• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 01, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kendal,

I agree with you but some will insist on spelling it the other way.

Bruce Nolte,

Rig yourself up a die and you can go into business punching them out. Not to mention the contribution you would be making in keeping this great iron a rolling.

PTO on a 125 ggggggggggggrgrrrrrr. Later Don T
bash.gif

Tristan,
I've used those heimjoints on the 149 since 1993, they are still on there. They get dirty, and I do not lube them, so they won't attract dirt... After the restore, they are going back on. I beleive you can get boots for them from McMaster-Carr. I beleive they are sturdier than the stock, but the stock ones are pretty good, and look 'correct'. Before the heim joints, I used the stock ones with the "bailing wire modification" for 2 years...
biggrin.gif

Don T
I feel your pain... Why, I can still hear my dad's cuss words echoing in the woods here from 25 years ago rom working on those...

Scott T.,
Where did you see the boots listed in McM-Carr for those cool heim joints?

Thanks!
RWilke
beerchug.gif

Tristan:
Usual warning - get the ones with the studs in the balls, or you'll need to put washers between the joints and the steering arms to get proper clearance...the ones from CC Specialties are the correct type.

Bruce:
Make me a pair of 'em.....
bouncy.gif

Cub Cadet 1450.
On the top edge on the front in the triangular section of each of the side panels for the 1450 are two holes that permit a spring that pulls the side panels toegther in tension. After 30 years of use the vibration of the spring in those two holes is wearing through the panel and I'd like matching the profile of the "V" to provide more thickness to that location. I'm thinking a spot weld would do the job, but a Buddy suggested using epoxy to fasten two small steel washers on either side of the panel to increase thickness of the metal in the area and achieve tha same goal. Has anyone out there experienced the same problem and how was it resolved? Is the side panel metal thick enough (.066) to withstand any type weld? Is there an industrial strength adhesive that will work? Whose is it? (Forget Gorilla glue or Krazy Glue the vibration makes short work of these. I'm looking for suggestions.

I definitely recommend the Heim joints with the studs in them. We have been using them on Dad's 149 for probally 25 years. They have been through everything and I dont think they have ever been lubed. They have even held together when the fron axle broke both times.... blasted pulley groves!!! When my stock ones on my 1450 go they will be replaced with the Heim joints. I even used them on my go-kart when I was younger.

Gary:
Welding?
Find someone with a TIG (AKA Heliarc) - you can weld tissue paper thin steel with the right TIG torch and amperage control (I'm using a Miller Synchrowave 200 and have been putting lap joints on sheet metal with almost no visible heat line on the back side..)
If you want to glue, use a good industrial epoxy - I'd use the type that takes a while to set - the 5 minute type usually sacrifices bond strength for quick setting....

Latest posts

Back