• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 14, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick, try reversing the belt. If it is an older belt that you have used previously it has taken a set and will derail easily if installed running the reverse direction. I learned this from a former forum member, David Schmidt. It saved me a bunch of frustration and money on replacing belts. Or it could also be a worn subframe causing the deck to nose dive causing misalignment of the deck pulley leading to derailing of the belt.

That's a good point Kraig. I even get a silver sharpie and mark the direction of belt travel eliminating having to think about it.

I have experienced belts coming off for no apparent reason in the past and think that was the reason in the first place.

I forgot to mention it has a new main belt going from pto to deck but i havent relpace the deck belt. The sub frame probably is a problem. I never thought it locked in properly, (not sure if it does, never seen a good picture of it close up) the quick release lever - Should those tabs be fully infront locking the whole mule drive in place? When lifting up on the quick release it sort of rest a little on top, a little in front.

Just flip the belt over per say? And see if that works?

Patrick, yep, flip the belt over. Once you have the belt reinstalled, look at it from the side and see if it lines up with the driven pulley (Sheave?) on the mower deck squarely and not at an angle. If it's at an angle then you have excessive wear on the sub-frame and it's time for a little welding and grinding. Could also be the QA mount as you mention. To eliminate that as the problem install bolts into the frame through the provided holes to hold it on more firmly.

The mule drive sheaves MUST be aligned with the deck pulley correctly. If one of them is tweaked or twisted a bit it will throw the belt.

When installing the 54"GT deck under my 782 I had to mix andmatch subframes and mule drives.....threw belts left and right until I saw that the return sheave was twisted and allowing the slack side to ride up and over the lip.......a quick tweak with the metric crescent wrench and all was well!

Jeremiah - I was hoping some people would be responding to your muffler question. I have a similar Quiet Style muffler on my 169 that has that 45degree bend - but I'm pretty certain it's a larger muffler than the size Charlie has. The same style was on my 169 when I got it, and when I couldn't find a new muffler Jim Steele in Tenn found the exact style I had at a dealer closing up. My engine had the nipple already installed rather than the S shaped pipe Kohler uses on 16hp. I'd recommend you start looking into what you can find for pipe fittings locally. Many times you can just get them made up. Your other question I believe was on the heat shield. I believe with the Quite style muffler you use a heat shield similar to the one used on a 169 but I'm not sure it's the same. There were some repo's being made for awhile out there, and maybe Charlie has them.

You should all know that the metric crescent wrench was specifically designed to remove muffler bearings on imported cars.......everyone should own such an important tool!

Do they make a left handed one? and it has to be black or white because I'm color blind...

Harry: I hope someone will chime in eventually. Perhaps Charlie knows how to wrestle a Noise Suppression muffler onto a machine that didn't ship with one.

As I mentioned earlier, the "Heat Baffle" for the OEM-style muffler, P/N KH-237679 on Tractors w/serial no. 438962 & above is depicted on Parts Lookup for the K321A:

board-post.pl

(I think the holes, from bottom to top, are the stud #7 in the tightening sequence, bolt #8, bolt #1, and stud #4 with the hole for the muffler screw at the top of the image.)

The Heat Baffle for an engine with the Noise Suppression muffler is listed under the same item#, but Parts Lookup tells me that it is No Longer Available (NLA)

I guess what I'm looking for is a picture of a tractor that came with the Noise Suppression muffler and that still has the original heat baffle on it, as well as the exhaust hipple.
Once I know what I'm looking for, I can go shopping.
smile.gif

Back