• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 14, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpalmer

displayname
Richard Palmer
Kraig McConaughey, larry andreo,

That's what I originally said.
Monday, July 13, 2009 - 04:10 pm:
Very basiclly this seems true. But it's the way the units are externally wired and not because they are totally different from other generators.

If your starter generator has two wires on the A terminal (the one from the starter solenoid) here's what's going on. The two wires are 1.) battery voltage from the solenoid. And 2.) the generator wire. When you start the tractor you get the battery voltage applied to the generator wire and it should be polarized as it starts.

If you have only one wire on the A terminal it is the battery voltage from the solenoid. The generator wire on there tractors is connected to the solenoid where it gets it's battery voltage when the tractor starts. Thus making it appear that they are self polarizing. And depending on how you want to look at it maybe they are. But don't assume they are and that you will never need to polarize yours.

Paul Dorow (Pdorow)-

my 128 stalling problem.

it cant be carbon build up on the valve. i removed the engine and head, a guy i know cleaned it in a hot tank, then inspected it and reseated the valves.
i also use marvel mystery oil.

could be timing. will check that.

Richard P. / Kraig McC. / Larry A. / Dennis F.,

Thanks for all the input, Fellas!
thumbsup.gif

So if I'm understanding this all correctly, what it seems to boil down to - for ME, since I have a single wire to my A terminal on my S/G - I shouldn't need to concern myself with re-polarizing my system because it does it to itself everytime I start the ol' Dude....
coffee.gif

Thanks again, Guys!
Ryan Wilke
beerchug.gif

Frank S,
Have you disconnected the fuel line from the carb and just let it run into a container for a few minutes and checked for fuel flow that way?

You mentioned the in-tank strainer. Have you removed the shut-off valve and inspected the strainer to see if it's collapsed and partially clogged?

Do you have another Cub with a know good coil you could try? I know you said it still has the same symptoms after changing everything, but that doesn't mean the new parts you put on aren't bad too like one of the old parts. That's what makes trouble shooting so difficult when lots of parts are changed at the same time and it still acts up.

Good luck,
Keith

From the 86-169 Service Manual, page 1-43:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

After any electrical tests or replacement of components that require the opening of various circuits, the generator should be repolarized following the removal of meters and replacement of all wires and cables in their normal operating positions. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

That is a bit vague, but I repolarize after removing or installing a regulator or disassembling/reassembling the starter generator. I will note that I fried a regulator once by forgetting to do this.

Can someone (Kraig?) post a picture or diagram of a wiring system on a 100? The guy that had mine before me replaced the key with a toggle switch and the push button was gone. Most of the harness is still in good shape but want to get it back to original or as close as I can anyway.
bouncy.gif

I could also use a close up of the carb and throttle linkages just to make sure I put them back on correctly. I know I know, I should have taken a pic before I took them apart but what can I say? Its me
dizzy.gif

162596.jpg

I keep forgetting to thank Roland for creating these nice colored wiring diagrams.
blush.gif

I believe the choke and throttle connections on a 100 should be like they are on a 125. Note these photos were taken of two different engines, it's not clean on one side and greasy on the other...
wink.gif

162598.jpg

Choke connection above.

162599.jpg

Throttle connection above.

Matt-
I'm not sure why <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> put that part about repolarization in there, but that info is for a simple generator. Our cubbies use a Starter-Generator.

Here's what the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Kohler manual states:
162602.jpg

I've removed the S/G and/or regulator more than once from a Cub, and have never repolarized. In my opinion, if you fried a regulator, it was either a bad regulator, or something else was amiss...

Frank S,

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you set the carburetor high and low speed needles per the service manaul. I just wanted to mention that those needle settings are just starting points and you will need to make further adjustments with the engine running and warmed up to find the sweet spot settings. Not sure if this would be contributing to your engine stall problem but just wanted to mention it in case you didn't know that.

I Have been reading the post today and Iam wondering how do you polarize a generater I have a 102 and a 109 I just would like to know how to do it if I ever have too. I have the Manuals for both tractors does it tell you in the Manuals? I looked on the FAQ and didnt see anything maybe I missed it.

frank snerd,

I remembered a post and took another look at your videos.

I have one question you should check on and one comment you might not like.

162604.jpg

Is this an exhaust leak? If so you mat be having vapor lock.

The other thing is that it looks like you are running a Walbro carburetor. They are reputed to have problems even when they are brand new. I hope you whip this soon.

Hey I was up at my uncles today and he has an old 53-4 Bolens sitting up there. I noticed it had a sleave pin hitch on it and it looks identical to one that fits on a NF Cub. I was wondering if they were made by another company for Cub Cadet and other tractor companies, and if they were all the same and if it would work on my 104 or 106? The mounting brackets are different but they could be modified to work.

Willis, I went back to a few posts for a review...and this the real poop. Generators have to be polarized, BUT, we use a starter/generator. When first fired up the motor section polarizes the generator section. ERGO<font size="-2">(therefore)</font>: nothing to worry about.
thumbsup.gif

Here is my look what followed me home post. I pick up a 59M shredder Sunday. It is in real good shape with and even came with all three screens. I got it mounted today but need to get the gas tank on my tractor before I can try it out.

I do have one request though. This is the later design shredder and it is missing the belt shield that covers the drive belt. If anyone has that cover and could send me a picture and some dimensions I would appreciate it. It looks pretty easy to make so I cold just make one.

Thanks,
John

162609.jpg

162610.jpg

162611.jpg

I'm back home in Maryland from my bimonthly medical appointment down at Duke. My oncologist had good news, my last 3 MRIs have been stable, and he feels good enough about the situation that I can return to bimonthly MRIs, and don't need to see him again until November. Still have to do the monthly rounds of Chemo until at least the end of the year, but things are hopefully looking up.

We haven't had much rain in the last couple of weeks, but I got out and mowed about 2/3 of the yard this evening, mostly to knock down the thistle, clover, and other weeds that tend to stick up. It was nice, I was able to throttle back a bit and push the hydro lever forward a bit more to keep my speed up, so for the most part the old K301 was just loafing along.

Hope maybe to get the engine installed in my 102 project tomorrow, though it might be pushing it a bit to get things to the point it will be ready to light off, but I'm sure if I'm close, I'll either work until I get it running, or until I hit a roadblock of some type.

Newbie Cadet Owner... Long first post.
Hi folks,
I recently was given a 123 Hydrostat. It's all original. It was sitting for 5-6 years. The engine was replaced in 1984. When I got it there was 1/2 inch of varnish in the sediment bowl, so I cleaned it and replaced the cork gasket. Also, I removed the carb and cooked it in a pot of very hot soapy water to break down the gum in the jets. I then disassembled it cleaned and re-assembled it. Then I ran to the local Parts Plus and obtained a new battery.
All I needed was gasoline. After a desperate search there was none to be found... ah!! the airplane !! I siphoned off a gallon of avgas and dumped it in the cub. I turned on the fuel and waited until the bowel filled I started cranking at 1/4 throttle pulled the choke in for 2 or 3 revolutions and pushed it in. When I did, it fired and ran like a clock ! It is equipped with an ammeter which I suspect was added later and it indicated a 10 amp charge. Also, the mower deck works.
So it sounds like all is well except it is difficult to steer and all the rod ends are worn out.
I will be replacing them as cash permits.
I read about how to rebuild the steering gear in the FAQs.
I'm sure I will be pestering you with many questions....
Thanks for reading, Joe

For those of you who have installed upright exhaust on your cubs . I am looking for a little insight . I have my own ideas but if you've already installed this on yours you might have a better idea. looking for muffler dimensions and pluming ideas. pics are cool too

Bruce Nolte,

Good news is always good. I'm glad to hear you are doing well. And apparently so is your Cub. Take care and have fun with the 102. - Peace -

More 100 progress. I plated some more bolts, including the IH battery hold down bolts and the U-bolt for the spring assist. I'm getting down to a small pile of weird-shaped things to plate. I'll probably spend most of the weekend trying to figure out how to plate those.

162620.jpg

162621.jpg

I also assembled the clutch. The paint got pretty dinged up, but no one is going to see it, at least. My clutch spring compressor works great for this.

Back