• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Hello from Central Texas

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several brands of Garden Tractors, I guess you could say I like all colors! But I'm new to Cub Cadets.
I'm sort of and all around mechanic and fair welder when its horizontal.
I built my own larger sand blast cabinet and like to do full blast, paint, no nut or bolt left unturned restorations.
I enjoy learning a lot on each different brand I do.
I've had an Cub Original on my Radar and a free one dropped in my lap last weekend.
I was at an Auto swap meet in Fredericksburg, Tx and saw a Cub on a trailer at the back of a vendors space.
While I was looking at it a guy said he bought it for the engine. I asked about the rest of it an he said free, less for his wife to see.
It didn't take me long to get the truck and load it up. It's a project, but at 60+ years old a lot of them are.
right side looking down 1.JPG

Interesting set of (I guess) homemade rear fenders. They are well built.
The Axle and front spindles were froze up, nothing a rose bud torch couldn't loosen.
So Its missing the, engine, but I have a K161 engine, oil bath air cleaner, and starter generator (its yellow need to figure out if it will work).
The frame is bent cracked. I would appreciate anyone pointing to me for frame repairs as I can see how this would be a weak spot.
IMG_9850[1].JPG

drive shaft at transmission 2.JPG

clutch assembly.JPG

Is this a standard clutch assembly. Seems like it has a few more parts than some pictures I've seen
IMG_9852[1].JPG

It has been repainted. Interesting green color under the top yellow paint. its a different green than a self etching primer.
serial number.JPG

Can someone decipher the numbers on the above (painted over) data plate or me?
I've done a basic disassembly cataloging pictures as I went.
Now working on learning more about it and what small parts might be missing and building a list of parts for refurbishment.
I have a Wheel Horse Suburban nut and bolt restoration almost ready to assemble, a Wheel Horse 953 up next, then hopefully this Cub.
I usually have a few tractors at the Tractor and Engine Show in Temple Tx, 1st weekend in October each year.
Thanks for having me in the group.

Looking in the Kohler K service manual the 6 digit serial number 975820 would be before they used the Alphabet, then started the 7 digit serial numbers.
Is there any way to date a 6 digit engine?

My tractor serial number is 9889. It has the "collared" front spindle's which I've read here stopped at 10,000. What did the do on the top of the spindles after 10,000 I found this Cub production chart which would indicate it was produced in June or July of 1961. If I'm reading all that correctly I'm very happy to have a first year, 1961 tractor.
Are there any other design features/parts that should be correct for a serial number below 10,000
tractor serial number 9889.JPG
1691433191092.png

right side looking down 1.JPG

Welcome Jim!
Wow, they don't give them away where I live! :yikes:Nice catch.
Looks like someone got carried away with some yellow paint. :errrr:
That green looks like Panzer green. Don't know why they did that.

That is the standard clutch assembly. That's also an odd place for the frame to break, they usually break where the flanges bolt to the reduction housing. Something quite extraordinary must have happened to bend it there.

Here's a photo of another clutch assembly, this one from my Original when I refurbished it back in 2008.

K4K Clutch_01.jpg

That is the standard clutch assembly. That's also an odd place for the frame to break, they usually break where the flanges bolt to the reduction housing. Something quite extraordinary must have happened to bend it there.

Here's a photo of another clutch assembly, this one from my Original when I refurbished it back in 2008.

View attachment 154982
Thank You for the reply and photo. I see you did the frame strengthening at the transmission I had read about. The picture helps understand what the standard repair is for that area.

Latest posts

Back