• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 01, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK guys, been a little while since I posted. The 1000 I picked up a few months back is doing a great job - except the fact that it isnt charging the batt so I got to hook it up to the charger after each take at the lawn. Not to worried as I have yet to bother to dig out my voltmeter to troubleshoot. I got the 1000 just in time though... my 129 is having motor problems:

My 129 seems to be overheating. After maybe 10-20 minutes or so mowing it seems to want to loose power, more so when you bog it down. I often have to completely stop to let the rpm's build back up. Not good. Then it starts blowing smoke out of the oil fill. Not good at all. Only thing I know seems to be wrong is that the muffler end is comming appart. Would hot exhaust gasses spewed on the front of the motor cause this? Even the air intake gets to hot to touch for more than a breif second or unscrew. It was running quite fine up until the start of summer... mowed the lawn with it a few times.

Allen:
Been in the shop all day - deadline drawing near on the (OT) Cushman project - didn't have the sonar on till now... Server seems fine, users need pinging.

Tristan:
If hot exhaust is blowing on the carb, yeah, that could be a problem.. other than that check:
1: Shroud plugged with grass/mouse nests
2: Timing off (points closed, making timing late)
3: Carb misadjusted (spell check suggests "maladjusted", which in my opinion is possible with some temperamental carbs) .
4: Leaking head gasket (opens up after getting warm)
5: Possible bad condenser on ignition..

Have fun !!!!

Frank; Today i got my parts for the 124 creeper from Charlie, and assembled the creeper. I turned the driveshaft and the wheels didn't turn. I done this about five times and couldn't get it to work. I had about given up when my son walked up and i told him my problem. He looked at it and said "Wouldn't you have to put the transmission in gear". Well DUH that was my problem all that time. So i know how you felt.
153965.jpg

Frank Snerd
Two problems come to mind:
1. The ends of the shifting yoke are worn (the part that fits in the shifting collar) and it is not fully "in gear".
2. The round "nub/tip" on the poppet shifting lever on the outside of the case is worn, and not seating in the detents in the case. The nub and the detents hold the creeper in the slected gear range.

Tristan,
Been there done that with the damaged muffler spewing hot exhaust gasses on the carburetor, actually causing vapor lock. A little concerned about the smoke though, when it overheats, other damage can occur. Take care of the muffler first, then see if it is okay then.

Paul Bell (Pbell) -

are you saying my problem is likely in the creeper drive, not the main transmission?

creeper would be better. I have a service manual for it.

tiller question when using my 2a tiller on my 1200 when turning it really digs a deep "hole" in the dirt do i have something adjusted or installed wrong or is this just what happens
153972.jpg

I'd have to say your turning capabilities are very limited with poor results with the tiller

Thanks Scott
I already split the 149. Man did I make a huge mess--Hy-Tran everywhere. I read about using neoprene instead of cork. Are you guys getting your gasket material from auto parts stores?
I did get some seat time this a.m. though. Mowed my front yard w/ my newly acquired 100 and started my backyard w/ the 149 until a belt broke. Funny, I never needed a back-up Cub until I had one. Ian

Spent a little time in the garage today, which seems to have been taken over by tractors. My carburetor kits arrived today, so I put one to use on the 125, whose carb runneth over due to a stuck float. After pumping up the tires, greasing the front end and the mower deck, and hitting some of the linkages with grease, I took it on a couple of laps around the yard. The engine runs great, with plenty of power, and it seems a bit smoother than the motor on my 129. I wonder if it has balance gears inside the engine, or is something else at work? In any event, the bulky EZ vac makes for careful maneuvering, and the slightly narrower 42 inch mower does not extend out as far as the one on my 129, which makes it harder to see exactly where the edge of the mower is, but the deck is serviceable, though a bit rusty. Here is a shot of it in my driveway, next to my parts machines.

153983.jpg

I also made a bit of progress on the hood of the 102, I got it stripped down and just about ready for primer. A lot of rust and small dings under the layers of old paint, I'll probably have to spray and sand several coats of primer before its ready for finish coat. My neighbor stopped by in his ATV, and he left with 4 wheels from the 102 that have a date with his sandblaster. He didn't recommend sandblasting the hood with his sandblaster, he said it would probably warp it. (It is powered by a 65 horsepower air compressor)
bubbly.gif

153984.jpg

Richard Barnes,

Yes Sir.. wire ain't cheep. If you do another one that way an inexpencive way to mark your wires would be to add heat shrink to the ends simular to the way resistors are marked. Even differing widths of varing colors. If you ever have to start chasing wires you will be glad you did. But I'm sure you won't have any problems with yours. Now the next guy ??? Enjoy your Cubs man.

Concerning the hydro pump to transmission gasket,
I seem to recall that there was a question --- neopreNe or neopreMe,
I think it was decided that it was neopreMe.
Both show up in a search of the archives, and they are different materials (Google)

One more question guys... since my 129 had the overheating issue and I've been using the 1000, I had a tie rod that popped out and I dont know if its worn or something but it wont stay together. A nylon zip tie worked to finish the lawn at least...

Is it worth the extra money to get the heavy duty Heim Joint Front End Tie Rod Ends? Like http://ccspecialties.org/heimjoint.jpg

I guess its only $10 more, they just screw on without any modification or other parts right?

Hate to run this into the ground even more. But is the neopreMe gasket stuff readily available? I read through a ton of old posts and never saw anyone mention where to get this stuff. Can I get it at Napa and the like? Thanks, Ian

Thanks Robert and Kevin
Thanks for the link Cubfaq link too.
Are you guys using neopreme for the diff cover too? Or is it not available in sheets that big? I guess I'll find out today when I get some. Thanks again. Ian

Uhhh... not to be a doubting Thomas, but I don't believe there is a gasket material named "NEOPREME". I can find many mispellings of neoprene on the net by individuals, but in many of the same hits, I see the correct spelling also.. I cannot find a manufacturer that lists "NEOPREME" as a product.......
dunno.gif

Hmmm,
Using Neoprene instead of Cork on the Hydro pump gasket gives me an idea. I have several square feet of 1/16" thick neoprene diaphragm material. If I had a pattern, I could probably make one or several out of that material. It should work quite well, but the material is very tough to cut, since it is reinforced with polyester cord.

Latest posts

Back