a few years ago. The extra wiring is for the plow light which is fused and running off of a relay. Didn't want to cook any wiring.

310445.jpg

Attachments

• 310445.jpg
    310445.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 310445.jpg
    310445.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 120
That is awesome Brian! Can't wait to see you again! I have tail lights and LED plow lights for all three of my plow tractors now! Ready for night plowing...
icon_jam.gif

Attachments

• icon_jam.gif
    icon_jam.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 84
  • icon_jam.gif
    icon_jam.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 91
Steve-
Great picture. It was great talking to you at redpower. I think you need a current pic with the equipment and the same pose!!

Latest posts

Back