• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 12, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towens

displayname
Cory Owens
Ken- yea I'm pretty sure theres no twist in it. I have tried 3 different belts and still no luck. I can get about 1/2 lap around my yard and it pops off. I've tightened and loosened multiple times and still nothing

Cory - Check the mule sheaves and make sure there's no wobble like a bad bearing. If there is no wobble make sure you didn't run into something and put one or both of them out of alignment. I guess you would have noticed if the main spindle had wobble from a bad bearing. The driven pulley isn't warped ... nothing else left.

A chunk out of the backside of the belt could maybe do it but I guess you've seen the belt enough by now to have spotted that.

No other ideas
dunno.gif

Ken- thanks for the help. I had the mule drive apart before and I checked all the bearings and everything is fine on the drive. Deck has good spindles, fresh grease and blades, new belts on the PTO and Deck. But I got the 128 for FREE. That could be why I got it for free the po gave up on it haha.

Gotta get this thing fixed its the only mower I've got that usable

Cory - Just to be sure , if I can splain dis in werdz ...

facing the mule drive on your knees with the belt on the deck pulley , palms out place your thumbs (if you have two) on the "V" of the belt keeping the "V" to the inside of the belt. Pull your hands to you to the mule drive then grasping the belt just make an upward break over of the belt. Go into the mule drive sheaves and place the belt hoop over the PTO. Never twisting the belt the "V" should remain to the inside at all times , no scratching yer nose either
err.gif

If that isn't the problem then you have yourself a puller not a mower.

Some things are just easier to do than say ... err type !

Ken- yea that's how it's on there. Well I guess I'm out of luck with it then. My dad grew up on a 122 so I'll have him check it out next time I see him. Until then Half of my yard is mowed and the other half isn't.

CORY - Are you using IH/MTD belts? I've tried to use other brand belts, Dayco, even Gates, and they are too stiff and won't make the twists & turns required of the mule drive belt. I burned up a brand new Dayco belt in about 15 seconds after I had to reinstall it about six times before the blades made a full revolution.

Pesky salesman for my local Motion Industries store kept badgering me that I should buy ALL my belts at work from him. So one Saturday I took the old mule drive belt off the 129/44A deck and went to get a new belt. I think MI's price was maybe $5 vs CC dealer's $20+. The next week on the salesman's normal rounds he pestered me again about belts and I let him have it! He NEVER mentioned belts to me again.

Dennis-- The belts came packaged in Cub Cadet packages. Everyone tells me there isn't supposed to be a "twist" in the belt but I can't get the belt to fit the way Ken said it should, it just twists on it own on the mule drive. I don't have anyone else around me that knows alot about these Ol' Cubs. I have tried to keep the belt straight but the belt doesn't bend to fit the way Ken said it should.

Hey guys...RE: Corys belt jumps off. Seems he got it from a PO. Is it possible some where along the line some one put the wrong mule drive on it ? Arn't there 2 types, one goes straight back and the other is at an angle ?? <font size="-2">Just from someone who doesn't know better.</font>

Allen- I'm pretty sure its the original mule drive as I bought it from the original PO. The deck however is not the original deck to the tractor. It had a 44" deck originally but it was rusted out and locked up. All I had to put on it was a 38" deck from my 73.

Cory ; the 44" deck was off set , the mule drive for the 44" deck....the pulleys are angled. For the 38" deck, the mule drive pulleys should be straight.

Corey-

I think Allen hit the nail on the head. The mule drive for a 44" has the angled pulley brackets and the 38" requires the straight.

Ok so I was wrong about the original deck size to the tractor didn't know you weren't supposed to measure the actual deck but the cutting width is what your supposed to measure right?. The mule drive that's on the tractor has the straight pulleys on it, they are not angled.

Hi, I am having a problem with my early 1980's Cub Cadet 782. I was using the mower deck the other day when it stopped working, i checked the switch and it is still good. This has never happened before, and I have owned it for about 15 years. Could the PTO be bad, or could it be something else?

Thanks, Jeff

Cory...since you have straight mule guides...if you look straight thru the tractor, is the deck pully straight behind also? If yes, I guess the puzzle isn't solved yet. <font size="-2">Side note, Kraig mentioned a while back that some belts take a 'set', ie: they only drive right when put back on the same direction they came off. Did you try flipping the belt over yet?</font>

Allen- yes the pulley is in-line with the mule drive. Also yes I have flipped and flopped and done just about everything else you can do with a belt.

I wish I could find someone close to me to come and look at it, I just don't have enough knowledge about this 128 yet (just got it a month ago)

Cory, I 'spose this will be my last try at this. Did you go to the bottom of the Forum home page and click on 'Manuals" yet? if not follow thru the steps and pick 'decks and mowers'. All sorts of stuff there...maybe you will find something everyone missed. We'll all keep cheering for you !
ADDL thought. Have you double checked the belt width? I wonder if you have a belt thats too wide will want to ride out of the pullys??
ADDL thought2. When in mowing position, is the entire deck pully aimed at the mule drive pullys? Was wondering if the deck is hanging crooked.

Allen- Yes I have checked the manuals for the tractor and the deck.
* No I haven't checked the belt width, but when I bought the belts I took them the IH Parts numbers and they gave me the exact belts I needed
*No I haven't checked to see if the deck "hangs" crooked when I let it down. I will check tomorrow when i get time.

Hey folks,

I've been lurking up until now, but I have a small problem with the mule drive idlers on my 147 with 48" rotary mower deck. The pulley on the side of the adjuster (opposite the tension spring)decided to disintegrate and remove itself from the tractor in the middle of the lawn last week. I have ordered two new IH-61176-C92 pulleys, but the only other parts of the assembly that could be located besides the shredded pulley were the bolt and what seems to be a single spacer that was stuck on the shoulder of the bolt. Does anyone know where I could find a photo detailing the proper assembly of these components and the missing washers? The exploded parts diagram doesn't show how any of it goes together, and since it took itself apart, I never saw the order in which the pulley, spacer, idler bracket, adjuster, and other bits were originally assembled.

Pictured below is everything I managed to find in the yard.

227450.jpg

I suppose the repair manuals might detail the assembly, but I've not had a chance to look for or purchase one, yet. I've only owned this tractor long enough to cut the grass twice and yank a few shrubs out of the ground with it, so I'm sure that you will all understand why I could use some assistance with something so seemingly simple.

KC Adams in Lake Stevens, Washington

Keith,
check out the parts lookup above, or the manuals link below....
thumbsup.gif

Cory, install the belt, lower the deck then look at it from the side. Does the belt line up with the center pulley or does the pulley appear to be nose down? If it appears to be nose down, check the lift rock-shaft where the mower sub-frame fork sets and see if there is a worn spot on the rock shaft and/or on the sub-frame fork. Also, check the front lift points on the sub-frame where they fit into the clevis on the front of the mower deck, are they worn? I had the same thrown belt a problem and mine was caused by wear in the points that I mentioned. I had a good friend do a little welding for me that took care of the problem, no more thrown belts.

Latest posts

Back