• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 18, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denny, your story of having to push your "POS 125cc Amerachi Harley Davidson" reminds me of this:

241747.jpg

sorry.gif

KRAIG - He-He... That's about the time I was pushing the old H-D.

TRUE story... the summer between my Jr & Senior year in HS, two guys rode from the Miss. River to the grand canyon on small H-D motorcycles. The one, had a 250 cc Sprint, 4-stroke single, American made, at the time only 5-10 yrs old. He got a FULL page article with pictures in the local weekly paper about his trip. It was planned to be a week, maybe ten days. With all his break-downs ended up being something like three weeks! He pushed or had it hauled almost as many miles as it ran. He had many un-planned stays with people along the way waiting on parts, etc.

Now the other guy, used a bike same as mine, 125 CC dirt bike, think it was a year newer model. He left at a different time, had to run back roads because the bike only ran 50-55 MPH flat out. The bike was physically smaller, so he couldn't even carry more than a change or two of clothes. No big article in the local paper, because he NEVER had a problem in almost 2000 miles of riding. Think his trip took something like ten days.

My one Buddy from HS had the same bike as mine, only 2 yrs older, the street version, low pipe, etc. That bike was BEAT to death by THREE brothers, and probably still runs today. Guess I just got a real Lemon.

Anyhow, thanks to an un-forcast 1-1/2 inches of rain Wednesday, PAUL R., WES H., & I are probably going to have to mow the lawn in the next week or so!

JEFF B. DAVE R. - How much rain did you guys get Wed?

Well I see Kraig and Denny made this off topic/casual Friday!
biggrin.gif

Famous last words for Denny!!!!!
Not to get too far Off topic

That actually makes me laugh every time he types that!
rofl.gif

I' on the trail of an 800 QL w/deck & mule. May go look at it this weekend. Owner says he has not been able to get it running, low compression. Also missing the air cleaner and most if not all of the air box tin and muffler;

How hard will it be to locate these parts? I under stand some of them (not sure what all) are peculiar to the 800. This would complete my collection of the QL series.

Dave Schwandt

Denny, got a decent light show, just a little rain here. 1/4 inch mabey, took all night to get it. I've about given up on the grass, going for prarie restoration now.
happy.gif

Casual Friday???? Charlie you feeling ok

Denny,,, We got about 3/8 inch and that was also all night.

It dosn't look to be enough increase my cub time

I ran across a guy trying to sell me a 104 that runs and is all intack with deck for $200 but I am not a NF guy if some one wants info on it email me.

Now on topic, Tom here is a pic of the light switch on all my 1x8,9

241758.jpg

Dave,
Unfortunately, the 800 specific parts are near impossible to find and pricey if they are found. The air cleaner, muffler, starter, and the aluminum shield that bolts to motor where the muffler box attaches are 800 specific. The actual muffler box is the same as the other quietlines. Good luck, keep us posted, and of course, post some pics if ya get it!

Dave S those 800 are hard to come by, Maybe Tom H will post about his

Dave,
Shane is correct. Most of all the engine compartment stuff is specific to the 800. A good part if not all of the drive line stuff is the same. I was lucky, mine was all intact and complete.

Jeff, Call/emial me with phone #.

Jeff B - owner of the finest series of IH Cubs, the 1x9.
If that pic of the light switch is the same on all your 1x9 units, then they are all installed incorrectly!!! It needs to be rotated 180 degrees. The pointy end of the raised section is supposed to be towards the top. (unless of course you have the 4 detent position switch and the lights are turned on in the pic you posted).
correct%20police.gif

By the way, are your switches the 2 position or 4 position types?

Tom, Got any pic's handy of what I need to look for?
Like what exactly is different about them?
You can send 'em to me direct, may be easier than sizing them for this site

The guy is going to call me this evening so we can talk about settin up for me to go see it.

Problem is, it's about 100 miles away

Dave S

Hello everyone. I went to the vault but may have missed the information. Does anyone put anytype of material on the tires to keep them from cracking. I have a 147 with tires starting to crack but they have good tread left. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Rodney

CHARLIE - At least I TRY to get something Cub Cadet related into each post now. There was a time when I didn't even try!

I will say one thing, I've NEVER pushed all my CC's combined as far as I pushed that one motorcycle.

Hydro Harry - A similar rotary light switch was used on ALL the letter series FARMALL's as the one Jeff B posted. They were all set so OFF was straight down, then you rotated the switch clockwise for low then High beam. There was even a decal marked "O", "D" "H" from the factory and also included in the decal kits for repaints.

I would think a rotary switch would be more durable, but the only tractor I've ever had with factory lights is the 982, and it's lights on position is the first RUN position of the ignition switch. All my other tractors I've used either push-pull or toggle switches.

RODNEY - Other than to complain about weather checking of tires we really have never discussed how to slow it down. I don't think you can effectively stop it.

A liquid plastic or rubber product like Armor-All or any other tire shine product should slow it down. The biggest cause of weather checking is sun light, followed closely by O-Zone. Keeping your tractor inside when not in use really helps, and keeping away from electric motors, arc welding, etc also helps.

Two of my Cub Cadets, the 44 yr old one and the 47 yr old one both have badly weather checked tires. In fact a year or two ago I ripped a hole in the sidewall of the rear tire on the 47 yr old tractor while grading some dirt, didn't puncture the inner tube. The thin nylon cords degrade once the cracks get deep enough to allow air & moisture to them.

Oil, grease, and spray chemicals like weed & bug killers are hard on rubber also.

Dennis, Thanks for the information. My cub stays inside a barn along with a '47 Willys Jeep and its tires also are showing their age. The barn is completely closed most of the time but it has a dirt/gravel floor. I just thought I had missed something and thought there might be something out there I havn't tried. Thanks.

Dennis - so it sounds like those were 3 position switches - O, D, H which I assume is Off, Dim, High. Most of mine have been the 2 position type on my CC units, just Off and On, but I've had at least one maybe two, that I swear were 4 position. I don't recall checking the wiring, but one of the 4 position switches had Off, Headlights only, Tail lights only, Both Head and Tail lights.

And for what it's worth, the pointy part of the knob still needs to point up (or slightly to the left) when in the off position, on a CC unit. Otherwise, IH would have put one of those decals on there below the switch, like you mentioned.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Rodney, what model Willys Jeep? Ever notice that the rear fenders on a 1x6/7 through the 82 series Cub Cadets look like CJ-5 front fenders?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig, it is a flat finder 1947 cj2a, I just use it on the farm for driving around and having fun - you can't tear it up. Now that you mention it the cc and the cj5's finders do look a lot alike.

Rodney,
Miller Tire sells a "303 Protectant" in a spray bottle that helps protect tires from UV and Ozone problems that cause the tires to check/crack. It is designed for tires on vehicles that sit a lot or are not in constant use, such as RV's, trailers, some Cub Cadets, tractors etc.I use it on trailer tires and most of my CC's........when I remember to use it

Hydro just when I thought I knew it all you teach me a new cub fact... but don't stop I want to learn more.
I will check the direction of the other knobs tomorrow.

They are all 2 position on/off switchs

Latest posts

Back