• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 01, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbell

displayname
Paul Bell
Rick.
You made two statements that kinda have a bearing on what Cub Cadet will do for the 50th,

quote: "Granted, not that many of us are going to head out and buy a new Cub Cadet, but......"

and

quote: "It just seems like we're on the side lines instead of on the field."

Selling new Cub Cadets is the business Cub Cadet/MTD is in, and like in most consumer dependent businesses, the "bean counters" determine what the consumer wants, or more importantly, will buy, and in todays "throwaway society" that is buy as cheaply as possible and when it no longer works in 2-3 years buy another one. They are not in the "business" of making and selling parts for 30 and 40 year old tractors that they did not build, although they have been VERY GOOD about doing just that, and I for one thank them for their efforts and support. You have to remember, we as lovers and or collectors of IH built Cub Cadets are just a small part of their "customer base", and to expect them to cater just to "us" for a 50th anniversary I believe is a bit far fetched. Include us in their plans, good chance of it, but do it all for us, no.

So, we are on the sidelines and not on the field. In an indirect way, the two main Cub Cadet forums were asked for some ideas/input for a 50th anniversary (and there were some pretty wierd and far fetched suggestions posted), but by and large, the members of the forums were never "in charge" of what was to take place regardless of what some members seem to think. The bottom line is Cub Cadet/MTD wants to recognize the heritage and 50th anniversary of the Cub Cadet line, but it will be in a way that benifits them, and I look forward to whatever that may be............<font size="-2">however a retro 100 would be nice</font>
yummy.gif
lol.gif

To add some more fuel to the fire - I'm in an industry that designs, plans, develops, tests, and build things. A 3 year turn around for a new design isn't really realistic, even in this age of software, etc. I thought IH's turn around with their tractor back in 1960 was simply amazing, and will never happen today. I have a brochure from 1994 for the then new 2000 series design lawn tractors http://cubcadet.hostrator.com/cc1994-2000.pdf that says that design was "the result of 4 years of research and development". MTD might be able to cobble up a design in less time, but it will just be a rehash of what they currently sell, sort of what they did for the 40th.

If our comments have zero influence on MTD, then why would they bother reading this thread?

I don't see them building a retro Cub Cadet (be nice if they did, I just don't see it). I would like to see more marketing in toy stores and dealers in scale models. I'm so tired of seeing all of the Green stuff in stores and kids sand boxes.

If MTD does build something retro, I think they need to target more like IH did originally with the Original. Grounds crews and light industrial to small farm use. Not just suburban lawn mowers. Even the small Yanmar/Cub Cadets can be too big for some areas. Get back with Brinly and do some better marketing of the sleeve hitch and attachments. Gardening is getting back into vogue with the economy the way it is and with the health concious society. Cub Cadet needs to hit that market big. Ads in gardening magazines and TV shows. Product placement in shows and farm exhibits. The Four State Farm Show in Pittsburg, KS is pretty big and they do nothing there. The Fall Farm Fest in Springfield, MO is pretty big and they do nothing there but John Deere hits it big with lots of merchandizing and product displays.

Of course we all know the ROOTS of Cub Cadet aren't just with IH, but with the purpose IH built them for: Ground Engaging equipment and durability, ease of use and style.

Waste and E-Waste is being eyed by the public now. The throw-away society is slowing and many are looking for better quality to last. Green initiatives are being driven by government and industry. Buying quality will once again be what brings our country back to the top. Please MTD, tap into that market now before someone else does.

Paul & All,

I may have been taken somewhat more literal than I expected. I certainly would not expect to see anything reproduced like the old iron that we collect. Styling...maybe a bit. Retro is in.
If a person is content to not let their feelings or desires for a product be heard that is well within their rights. This is a brand that we would all like to see succeed and if we as the end user / old iron collector can give the big cheeses at the top just the slightest hint of a direction that we like, then good for us.
Just don't whine when they paint them purple with poka dots if you have not voiced your opinion. That's kinda what make America so great. Little people can do big things if the desire is there.

I have seen plenty in the manufacturing / product development arena. Designers really appreciate having input in a product that is consumer driven instead of the big boss man's far fetched idea of the day. So, let's say a photo of a Hot Rod 4cyl Original falls on a desk in Tennessee...and the old light bulb goes of in a young designers head..... and three hours later he's got it modeled up on screen and his superviser takes a liking to it...kinda cool thought huh? Sometimes things happen that way.

I currently work in the product development center of the largest blow molding company in North America so I have a fair idea of how this stuff comes about.

This thread has sat idle for months, now we're talking about this which is good. Somebody some where has something to read if indeed the MTD folks pop in here.

Cheers to all & Paul.
beerchug.gif

Rick,
That's southern Minnesota. Digger ran way up north and they don't have those signs because MN, ND, Canada are all the same thing up there.
lol.gif

You need the Paul Bunyan statue for the pig to jump over then it would be northern MN.

All: If you bothered to click on that url and actually sent MTD a comment on the 50th Anniversary model you would have gotten a reply from them...I did and got a very nice reply. Nooo, they didn't tell me any "secrets" but they are paying attention!! Tell'em!!

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Let's leave Paul in Bangor, Maine, where he started out.
181975.jpg

bouncy.gif

Myron,

I have also had a nice couple of e-mail conversations that were very personable and informative.

MTD has genuine pride of product and caring for what the Cub Cadet brand loyalist thinks.
The planing stages of the 50th are underway for 2011 and consumer (us) input is appreciated and encouraged.
They have heard many requests on a retro look and seem very interested in that as well.

I definatly encourage forum members (and administrators) to take the time to write your thoughts on the 50th celebration and possibly mention a retro model in their future line up.

Shape the future,collect the past.

Rick

Rick/Myron-
I'm glad to hear that Cub Cadet is interested in listening to it's loyal customers. That's a rare thing in today's world.

Have they mentioned what their thoughts are for a "<font color="ff0000">50th</font>" model if any?

Here's my take.. I'm sure most forum members have seen this "retro" <font color="ff0000">FORD 8N</font> that <font color="0000ff">New Holland</font> has come out with in recent years.

181981.jpg

(If not just GOOGLE search "<font color="0000ff">Boomer 8N</font>")

Although it's not really my cup of tea, this would be a way that Cub Cadet could find the delicate middle-line and build something for the 50th that appeals to "Mr. Joe Homeowner" as well as those of us who dig the older <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> stuff.

It's obviously just a new "<font color="0000ff">Boomer</font>" tractor with sheetmetal made to look like the old <font color="ff0000">Ford 8N</font>, but it's pretty neat.

OK, maybe it IS my cup of tea, but just a little to rich for my blood right now. (I'm still waiting on the money-train to come pulling into the station.)
biggrin.gif

Art, Rick... The "brass" at MTD is very conscious that there is significant interest in a Retro look. I have offered them my suggestions about an 80's (82 series) look. They themselves produced most of those anyway.. I was not given any "secrets" and do not know what they are actually doing b - u - t, importantly, they are listening and paying attention !! Send 'em a message and tell 'em what you think...

Myron B

Would it be too much to ask to have NO METRIC nuts and/or bolts?

Art I saw the Bommer/8N back in April up at the Oshkosh Farm Power show. I thought NH did a Great job with that Retro upgrade.I don't recall the price ^$^,but I'd buy one if I won the Lottery... Cub Cadet 50th would be another story!!

A non-metric tractor would be impossible now. Heck, even spark plugs have been ALL metric since about 1920-1930.

If You work on anything manufactured since about 1975 You have had to get metric tools. The fact We still have things made half SAE and half Metric is because the US is one of I think THREE countries left in the world that has not gone totally metric.

AMYHOW, back on topic, a retro-782 would be a popular tractor I think.

I'd just like to see a good series of diecasts put out in honor of the brand..I haven't worn out the 129 yet, so I wouldn't be buying a new one 1:1 scale anyway..
proud.gif

If I may. The reoccurring theme here is "I won't/can't buy one though". I think I can saftly say that we love our old Cub Cadets. We love them because of past memories, durability, versatility, and the pride that can only come from getting your hands dirty working on them.

Today's consumer, the guy that's going to actually go into debt to buy a new Cub, want's to cut his yard and maybe move some snow. Assuming this to be true, CCC has little to gain by trying to make a new retro look Cub as solid and versatile as our old iron. And there is little incentive in them going all out on a garden tractor when a compact tractor would be a more likely candidate for all the hydraulics and diesel power plant.

I hate to be the one to say it. ...But there is no going back to the way it was. Change has happened. We need to be happy with what we have. People have out grown the outhouse. It's the past. And people have outgrown a sense of self sufficiency. It's in the past.

We don't all need to be riding and working show tractors. But we should do our best to help make sure the proper repairs are done properly. Cub Cadets are like oil. Everyone thinks there is enough to last forever. But like oil, there is only so much that is available to us for parts and working units. It would be nice if CCC made one like ________________________ (fill in the blank). But we the keepers of this living history need to take care of what was left to us by the "Greatest Generation". For what it's worth.

Richard,

Very well put. I doubt most of us "Collectors" could scape up the money to buy a new tractor. I doubt I could justify it or afford it. I would still like to see CCC do something like the Boomer 8N with a GT size tractor just to have a modern retro GT. Probably, would be easiest to make a plastic hood/enclosure package to look like and 82 Series.

I just hope they do something and run a nice tribute with collectibles and a nice celebration.

John Underwood, I agree with you. Except for the plastic. I hope the powers to be realize that steel is "greener" than plastic. I think the new N8 (ish) looked fantastic. But so do the new Freight-Liners.

Retro is very cool. And I think Mustang has proven the right retro sells.

Latest posts

Back