Archive through July 13, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim Chabot
Your probably right on the Quality control badge number on the hood, sounds reasonable.

Dave K
Congratulations on the new Daughter. Just don't blink or she will be grown up.

Steve B.
Glad your Dad got through the Tornado safely, isn't that the second one near his place this year? I feel bad for all the people that were in its path. Throughout my career I spent a lot of time at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City so I have seen a few Tornados up close and personal and I didn't really care for them.

Hey Dave, about time! Great news for rounding out a family. Hope Nick takes it well.

Bryan, the 123 has badging on the hood that says Hydrostatic as well as on the dash. Now lets not get into the zig and the zig zag debate. I hate to see Kraig cry... ;)

Kraig:

I don't have the number handy but it was an early one, below 482,000 cause it has the non-brake pto clutch on it. I had a pic of another one with "last one" on it emailed to me tonight. My guess was that it meant either last one for the day or shift or maybe last one till we get some more!!!

Kraig, I love that 123! Here it is approaching 30 year age and working great! Just one small problem. After I start it, it will run, maybe 10 or a several minutes and then suddenly quit! Happened 3 times today! Not asking for solutions, I just have to consult my tests I've saved on the computer. It's either the regulator, or the starter/generator or a short! Right???

(Message edited by jlang on July 14, 2004)

Those going to Little G-
Though I'm not going to be "showing" I'll still probably be going, anyone going that wants to get together to grill out, I'm a little more than 20 miles north of the show grounds (4 hours by Cub Cadet
happy.gif
). AND, if anyone happens to buy something they don't end up having room to get home I've got some inside storage space.

Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get a new wiring harness for a 782D is? The one I just bought has wires chopped apart, which isn't so bad, but the last owner cut the wires for the ignition , glo-plugs, and starter! So I don't know how he has it wired to warm up the glo-plugs, and how to turn on the ignition, AND how to the turn on the starter. It hasn't been ran in 2 years, and since I'm going to be needing a new harness anyhow, I figured I'd get one now and hook it up so I can start it prperly. Then I can go from there. I know my local dealer could probably get one, but I'd rather suppor people recomended by the forum first, and maybe even get a better deal. Believe me, this is just the first in MANY new parts I will be needing, but at this time, it's the most crutial.---Thanks for the help!

Hee hee... yep, she's a cutie, and since most every baby looks like a raisin for the first few weeks, she'll probably get quite a bit better. Lucky for her, she looks like her mommie.

Took Nick over to visit her, he ran fingers through her hair, and kissed her on the forehead (just like I kiss him). I think they'll be just fine!

Dave K1- Only thing that smokes around here... are the Kohlers... and I'll send 'ya one to light up, but be sure'n send it back when you're done gettin' all the smoke out of it! :-}

Bryan- thanks for the notes on the 71/3... I'm not too familiar with anything other'n my 109 and the 127/147s, so I'm still not in-the-know for all them others I haven't obtained yet. Someday... probably sooner than later...

Jim- Bryan's note re. 7hp... is that hydrostatic drives are noted for being a bit more lossy than gear drives due to the hydro's waste-heat. The nice thing about hydro, is that it's an infinately variable power transmission. It consists of a variable-displacement/variable direction pump plumbed directly to a hydraulic motor. A "swash plate" acts on pistons in a rotating spool (like cylinder on a revolver) with pistons... as you change the angle of the swash plate, it varies the direction (and in case of reverse) phasing of the pistons... hence, volume and direction. I've been told by an experienced fluid-power technican that the Sundstrand hydrostat used in our IHCCs is very closely related (if not the same) as hydrostats used for the right and left-side drives of some same-vintage and later skid-steer loaders. The same unit and it's siblings is apparently still available as new, but it's not too often that you'll see a new one for sale... even more rare, is finding a BAD one... Given a good clean supply of HyTrans, they just don't die.

Nathaniel-

Diesels don't have an Ignition circuit... it'll either have a fuel cutoff solenoid, or a fuel cutoff lever (one of the 782D guys will tell 'ya for sure which). On a warm day, with fuel cutoff 'open', you should be able to just hook a battery to the starter's big terminal, jump the solenoid coil wire, and get it to start.

Fuel cutoff is usually found on, or nearby the injection pump... if it's not ON it, it's hooked by a simple linkage. Typically there's two mechanical things hooked to an injection pump- the throttle control (which is usually linked to a 'swash plate' like the hydrostat!), and the other is the fuel cutoff, so you can shut the motor down.

As for glow-plugs, there's typically a timer-circuit... a time-delay relay... that activates the glow-plug circuit for 15-45 seconds or so.

Since it hasn't run in a few years, my personal plan would be to dump all the old fuel, any fuel strainers, separators, filters, etc., and clean it all out good, then re-fill it, change oil, and tryn' turn it over by hand to make sure there's no major problems.

For photos, video, and comments on the now rated F3+ tornado that hit Parsons Manufacturing near Roanoke, IL (very near Big Steve's home and PD site) click on the following link.

www.week.com

These are both taken from at least 4 miles away....

20341.jpg

20342.jpg

One more......I can see why it's rated F3+

20344.jpg

Scott R., did you ever get the regulator hooked up in your 70? I don't know if it will help or not but I found this in the archives.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Posted by Rich King on April 15th 2002:

As promised on Friday:

"Under the heading "it works, but. . ."

Picked up the new voltage regulator Saturday morning.

Kohler has changed the Voltage Regulator for the K-series to a solid state design. 41-403-06 replaces the old 237335, and Napa calls it a 7-016796 or a N-71696. The three terminals are spade type, not the ring-eye that IH used. No problem, new connectors in a couple of minutes.

Also, only the battery terminal is specific, the other two are simply marked (on the instruction sheet) "A.C." No field or gen indicators. Finally, the spacing of the mounting bolts is quite different, so unless you want to drill a new hold in your mounting bracket, you will be securing it it with one bolt.

The new design is probably more reliable (though non-servicable). And the looks are quite different. So, you make your choice.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

John L., could be the vent in the gas cap is plugged and the fuel stops flowing, could be the coil, could be the points, could be the condenser, could be the exhaust valve, could be........

Donnie, I believe to mount the electric PTO the engine block has to have some mounting bosses on it, but then I could be wrong, I only have the mechanical PTOs on my Cubs.

Shawn, this might help with your Original clutch issues.
20346.jpg

I was mowing with my 73 cub model 1000 the other day and the shifter came lose somewhere. It now swings freely back and forth 180 degrees. It still can be shifted, but is very awkward to do so. Any ideas what happened and what to do to fix this. I am new to fixing the old cub, so any help is thankful.

Thanks Kraig,
The reason for wanting to switch it to electric is to allow room for a hydrolic pump on the right side where the linkage to the clutch is now. I will look on the newer models to see how it mounts to the block. I also thought about adding it to the front like Nate Fisher's front end loader set-up shown in the forum on June 28th 2004. The only drawback is that it would have to be removed each time to mow.
dizzy.gif

Question from yesterday...are the hydraulic cylinders used for the blade angle still made new?
Dean

Latest posts

Back